http and a telephoto
    NYC on Election Night 2008 (NOT political!)
    At the end of a long day at AdTech, I was on my way home when I decided to have some fun with my new camera and the lens I bought for it yesterday. There were searchlights shining around Rockefeller Center so I decided to see what was going on.

When I walked up to the ice rink I saw:

There were tons of people that were waiting for election results, so I headed down towards the Empire State Building that I heard was in 2 colors on adjoining sides, which had been done quite a bit in the last few months but I hadn't see yet. On the way there I came across my second favorite building in NYC, the Chrysler Building. My new lens astounded me:

Then the highlight (these were taken from the ground, 2 blocks from the Empire State Building):

Great photography is a combination of talent, equipment and timing. Part of talent is know which equipment to use and when to photograph. I've never been modest about my photography, I'm damn good at this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Wow!! Those are pretty!!!!

Annie
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I've never been modest about my photography, I'm damn good at this
    No sh!t! Those are exceptional photographs Deb! Gorgeous and yeah, "knowing when and WHAT to shoot" says a lot about what a photographer captures.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

those are gorgeous deb! I love the flags!! go new lens!!!

Oooh you are making me homesick. I was watching the crowds in Times Square tonight and in the back of my head I could hear Satchmo singing "What a wonderful world"
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    ......Great photography is a combination of talent, equipment and timing. Part of talent is know which equipment to use and when to photograph. I've never been modest about my photography, I'm damn good at this
    Absolutely! You are good - no question about it. I always enjoy looking at your photography. Thanks for sharing the scenes from last night.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Those are really exceptional shots. What type of camera did you use? That second picture almost looks like a painting, really. You have some skill, there, Loxly!
    Last edited by Thomas A. Rice; November 5th, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Deb,

You are a woman of many talents!

I love the shot of the flags. These will be on Loxly Gallery, right?
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

http and a telephoto
    About a month ago I bought my first DSLR, a Sony A300. I am a die hard 35mm photographer with hundreds of thousands of negatives and images yet to be scanned, but a few years ago I broke down and bought a Sony digital camera with a Carl Zeiss lens. Optics are what makes a camera. Over the past couple years I upgraded to an almost DSLR Sony that took awesome photos, and a year ago grabbed a Fugi S700 that is a great point and shoot camera that I have taken some phenomenal photos with. That also happens to be NYFalcon's camera of choice The only real drawback that camera has is lack of manual focus capability. So my 35mm roots led me to research the DSLRs that are out there. I choose the Sony because of past experience with the brand, and because of the flip screen that allows me to shoot up high or down low and still be able to see the screen.

The Sony came with an 18-70 zoom, and what I bought Monday (early birthday present to myself ) is a 75-300 zoom, which is what shot the above photos. The Sony has image stabilization, which is super important with a high magnification zoom. These photos were taken obviously at night, handheld (using lightpoles or mailboxes for some support). The level of detail and sharpness this camera and lens has is blowing me away, plus the true color. In the past with both 35mm and my other digitals, reds are not always represented correctly. Optics and image capture has improved enough to make this generation of cameras the best I have experienced in a very long time.

Also, the lens lengths are a little different for digital than they are for 35mm, the zoom equivalent for those that are 35mm savvy for the 75-300 is actually 105-450! To be able to shoot at 450mm handheld is pretty unheard of

The photo of the Chrysler Building is taken from street level SEVERAL blocks away... and the one above I was leaning the camera on a mailbox. The sharpness is just blowing my mind I told Vinny I need to reshoot every photo I have ever taken in NYC now....
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by KimSalvino
    Deb,

You are a woman of many talents!

I love the shot of the flags. These will be on Loxly Gallery, right?
    Thanks! And yes, they will be making their way to Loxly Gallery. I am training 2 people on how to load images for the Gallery this week so we can get more online before Black Friday!
    Deborah Carney

looks like you are really enjoying your move to NYC!
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    looks like you are really enjoying your move to NYC!
    I've loved NYC since my first trip here. There is an energy that doesn't exist anywhere else. I loved Las Vegas from my first trip there also, but for different reasons. Las Vegas had a calming healing energy for me, it was where I needed to be for the time I was there. New York has a creative energy. It is where I think I can have a home base for a long, long time.
    Deborah Carney

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread