Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ...well they're no friends of mine.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/11....ap/index.html

Happy Friday.

-patrice

That has to be the most stupid thing I have read in my life.

People can accept the rule not to dance?
    What the heck?
    Religion is so out of whack it’s unbelievable. They may be changing now but talk about CRAZY!

Makes me wonder if converting to an Agnostic is the best way to go.

This world is simply crazy at times, no wonder the Jones nonsense happens, people follow others like sheep.

HOW SAD for those individuals that do not have a sense of themselve enough to understand you can dance and it not be a bad thing.

My post may not make a lot of sense but I am in SHOCK that individuals are such followers. Its scary!

Yup, the dumb things folks do in the name of "religion" or "Christianity" or "holiness" or whatever.

Matter of fact, this college is an outstanding place in terms of evangelical Christian scholarship, has been for years. But because they've been held hostage to some 19th century code of "holiness," now the only thing most "non-church" people (and a lot of mainline church people!) will think of when they hear "Wheaton College" is something like: "Oh yeah. Isn't that the silly little place that wouldn't let the kids dance since the Civil War? How funny."

Betcha the original rule was started as part of some sincere person's idea of "this will be our testimony of holiness," etc. When all it became was a testimony to silliness. Sad.
    =======

Gary Speer

Quoth the Owl, "Uuuuh, I dunno?"

It's not 'dance', it's 'music' that was all too frequently banned by religious fanatics of various denominations.

All music is dance music - even the most ascetic Bach - don't let anyone tell you different.

Why do religions object to music?

Music is ecstasy.

Religions only want people to feel religious ecstasy.

How can they let this happen? THis is an outrage! Dancing is the eleventh sin. THough shalt not dance and have a good time.

Here is my Christian perspective -
    I want my children to remain pure until marriage. I do not want their to be any temptations along the way that will tempt their raging hormones into doing something that is against God's Word.

The article stated:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Under the new set of rules, called the Community Covenant, students may dance, but should avoid behavior "which may be immodest, sinfully erotic or harmfully violent."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The concept from my point of view isn't as much about dancing but rather what the dancing can lead to.

As a parent I say "that is great". That is exactly how I want my children behaving. We have enough unwanted teen pregnancies many of which end in abortion these days (I won't even get up on THAT soapbox) so I don't think it is ever a bad thing to put safeguards in place to guide teens and young adults in making the correct decisions.

Now I say all of that based on the decision that my family has made to live our lives according to what the Bible says. If you aren't a Bible believing Christian then you probably won't be happy going to a school that upholds the standards set forth in Scripture. But if you ARE a Bible believing Christian then these rules are great.

Not everyone chooses this route in life.
    Candace

Patrice

See what you've started?

everyone look at your hands . . .

time for another Safety Dance

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

@Herb...

Thanks for revealing the song quote! I was beginning to think no one was an 80s US music fan.

@Candace...

It must be difficult defending this viewpoint - it's so different from mainstream America. I really only posted the article because I thought it was very interesting. You have every right to lead your life the way you see fit. Everyone deserves respect for their lifestyle decisions - your choices don't harm anyone.

However, as I'm sure you realize (and it's apparent from your non-defensive post) there will be lots of people who don't share your views. I can't say I agree with your assessment, but I won't tell you you're wrong, either. Who is to say??

It can't be easy living your life that way, with so many people ready to tell you they think you're wrong...and I'm sorry for making light of the situation.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

That song is great anyways.

"Everyone look at your hands...well they're no friends of mine..."

Come on, I'm not an '80s music fan (apart from the 1780s and 1880s..)

(Even, at a pinch, the 1680s)

Give us a clue.

Just to be clear Christain woman;
    There are so many more references, but I think you get the message, read that bible before you quote it so inaccurately.

Old Testament.

Samuel 6:14 - And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

Judges 11:34 - Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances; she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

Judges 21:21 - and watch; if the daughters of Shiloh come out to dance in the dances, then come out of the vineyards and seize each man his wife from the daughters of Shiloh, and go to the land of Benjamin.

Judges 21:23 - And the Benjaminites did so, and took their wives, according to their number, from the dancers whom they carried off; then they went and returned to their inheritance, and rebuilt the towns, and dwelt in them.

1 Samuel 21:11 - And the servants of A'chish said to him, "Is not this David the king of the land? Did they not sing to one another of him in dances, 'Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands'?"

1 Samuel 29:5 - Is not this David, of whom they sing to one another in dances, 'Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands'?"

2 Samuel 6:14 - And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

Herb said it, Safety Dance. A silly song, really, when you read the lyrics.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

Heyder,

I was referring to the quote that the college had for their code of conduct. The Bible definitely speaks out against behavior that is immodest, sinfully erotic or harmfully violent.

Its not about dancing - its about purity and keeping right behavior as outlined in Scripture. I am really not making this up as I go.

Patrice,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It can't be easy living your life that way, with so many people ready to tell you they think you're wrong...and I'm sorry for making light of the situation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really doesn't bother me for people to share their opinions so long as they'll listen to mine!
    Candace

Men Without Hats

Sandra,
    Again, I wasn't referring to dancing. I was referring to immoral behavior.
    Candace

I quoted you Candace but I didn't mean you personally when I said "We Christians sure like to make it up as we go". Sorry for that.

Heyder,
    No problem.
    Candace

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I want my children to remain pure until marriage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's possible..?

Now I know why some people get married so young..

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

I have a friend that is over 30 and still a virgin waiting to have sex for when he is married. Last month he started dating an 18 year old, she claims to be a virgin.

At a certain point this virgin stuff is beyond acceptable behavior. When they break up is he going to seek a 12 year old at 50?

As much as all of us like him there has got to be a point of ridiculous.

I think that your friend is admirable. I couldn't have done that myself but my hat is off to anyone that can.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>At a certain point this virgin stuff is beyond acceptable behavior. When they break up is he going to seek a 12 year old at 50?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acceptable by who's definition? God's or man's? I don't know your friend but shouldn't he have the choice to live his life the way he chooses without being judged by his friends for trying to do the right thing? I have lots of friends who don't share my convictions but they know they are my convictions and they respect that.

ABW Ambassador
    This thread reminds me of the movie Footloose all over again.

I'm with you sandra..one of my best friends is saving herself for marriage. She is about to turn 34. Her problem? When a guy she's dating find out, they dump her 123. I feel bad for her and I have no problem with her viewpoint at all, but I hope time doesn't run out for her. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her and other than wanting to be a virgin til marriage, we can't figure out why she can't keep a guy.

I don't want to open a can of worms and this is just my opinion (maybe I'll feel differently when my kids are older), but I danced plenty and it sure didn't make me pregnant with 4 kids.

I feel it is a combination..most importantly being family values. I hope I can set the example for my kids, so that they don't end up in a marriage or with kids well before they're ready.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, that is not my intent.

I know that there are people who don't dance. But from my reading, that isn't what the original article was saying.

The article was about it being okay for the kids to dance so long as they didn't act immorally. Immorality DOES lead to pregnancy.

REM - I agree with you on the importance of family values. If we teach good values then isn't that the same thing as teaching children to behave morally?

I can't believe I am here defending moral behavior and am not only the minority but am being flamed.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think you're in the minority Candace, I just think we all have different views on what is acceptable behavior.

I lived in Iowa City for 5 years and taught high school/college. There was absolutely nothing to do there except go to bars. If the parents of the high schoolers didn't think they're kids were drinking, then they're stupid. That said, I have to face reality and figure that it is likely my kids will behave inapropriately. If I teach them good values that may save them from a mistake, but at the same time, I have to expect some mistakes and just teach them to not make them worse. For instance, if you're going to drink, then don't drive. If you are going to have sex (hopefully not), then at least use protection, and so forth.

Robin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast