Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How were your trick or treaters?
    So, did anybody have any reaaaaally good costumes last night? Halloween's kinda a big event in our neighborhood and my niece brings the two youngest over. After they go around the neighborhood they give out the candy to the kids. (They really enjoy doin that ) In our neighborhood we all bring the goodies outside and sit on our steps. I always make brownies for my nieces and nephews too then send the rest home with em. (a simple thing but for some reason is always a big deal to them lol )

Guess the most unusual award this year would go to 3 girls maybe 12 or 13 that were dressed up as candy. They had big boxes they had made and candy wrappers were glued onto them. Had a whole buncha little princesses.(which they all looked adorable) Had one monster who growled at me. lol We had a lower turnout I think cos we had the Phillies parade in the afternoon which lasted a lot longer than had been expected. Think the little ones were really pretty tired by the time night came around. Still had about 100 little goblins, tho. Had one cute little Dorothy with a live little Toto with her. Had a whole lot more girls this year, too. Don't know if that coulda had somethin to do with the parade or not either, tho.

Best one last year was a washing machine. There again they had a box and had cotton balls glued all over it for the soap. So.....how'd the rest of you do??

ABW Ambassador
    "How were your trick or treaters?"

Where I live now, first Halloween I was all excited, had the candy ready, 0 trick or treaters. This time, had 1. Didn't have any candy but I gave them my last 2 boxes of animal cookies

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Why we hardly get any trick-or-treaters:

1. House in the middle-of-nowhere
    2. Dead-end street, no streetlights
    3. Long driveway
    4. House not visible from road
    5. Not many kids in the neighborhood (not many houses, either)

So pretty much the only kids we get are from the immediate area. It's very disappointing. In the supermarket last week I was in the checkout line behind a woman who had filled her entire shopping cart with Halloween candy. I said wistfully, "Wow, you must get a ton of kids on Halloween." She replied, "Want some of them?"

I was sick in bed with a really drip nose cold. My husband handed out the candy so not sure what kind of costumes came to the door but I could hear them from upstairs. Got about 200 kids. They always drop kids off in our neighborhood by the carloads since it's safer here and we live in a development with 183 houses and kids can walk safely across the street, etc. My son went out on his own with his friend and got about 220 pcs of candy. Their goal is to beat their previous years record My daughter was one of 3 m&ms with her friends. She was red, one was yellow and one was green. They looked really cute together.

My parents' house always get a lot of trick-or-treaters so I dressed up in my vampire costume and handed out candy.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    MrsHound handles it here and she said:

1. Way less kids this year - ran out of candy last year, more than 1/2 left over this year;
    2. Way fewer little kids, more older kids - maybe some too old for trick-or-treating;
    3. Almost all wearing home-made costumes - not the case in past years.

The weather did just change here - 90 at the beginning of the week, cold and rainy last night.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    My parents' house always get a lot of trick-or-treaters so I dressed up in my vampire costume and handed out candy.
    Ok Rhia,

The honeylloween is over !

Time to change avatar to the real one.

--------------

Thanks, now you don't look that scarey anymore!
    Last edited by Mr. Sal; November 1st, 2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: The Sun came out... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Ok Rhia,

The honeylloween is over !

Time to change avatar to the real one.

Okay, I changed it. Loxly's friend took the picture.

[ off-topic: I could think of a couple of good lines for your daylight savings time thread but I restrained myself ]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Okay, I changed it. Loxly's friend took the picture.

[ off-topic: I could think of a couple of good lines for your daylight savings time thread but I restrained myself ]
    You look better on that one.

about the DST thread... Go for it! We're gaining an extra hour anyway. :-)

"but I gave them my last 2 boxes of animal cookies"
    Awwwwh I could go for a box of them now. lol yummy

Awwh, sorry Rhea that you don't get many...but I'm sure it must be really nice living out in the country where you do I'm in a row home with a ton of kids around. We also, get kids from other neighborhoods that might not be the safest so they come here. Since I've been here it's ranged from a low of 90 one year to a high of 140....so kinda hard to guess where it's gonna be. lol

Key strategy is buy the candy that ya like, just in case. lol

ladidah
    Hope you're feelin better Agree with ya on the m&m costumes didn't have any this year but have in the past and they're always adorable.

Rhia7
    "I dressed up in my vampire costume and handed out candy."
    lol Halloween's right up there for my favorite holidays cos I love givin out the candy

AffiliateHound
    If I'd have known, I coulda thrown ya over some of our candy lol I've got some left over. I'll be surrounded by them Hershey bars and m&m's now that'll just be callin out to me. lol

We had less too but just not sure if it wasn't the parade's fault.
    Had a lot of the homemade costumes, too. Seemed like a lot wore same as last year, too.

Any of you that have the costumes on your sites.....have ya noticed that ones popular aren't the ones the kids are wearing. lol Least in my neighborhood. lol First year I think there were no power rangers, sponge bobs, etc. This year much more plain types except the little princesses were really all dolled up.

We had great weather this year. We had the cold weather for the baseball games, but was in the 60's I think for the parade and didn't need a coat or anything last night. Was great weather

And.......I have a black and PURPLE spider. lol He's fuzzy. lol All in all it was nice this year

I took my daughter trick or treating in my neighboor hood and we live in a good neighboorhood, last year was so much better this year in a block that has 12 houses on each side, my daughter came home after going to 9 blocks with 19 pieces of candy, so I handed out handfuls of candy, some parents gave me the evil eye as I filled their 3 year olds bucket to the rim with sugar goodness. After literally giving away big huge handfuls of candy I still have a whole bucket full of candy, not the same as last year, I had my lights on all night, and nothing
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Except for the dead-end street part sounds like Rhea lives where I do. No Trick-or-Treaters out here.

Country Trick or Treating
    I live in the country about 8 miles outside our small town.. under 3000....

So we pack up and drive to town with the kids, the truck, and the horse trailer. The fully decorated horse trailer. Along with every other horsey family from far and wide.

We back all those trailers into rows and all the kids from far and wide come in with their parents and we just have a party in a gravel parking lot at the auction barn.

It's pretty fun... Then when things die down we load up the kids, the bushel basket or two of candy they collected and drive back home.

The best this year was a guy that raises Clydesdales. His Semi-Tractor/Horse Trailer combo was converted into a full haunted house and they gave away free hot dogs and apple cider to the kids. Now I have a serious case of Horse Trailer Envy.

Scott

"No Trick-or-Treaters out here."
    awwwhh, I'm sorry for you guys that don't get the little goblins.

openrsm
    that sounds like you guys really have a great time.

One of the highlights from the Phillies parade yesterday was we had the Clydesdales They were pulling the first truck. Never have seen them in our area before.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    We set up at our business right in town. We only got maybe 40 kids this year. We have a ton of candy left, even after loading the kids right up.

Way less kids than less year. No really spectacular costumes.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Zero Kids, l've on what is now a 4 lane road, it's much safer for the kids to go into the packed (little houses, little lots) neighboorhood across the street than risk 4 lanes of high speed traffic to come here. It's been that way since they widened the street. I've been eating thier candy all day (I only get the stuff I like now. . . bigger candy bars, those 'fun-size' are silly and get smaller every year )

When I first moved into this house about 17 years ago, the first Halloween I had about 80 to 100 kids come by. It's been going down every since but this year was worse than I expected. Maybe got 20 kids and that included 5 or 6 teenagers that shouldn't have been out.

I noticed a lot of houses were dark this year, it seems like a lot of people didn't even give out candy in this area. I'm guessing some of it has to do with kids going to sponsored events at the mall or downtown.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

hmmm feel sorry for those of you not getting the little goblins.

"I'm guessing some of it has to do with kids going to sponsored events at the mall or downtown"

Probably right. Hope our neighborhood doesn't get to that point, tho. I like it the way it is now and look forward to it. Would miss it if it became that way

We have a block party, too each year. Maybe you guys don't have them either?

Quote Originally Posted by openrsm
    I live in the country about 8 miles outside our small town.. under 3000....

So we pack up and drive to town with the kids, the truck, and the horse trailer. The fully decorated horse trailer. Along with every other horsey family from far and wide.

We back all those trailers into rows and all the kids from far and wide come in with their parents and we just have a party in a gravel parking lot at the auction barn.

It's pretty fun... Then when things die down we load up the kids, the bushel basket or two of candy they collected and drive back home.

The best this year was a guy that raises Clydesdales. His Semi-Tractor/Horse Trailer combo was converted into a full haunted house and they gave away free hot dogs and apple cider to the kids. Now I have a serious case of Horse Trailer Envy.

Scott
    Hey that sounds interesting. I like hearing about other people's way of doing things differently. Thanks for sharing!

I would also definitely have trailer envy. When I lived in Kansas city sans kids and sans husband I remember living across the street of a family that would turn their garage into a haunted house every year and had garage envy ever since. That is why I like making mine into a haunted house every year. Kids and adults look forward to it. This year it didn't happen with all the work spending on the computer and with AM. Plus I got sick

Haloween Trailer Envy
    Yes Ladidah... I have "trailer envy". But am building a smaller version of a Studebaker Wagon (ala Bud Clydesdale Wagon) at scale for my Haflingers so maybe next year I'll hitch the Haffers up and give hayrides around the auction barn.

The funniest thing was at the end of the parking lot is a country bar. They gave away bucketloads of candy to the kids and pony beers to the parents who wanted one.

"Trick or Beer"???

Scott

I moved within the last year and to my dismay not a single trick or treater came to my door. Why the dismay? Because I bought TONS of candy !
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

lol This thread I have to say has really kinda surprised me. I had just assumed everybody more or less had the same as what we have in my area. Guess it's the kid in me but I just can't imagine a Halloween and not havin any of the little goblins coming.

I do know that some churches in the area have their own little Halloween parties, but the kids still go around for trick or treatin. I've got 4 churches within just a couple blocks from me and we still average each year I guess between the 110 and 130 amounts if ya take away the real low year and high year.

If ya do have a reeallllly lot amount of candy there is another thread about giving it to an orginization that sends it to our troops, some hospitals take it, naturally if there's an orphanage in your area or maybe even a school may take it. If all else fails......gobble it up yourself just kiddin. Have to admit tho.....I have eaten a few Hershey bars and m&m's....just the teeny ones and they were awfully yummy

46 kids came to my door. Many of the little girls were in beautiful princess dresses. There was a darling baby boy in a ducky costume. Lots of them were teenagers.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

"Many of the little girls were in beautiful princess dresses."
    Yeap, that was the most popular in our area, too. And, definitely agree they were really very pretty

I forgot about the little ducky lol We had a really cute one, too. He had a cute little white tail. lol He was a little fella, last year he must've been tuckered out and stopped on our lawn and sat for a bit til his Dad came and got him. Sooooo cute when they're that little. Had a cute little giraffe that Mommy carried I had forgotten to mention, too.

We had a lot of teenagers this year, too. Mostly all girls.

46 missdonna? Did you count? Teehee.

We got 5 sets of kids - a total of maybe 10 kids. Sigh. We had too much candy, so we were trying to encourage the kids to take lots and lots of candy, but we still had some left over.

purplebear - we live in Abington. I was pretty amazed those people came out in spite of the Phillies parade. What a scene!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast