Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Web Hosting for Wordpress blog
    hello everyone

i want to start affiliate marketing with wordpress and i am looking for a good and affordable hoster which offers fantastico. any recommendations ???

greetings philipp

Just about any php/mysql hosting company will do. Wordpress has a very few requirements. Don't spend too much time hunting for a host. Pick one and go !
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

thank you for your answer patrick. im glad to hear that

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I'm partial to 1&1 myself, they are super affordable and easy to use for someone not super geeky techy.

I have been using Godaddy since over 2 years. I hardly had any problems with their shared hosting account. I have hosted around 10 blogs on my shared hosting account. Not sure about what other users feel about Godaddy, but I am pretty happy with it. And yeah, they have Wordpress hosting capabilities and Fantatico. Wordpress is very light weight CMS and as Patrick suggested, any Linux Hosting service with MySQL can handle it.
    Just remember, you signup for Linux Hosting since PHP runs on Linux.
    Last edited by toptenservices; November 6th, 2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Addition - Linux Hosting

Ummm.. Izzie, your link seems to redirect through ap201.com to www . imhosted. site which makes it appear to be affiliate spam. Wait til ABW finds out!
    Last edited by 2busy; November 14th, 2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: unlink

The advice stands, just about anyone with a solid Linux hosting plan is good. Just install the multiple user Wordpress, because it will give you greater flexibility in the future.

I'm running several blogs under MovableType on my GoDaddy reseller with no problems, had Wordpress running at one time too. You'll also want multiple databases so you can upgrade in the future (or setup a backup database.)

Best,

Justin
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    I used to use 1and1 and recently moved to Hostgator. Hostgator has great live support, offers Fantastico and they are extremely helpful.

Ayako

ABW Ambassador
    I also just switched to hostgator. They are great

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    hostican.com has Fantastico Deluxe on their packages, which will install WP for you with a click of the mouse. Really good hosting company IMO..

hostgator rocks. hostmonster/bluehost is good too. dreamhost seems to be popular among my users as well.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

What is Fantastico, a web building tool?

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    Fantastico De Luxe is a cPanel/PHP based Web application. I saved a lot of time uploading wordpress on my cPanel by using Fantastico that was provided by Hostgator as part of their service.

Ah okay, so instead of using an FTP you use that. Gotcha.

FTP doesn't phase me, especially with Filezilla (I think that's the name...it's on my other computer). It's a free program that's super easy to use, if you have to go to FTP route.

I typically recommend Hostgator. Fantastico offers one-click installs and upgrades of Wordpress AND several other popular programs. Hostgator also has excellent customer service.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

For anyone that has used godaddy or any other hosting for WP if applicable maybe you can answer a dumb newbie question. I already emailed godaddy but they gave me a standard form answer. So my question is...I have a deluxe hosting account with godaddy that allows you to host an unlimited amount of sites. When I install WP I only have the option to install it in my primary domain. I can't see the other 5 sites that are also being hosted under this deluxe account. Does one have to install WP for each non primary domain on the same hosting account? Thanks in advance.

Hi Forgster,
    Yes, you should install WP Package in each non-primary domain folder. I'm not sure about the WP thats included in the Godaddy Goodies, but I dont use the already uploaded WP. I ALWAYS upload a fresh copy of WP self hosted. This I do because I'm not sure if Godaddy stays up with the constant upgrades. Secondly, I don't want a 3rd party involvement in a simple task. You can download the Tar.gz WP file and follow these instructions:
    I would recommend, you use the Godaddy File Transfer option to upload WP package to one folder. I use Godaddy File Transfer because that allows uploading TAR.gz (within a few seconds) and unarchive it quickly (within a few seconds). Saves a hell of time. If I use a FTP program such as Ace FTP, it takes ages to upload all files. After unarchiving the package, you just have to move all the files from Wordpress folder to the desired folder. One tar.gz upload can be used to create as many WP installations as you wish. ALL you have to do is COPY the files in Wordpress folder to different folders. I hope I was able to explain it correctly and you get the idea. If you need further help, let me know. I have done this atleast 50 times lol. I have 10 Wordpress hosted on one Godaddy and the same number on other Deluxe account. I have deleted a lot of WP installations and played around with Godaddy hosting a lot.
    But dont you forget to create separate wp-config.php files and upload one to each of your WP installations
    Regards,
    Andy.
    Last edited by toptenservices; December 30th, 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Some Additions

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    I also just switched to hostgator. They are great
    I go with hostgator as well, and have a bunch of WP blogs. But, as mentioned, virtually any host has one click installation of WP.

If you go with hostgator, you can use their $9.95/mo plan to host unlimited domains. Their database php/mysql has always worked well for me as well, as compared to some other cheap hosts.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Hostgator charges $9.95/mo? Well, thats $3 costlier than Godaddy. Godaddy is $6.95. No, I don't work for Godaddy lol and no promoting Godaddy but this is fact. I didn't find any problems with Godaddy Hosting so far. I don't remember if I ever felt any downtime either. Why is hostgator charging more? Do they offer something extra?

http and a telephoto
    Watch your traffic and amount of files limits at GoDaddy. You can have unlimited domains, but not unlimited traffic and space. Just beware, you get what you pay for.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Careful of GoDaddy, they aren't set up right to use a lot of valuable tools. Do a search and you'll see what kind of problems people have had on GoDaddy. It's OK for a personal page but not an affiliate site.

Yep, last time I bought new hosting at godaddy, they were somewhat restricting in what you could do with things like .htaccess files, php, etc. Maybe there are ways around that now, I dont know.

I don't hate godaddy, but havent added any new domains or hosting there for quite awhile for different reasons.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toptenservices
    Hostgator charges $9.95/mo? Well, thats $3 costlier than Godaddy. Godaddy is $6.95. No, I don't work for Godaddy lol and no promoting Godaddy but this is fact. I didn't find any problems with Godaddy Hosting so far. I don't remember if I ever felt any downtime either. Why is hostgator charging more? Do they offer something extra?
    I have used both. Actually, I set up a site for a person with domain and hosting at Godaddy. I found hostgator easier to use. Have not tried to run a site off a database with Godaddy hosting - hostgator works very well however. Godaddy is pretty good with support, as is hostgator. $9.95 is for unlimited domains, so I don't think it is a lot. Between having my domain name at godaddy and hosting at hostgator, I can have a new site up and running within a half hour of deciding on the domain name if it is an add-on domain - it is amazing.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Watch your traffic and amount of files limits at GoDaddy. You can have unlimited domains, but not unlimited traffic and space. Just beware, you get what you pay for.
    Hi Loxly,

Thanks for the information. My traffic has not yet increased to those levels where the bandwidth could run out. No doubts, its very important point and thanks for the alarm. Is Hostgator offering unlimited bandwidth for $9.95 unlimited site-hosting account?
    Which one you think is better? Godaddy or Hostgator?
    Appreciate your help Loxly.

Regards,
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast