Social Network / Global Community
    Whatever you choose to call it I'm talking Facebook or MySpace as the best examples. I want to do a similar style community (on a MUCH smaller scale.) There are a handful of companies that provide a fill-in the blank style community (KickApps is the best example.) The problem is that I have not found one that I can host on my own website. I want to have a www.xyz instead of a URL that is 200 characters long. Does anyone know of a similar fill in the blank community type program that you can name and host on your own domain? If you do, or if you have a good solution, please let me know. THANKS!!!

ABW Ambassador

Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    You might also try Drupal, it's open source and that's what Best Buy's employee network Blue Shirt Nation was built on.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of Drupal in that context.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    I tried Boonex and it was clunky and had too many security issues for my liking. Ning has a way for you to host on your own site through a redirect, I will be trying a community there soon. They have a pretty decent platform and are growing fast. At the very least your domain is yourcommunity.ning.com instead of a long untypable url.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The latest versions of V-Bulletin now have social networking features...

X

Ah, yes. I forgot you tried that Lox. Wonder if it has improved any....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Ah, yes. I forgot you tried that Lox. Wonder if it has improved any....
    Probably not, it is aimed at creating dating sites.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

We've dabbled a bit with ning when we were looking for a platform for a community of vacation homeowners...but there's a fee associated with creating that redirect. Ah, had to dig a bit, but here's the pricing (taken from about.ning.com/product.php)

Premium Services
    Remove Ning Promotion Links
    $24.95 per month

By default, your social network displays links for your members to create their own social networks on Ning. You can remove these links with this option. This will not remove references to the Ning ID or the Ningbar at the top of your network.

Control the Ads
    $24.95 per month

By default, Ning reserves the right to run ads on your social network. You can choose to remove the ads on your network or, alternatively, run ads from any advertising network with this option.

Use Your Own Domain Name
    $4.95 per month per domain

By default, your social network displays the web address you chose when you created your network. This option enables you to use a different domain name for your network. You need to purchase a domain name from a domain registrar such as Go Daddy before choosing this option.

Get More Storage and Bandwidth
    $9.95 per month per unit

By default, your social network comes with a quota of 10GB of storage and 100GB of bandwidth. This is a network with approximately 5,000 photos or 500 videos. You can purchase additional units of 10GB of storage and 100GB of bandwidth for $9.95 per month, per unit.
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; November 6th, 2008 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Removed hot link...

Do you mean a literal ".xyz" or a figurative one... as in anything besides .com.

I think ning is good too.

This should not be seen as (but probably will be)
    violating the rules about "plugging" your own site. It is not. Go to my site. www . bigfishspot . com and check it out. I have NEVER done ANY website design. NEVER. I was able to build this and "launch" this "finished product" in THREE hours. I might have tweeked it a bit this morning for a couple hours but that was just me being a bit OCD. I was truly done in 3 hours. I built it using a NING template and launched it on my GoDaddy account (where I had purchased the domain name as well.) Launching it on GoDaddy was as easy as 1-2-3. It has ads from Google adsense on it, which I would prefer not to have but it's no big deal. If I really wanted I could "pay" Ning to take them off. I might do that in the future. We'll see. BUT the point is . . . the NING was REALLY easy to use. Thanks for the tips. :-)

Great! Nice to see you went ahead and did it, and completed it. The site looks great. I think I'm also going to start my own network with ning as well.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread