Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We Had A car accident :(
    Last night at 7:30 my husband and I got in a car accident. He has a concusion and I "strained" my neck, back. I think the worst part of the accident was the hospital, after the ambulance rolled in my husband and I were wisked away to the lobby where we waited for 4 hours, he recieved a cat scan, and I received nothing. the cat scan showed he had a concussion and me as I can't hear because my head slammed up against the window and then bounced off of the airbag got zippo. I was throwing up so was he. Has anyone here been in a accident? This is my first.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sorry to hear about the accident. It's weird that the hospital staff treated you both so differently. I can't fathom that at all.

Yeah, been in a few accidents. Mostly not my fault. The worst one I was hit by a truck which apparently spun my car around in the intersection for a little bit. I don't remember as I blacked out for a minute. It left a hole in my beautiful Celica GT that was big enough to crawl through.

The headache goes away pretty fast, the owie from the tetanus shot took a little longer, and I was finding glass on my pillow for about two weeks afterward (my head bounced off the rear view mirror, among other things).

I read somewhere once that car accidents increase for a couple of weeks following time changes. Be careful out there!

Did you get a lawyer? I am not too sure about lawyers?

Jody sorry to hear about the accident, hope everybody gets better soon. I was in an accident when I was 16. I was driving with three of my friends in the car and another car pulled out in front of me trying to turn left at an intersection. My car was totaled, the airbags went off and everything but fortunately just one of friends had some minor head injuries and ended up being alright. It's one of those "life flashing in front of your eyes" kind of deals. I was absolutely shocked when I walked out of my car like nothing happen. Thank God I was wearing my seatbelt or it could've been much worse.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Jody, I did talk to a lawyer, but informally. (My ex-husband's best friend is a lawyer.) I was at fault in that accident but fortunately no one sued me. I think they all felt sorry for me as I had a minor head wound that was rather fabulously gushing blood. If the accident was your fault and another driver was involved or someone else's property was damaged then you might want to talk to a lawyer.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you and your husband have speedy and uneventful recoveries.

If you were not at fault in the accident, and especially with injuries as you describe, and serious medical bills, you absolutely have to have a lawyer. No one else will represent your interests, not your own insurance company, not the responsible other driver, and certainly NOT his insurance company.

You need a lawyer who is experienced and who specializes in personal injury, and if you do not know one, contact your local bar association and their lawyer referral service. They will have a panel of qualified attorneys in this field. If you are in a small town, you should at least talk to an attorney or two in the nearest big city.

There are many aspects of accidents like this that are not readily apparent, such as the possibility that the actual cause of the accident may not be clear (faulty roadway, malfunctioning traffic signal, improperly repaired brakes, etc.), and many, many unrepresented people fall into the trap of incurring large medical bills that their own health insurance pays, then settling directly and quickly with the other parties insurance company, not realizing that their health insurance carrier is entitled to (and will sue to get) reimbursement out of that settlement for what they paid out.

Edit to add: If you were at fault, your insurance company will provide a lawyer if there is a lawsuit filed against you. If you might have any personal responsibility beyond your insurance policy limits, your insurance carrier is required to tell you and advise that you retain private counsel as well.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Last night at 7:30 my husband and I got in a car accident. He has a concusion and I "strained" my neck, back. I think the worst part of the accident was the hospital, after the ambulance rolled in my husband and I were wisked away to the lobby where we waited for 4 hours, he recieved a cat scan, and I received nothing. the cat scan showed he had a concussion and me as I can't hear because my head slammed up against the window and then bounced off of the airbag got zippo. I was throwing up so was he. Has anyone here been in a accidenat? This is my first.
    Jody, I am shocked to read about accident. I pray an early recovery for both of you. Get well soon

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes Jody - Hope you and hubby all OK and without recurring issues.

I've been in a few car accidents. The one major one I try not to remember or talk about - I'd rather not regurgitate the trauma - LOL - I didn't get a lawyer at first but finally, when the other (at fault) party's insurance company wasn't cooperating, I succumbed and the case was settled immediately. It's pathetic but sometimes, you just have to hire a lawyer to get things done that shouldn't need outside intervention.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Wow, sorry to hear this. Yes, I've been in a few

When I was in high school 3 of us skipped school at lunch. We got t-boned at an intersection and I passed out on impact. When I came to, I was still in the back seat. The ambulance had been there and left already, taking the 2 other passengers, leaving me unconscious!

When our son was in kindergarten my wife and I went Christmas shopping. We were going to take him but decided, that day, to just go while he was in school. A van coming from the opposite direction turned in front of us and we broadsided him. My new truck was totaled, my nose broken, my knees hurt (we didn't use seatbelts in those days) from sliding forward and hitting the bottom of the dash, my wife's wrist was broken and her bottom lip cut open. The other driver didn't have insurance. The hospital didn't see anything broken with my nose but about 2 weeks later I had to have it broken again and reset.

It doesn't sound like you got the best care though. I used to be a paramedic (paid and volunteer) and we never took anyone to the waiting room. They either signed off, refusing treatment, or we collared them, boarded them (but on a backboard) and transported them to the ER.

Count your blessings though and be thankful it wasn't fatal. I've seen enough tragic accidents to last me a bunch of lifetimes. Oddly, for someone who wanted to be a doctor, I've had the worst luck with medical care. So I offer this advice: If you have any doubts about your health, get a second opinion at least. Don't trust that everyone does everything they should all the time.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

i was the passenger, my husband was the driver, it was us against the freeway offramp. He lost control and the car hit the concrete ramp on my side, the passenger side door was crunched in I could not open it. Of course i was wearing my seatbelt. I do now have a appointment to go see a lawyer.
    He said he cannot represent my husband is a conflict of interest. So I am now searching for him.

And I am counting my blessings, if this happened anywhere else it could have been horrible. I have all of my fingers and toes and so does he. Some one was watching over the situation, the ramp that we go home on is usually always busy even on Sundays because it is right next to the mall, last night it was very slow.

So sorry to hear about this Jody. Vomiting is many times the first symptom of a concussion, so make sure you're ok in that respect. Undiagnosed concussions can cause lots of problems...

X

I was in a wreck about 3 years ago, my car was broadsided, hit so hard that it spun around multiple times and came to rest in opposing lanes of traffic and then rear ended by a car that was going the opposite direction than I had been going during the first impact.

The last piece of glass worked itís way out of my forehead about 3 months later. My arm and shoulder were black (not black and blue.. just black) from the seatbelt, my forearms had some minor burns from the airbag. All the papers in the front passenger seat and floor were on fire/smoldering. (little fire, nothing that bothered me..)

Obviously the car was totaled, the only panel on the car that was not smashed in was the drivers side door. The un-dented door was promptly opened by the ambulance crew that the wrecked car had landed next to (so close that the ambulance driver thought they had also been hit). Iím sure this accident helped their response time numbers for the month.

Everything from the passenger side of the car was either crushed or tilted towards the driver side... with even the radio being cracked in half, and the passenger side seat headrest was almost in contact with the drivers side.

It was about a mile from my house so the cops gave me a ride home rather than have someone with a bleeding forehead walking down a 4 lane road with an oversized big silver refrigerator bag (3x3x5) and handgun (from the glove compartment.... Iím licensed to carry in about a dozen states...).

All in all it was a pretty fun day... and I walked away from it (just a little dizzy for a few minutes)

But the part that hurt the most was when someone punched me in the arm to say hello about three days later....

If I had not been wearing the seatbelt it would have been very ugly.

Ouch! Sorry to read about this, and hope you are both feeling better fast! I would go visit my own physician so that they can order the needed tests, sounds like something got skipped over in that respect.

Thank you! All of you!

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the accident; it's good that you're both relatively okay.

I can't believe they go to the trouble of getting an ambulance to take you to the ER and then you STILL had to wait 4 hours. Lame.

Hi Jody, not good to hear at all, I'll send good thoughts your way!!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing now (with good feedback from those who have experienced the same). I live in Canada so we never have to worry about medical expenses (fabulous system), although we do have to wait sometimes too.. but you need to cover all your bases.

And yes, it could have been much worse.. at least you're here & able to post. Everyone is safe & that's the most important thing!

Here's to a quick recovery!

Crashes are scary. I've only had one real serious one, and was thankful for the side airbags. I was t-boned in the driver's door but walked away without a scratch because of the car's safety features --one thing that Ford does well I guess!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to hear. Glad you are OK.

Well, if your air bag deployed, I guess it must be pretty serious. Hope that your car fared OK too.

Never been in a major accident. Back in the college years, i guess I was dumb and drove/rode as if I am the king of the road. Reflecting back, it was damn stupid. Yeah, flew off and over the bike a few times.. literally.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Glad to hear that you and your hubby are okay, Jody.

Thanks for sharing. I'm off to hug my kids a little tighter because well, you just never know.

Please be sure to do the full round of testing and go back for all of your follow ups. Better to be safe and have it all checked out.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Wishing you & your husband a speedy recovery. Glad it wasn't worse.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

So sorry to hear this about you and your husband, Jody. I pray the headaches go away soon, and the healing process goes smoothly and quickly.

I was in an accident of similar severity once (back 9 years ago when I studied psychology in North Carolina), and even though I didn't even thing about going to a lawyer, they found me. I got about 30 letters from lawyers offering their services (all free of charge) within 2-3 weeks after the accident.

Geno

Thank you again so much, I absolutely love that I am able to post here right now I feel good, I broke down and took a half a vicoden. The car I think is totaled, it is a 2004 Mercedes S500 so It fairs well, I tommorrow found a lawyer who was happy to see me, and on wednesday i go the chiropractor who were also happy to see me. I guess they will bill allstate. I have been a passenger all my life and I have been driving since I was 15 years old and I am very lucky that my 1st accident happened and the only people involved were him and me, and I am very happy that there are still good people out there, when the accident happened a teenager pulled over and helped my husband because he was throwing up, and he stayed there until we left. The beaverton police officer was very nice, and the ambulance personel were nice.

I hope you are able to get some rest and heal up quickly.

-sfcom

I would also keep track of any headaches, back or neck pain that develops in the weeks to come. You may feel fine now but sometimes the actual injuries surface later. Definitely better to document the entire happenings so you can cover your bases. Kudos to the good samaritan that helped you two. Feel better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast