Alternatives to CrazyEgg (link tracking, heatmap solutions)
    Someone recommended CrazyEgg to me this week, and I followed up briefly but couldn't find much information at their site. (I also see that rematt recommended the service here a few months ago, and JoyUnltd recommended it last year -- that post mentions a free service level which they don't offer any more)

This morning, I tried calling and spoke with someone who answered some questions, leading me to conclude that the CrazyEgg service is severely limited in ways that would prevent me from using it. Since I now realize that the service has been around for at least a year, I suspect that it's unlikely to be updated so I could use it.

But I'd love to use this kind of technology, to track and visually identify which links on a page are being clicked, and to visually view differences in activity based on referring URL. Unfortunately, according to their staff, this service only works with very elementary web pages where absolutely everything is 100% static. The following appear to disable the service:
    - any variations in page appearance based on browser types;
    - variable width layouts, which expand or narrow to fit in a browser window;
    - any parameters (for example, a gclid parameter from Google), even if they don't otherwise affect page appearance.

Since I use URL parameters to track the source of paid seach traffic, and since very few of my non-PopShops affiliate sites use fixed-width page designs, it appears that CrazyEgg's service won't work for me.

Does anyone have a different suggestion?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heatmap Analytics
    We're using Labsmedia www.labsmedia.com for this. It works pretty well and since it's open source, it was free (til we decided we liked it and then made a donation).

If I'm remembering correctly there is a Piwik plugin too if you want a full analytics package along with heatmaps, etc. We use Piwik too (www.piwik.org, which is also open source) but have them on different servers.

Scott

Why don't you try Php scripts for link tracking. It's pretty handy to use, connecting to your database.

I use ClickHeat as well, at least on a limited basis. It works for what I want to know.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I'm using Piwik which can display data in bar and pie charts and tracks campaigns. PopShops links are all grouped together visually. I also use Clickheat now rather than CrazyEgg which can track liquid layouts. It's very simple to install and configure.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Mouseflow.com
    A nice alternative to CrazyEgg is Mouseflow.com that gives you heatmaps of the users' clicks and movements, but more importantly records whole user sessions (mouse movements, scroll events, keystrokes, clicks) and lets you play back the sessions in your browser.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Unlinked

Moderator Note: Unlinked company name.

Do you realize you're bumping a 1 1/2 year old thread to spam your site?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

lasse
    Ah, I can see that, sorry. I came across the thread on a google search and couldn't help adding the link to that great service

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread