Trapped A Mink
    I have caught all kinds of critters in my live trap, but this is my first mink. A very pretty animal but stinky when first caught. It can really screech when scared to the point of almost hurting your ears.

We had all 8 grand kids over and their parents for a close look, and then we let him go. He really tamed down in the few hours we had him, but he still looked like he would bite if he had to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What fun for the kids! What was the bait?

X

Wasn't sure I wanted to see this at first but then thought...naaaah if it was that kinda trap you wouldn't have posted it.

"but stinky when first caught."
    hmmm what kinda stinky? Is it somethin they do when they're caught?

Have never seen a real mink before, looks a lot bigger than I thought they would. My brother had a family of raccoons at a previous house living in his attic so at least I know his trap was fairly large. Not sure how big this one woulda been.

"can really screech when scared to the point of almost hurting your ears"
    That's really interesting, never knew that either.

Fascinating little critters. lol Will they attack ya? Do they have big teeth?

What other kinds of animals have ya caught before?

Wow, he looks nice and soooooft. I know my kids would immediately say "Oh mommy, can we pleease keep him?". If it were up to them we would have a whole zoo of animals, insects and creepy crawlies.

What are you trying to trap?

Wild Turkey for Thanksgiving? Hare?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    What fun for the kids! What was the bait?
    No bait. I just set near holes or on animal trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    hmmm what kinda stinky? Is it somethin they do when they're caught?
    It's kind of a musky smell that might be defense related. He stopped stinking after he had been caught a while. I have had fur trappers tell me that "mink stink" but didn't really know what they meant.
    Fascinating little critters. lol Will they attack ya? Do they have big teeth?
    The teeth looked sharp like a cat. He would attack your hand when you put it near the cage. For his size he was kind of mean looking with some hissing and lunging.

My target is armadillos that tear up the yard and flower beds. I give them at least a 2 mile ride. We never had to use bait and have caught many armadillos, 2 raccoons, numerous opossums, a few rabbits, and a cat. The kids have learned from it and so have I. My dread is that I'll find a skunk in it one morning.

We get possum traffic through the back nightly. Our 12lb dog loves to terrorize them. A couple times when she had close encounters I went out to find the possum laying there with her just kind of sniffing them. After prodding and examining them I determined that she'd killed them only to find a little later that they'd gotten up and walked off. There's good reason for the old saying "playing possum"...

X

"My dread is that I'll find a skunk in it one morning."

lol Unless it's Stinky (VampireSkunk)......ummm call your dog catcher person or animal control person. But then if ya caught VampireSkunk in a trap......he probably wouldn't like that too much. lol

Never knew that bout armadillos. Cept for pictures, have never seen one of em. Knew they were in Texas but never knew where else they were. Not sure, but pretty sure they're not in my area.

Have seen raccoons and opossums many times. Not sure if he was sick but saw a possum once walk under the fence and thru our yard in broad daylight. A raccoon walked down the street once, too. Have seen the others all at night.

Got a bunny that sleeps under a holly bush I have. Definitely love bunnies

Got a big nasty cat (ok....I just think he's nasty cos he uses my flower bed as his bathroom I guess maybe he's really not nasty.) I had been putting pine cones under my deck to deter him, didn't work. Read to put chicken wire (think that's the name) under the dirt a little to deter him so will try that next. That's really nice that the kids get to see em, I'll bet they must love that, too

"The teeth looked sharp like a cat. He would attack your hand when you put it near the cage. For his size he was kind of mean looking with some hissing and lunging"

ooooh, definitely doesn't sound like a very nice fella at all. But then, I guess he felt threatened, too and maybe not knowin what was gonna happen next. I probably wouldn't be happy either lol Actually from the picture they kinda reminded me of a weasel or that other critter...a mongoose (not sure bout that name) I can actually picture him or her bein kinda mean from the way they looked.

Never knew bout the smell. Thanks for the picture and the education on him or her. I love learning about animals cos I love em.

"I know my kids would immediately say "Oh mommy, can we pleease keep him?". If it were up to them we would have a whole zoo of animals, insects and creepy crawlies."

lol Me, too. lol hmmm... cept the insects and creepy crawlies....none of them. Definitely can do without the creepy crawlies. lol

Did recently learn how to get rid of a stink bug. Hair spray Don't know if others know bout them or not? They do stink and spray ya, too.

[QUOTE=purplebearBut then if ya caught VampireSkunk in a trap......he probably wouldn't like that too much. lol [/QUOTE]

No worries. I haven't used my skunk gland in anger since 1765.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    We never had to use bait and have caught many armadillos, 2 raccoons, numerous opossums, a few rabbits, and a cat. The kids have learned from it and so have I.
    Amazing... That mink is beautiful.

All we see are rabbits, turtles, and deer... Those wild turtles surely disprove the rumors about turtles being slow.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    We get possum traffic through the back nightly. Our 12lb dog loves to terrorize them. A couple times when she had close encounters I went out to find the possum laying there with her just kind of sniffing them. After prodding and examining them I determined that she'd killed them only to find a little later that they'd gotten up and walked off. There's good reason for the old saying "playing possum"...
    We get possums, raccoons, the occasional deer or coyote, and plenty of rats and rat-like critters. They keep our dog's vocal chords busy in the evenings. LOL. We put a live trap out to catch the rats so we could relocate them, but the squirrels kept triggering the traps from the outside. Eventually, our dog caught the rats herself. She's quite a huntress.

Back home, we got plenty of skunks. My brother was once chased by a baby skunk in our driveway. He had just gotten home and I hollered out the front door that there was a skunk in the garden. He got out of the car and the skunk bolted under it. He ran around to the back of the house and we let him. LOL. It was funny how such a little creature could cause so much consternation.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

"It was funny how such a little creature could cause so much consternation."

You'd better believe it

All I get is urban foxes which like to use my garden as a toilet.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I have caught all kinds of critters in my live trap, but this is my first mink. A very pretty animal but stinky when first caught. It can really screech when scared to the point of almost hurting your ears.
    I have a question.
    Mink
    1. The expensive fur of a mink
    2. Fur coat made from the soft lustrous fur of minks
    3. Slender-bodied semiaquatic mammal having partially webbed feet; valued for its fur
    I don't know much about any mink but, are some of those rich woman's mink coat, made of animals like that big rat on your picture?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    There's also Mink, Schmink
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    ...are some of those rich woman's mink coat, made of animals like that big rat on your picture?
    Yep.

G.

John,

I am surpurised that you haven't caught a nutria being down in the bayou! This past week my 4 year old part greyhound, part scottish deer hound caught two squirrels and cornered a possum and a raccoon. My 10 year old greyhound joined in the spoils! The cats know to stay our of our backyard as they have problems trying to outrun my two girls.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I am surpurised that you haven't caught a nutria being down in the bayou!
    Not enough wetland near the house I guess. It could happen though if they follow the ditches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sal
    I don't know much about any mink but, are some of those rich woman's mink coat, made of animals like that big rat on your picture?
    I think they farm them mostly now. The fur trapping industry which had been big in coastal Louisiana for many years, died out around the late 1990's.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Sure is a cute little guy. I'll never be able to look at my mother's mink coat the same ... *sigh*

John, glad you relocate your trapped critters. Thanks for being one of the humane among us.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread