Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Laptop Sizes?
    What size laptop do you prefer and why? Mine is currently a 15.4 dell vostro and thinking of getting a 13.3 more for convenience sake and portability from going room to room with it..
    Which size and brand do you prefer?

ABW Ambassador
    I have a Dell 15.4 inch. It worked great until one of my ferrets dumped strawberry milk on it. It sometimes works now. I guess I need a new one.

I do my work on a desktop computer now.

I have a 15.4" "desktop replacement" type of laptop. It is an HP and has held up really well during the few years I've had it - probably due to it normally staying in one place. I rarely move it from the dining room table.

-sfcom

For easier traveling I have 2 Sony 13" laptops. When I'm in the office the main one is hooked up to a docking station and 3 widescreen monitors so I have the best of both worlds-portability and about 53 inches of workspace.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I have a macbook pro 15.4 inch and an asus eee 7 inch. I prefer the mac - 15.4 inches just seems like the best size for getting work done - I never feel like I need more space with it. The asus 7 incher is way too small for work - i just use it for basic web surfing.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

I am on a 17 inch Vaio (VGN-AR170P), but it took me about half a year to get used to this wide screen, and every time I get to use my wife's 15.4 inch one I still like it better.

Geno

I prefer my 17" desktop replacement, but am considering a small ultra-portable for future travels.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I am a one computer person - i do not like switching between machines b/c i don't want to worry about syncing bookmarks, files, programs, etc. That is why I prefer something in the middle of a desktop replacement and a lighter travel notebook. A 15.4 incher seems to fit the bill. Macbook Pro is much easy to use and more reliable than current Vista machines. You pay more but you get more peace of mind and reliability.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    I am a one computer person - i do not like switching between machines b/c i don't want to worry about syncing bookmarks, files, programs, etc. That is why I prefer something in the middle of a desktop replacement and a lighter travel notebook. A 15.4 incher seems to fit the bill. Macbook Pro is much easy to use and more reliable than current Vista machines. You pay more but you get more peace of mind and reliability.
    Same here. I used to run off a desktop but didn't like to sync everything. So I moved to a laptop but didn't like the small screen and laptop keyboard. My new homemade desktop is purely for gaming, no business apps to slow it down. My current setup is about as good I can get it so I'm happy with it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I have a Sony VGN TX26 SP, 10" screen I think, main reason I bought it is that it is light (1kg) and the battery lasts 4-5 hours.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I have two... An EEPC for when I want a smaller form factor and a 17" HP for when I'm in the field and need some "serious firepower".

Scott

Affiliate Manager
    Most of my work is done on my 17" MacBook Pro (with four OSes - OS X, Win XP, Win Vista, and Ubuntu) installed to check various browser/OS compatibility issues). I also have an assortment of desktop machines, one for each OS and a few others for testing, but the MBP is where I spend most of my day.

As a programmer with lots of tools open all the time, the extra screen space is nice, but as a bicycle commuter the weight isn't.

Todd, how's that Eee PC working out for you? I've been thinking of getting one for traveling.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    I've got a 17" Vaio that I use for code/design, etc. It is the best, I've used both a desktop and a laptop Vaio for the past three years and I have never had any issues.

BUT I always have my 8.9" Acer Aspire One in my purse. That's right. In my purse next to my lip gloss. It's about 2 pounds, and works like a charm. And it was only $350. I know, it's crazy. I love it. Best $350 I've spent in a long, long time. Plus, when I'm on a plane, I don't have to worry about the guy in front of me crushing my screen.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    ps @toddcrawford Cool kids have Acers. Isn't an Asus something you sit on?

I have an HP HDX 18, DV4t, Mini-note 2133, Mini 1000, tx2500, toshiba p305 and u305, and a few more I can't remember.

Outsourced Program Manager Ronald Marva - SEOP's Avatar
    Mine is currently Aspire 4730Z 14.1" screen. it weighs 2.4kg. Just ideal for guys my size.

I wish I had a laptop. I am currently a desktop person in my little office next to the garage but if I were to ever buy one it would be the Acer
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

I too like having only one system, I'm on 17" Widow

I too like having only one system, I'm on 17" Widow
    My condolences.

At the risk of sounding like a knob... for me, bigger is better. I really don't have to carry my laptop far ever... so I don't really see any advantage of having a small and/or light one. Some may ask "so why not just use a desktop?", well... I like to move around within the house.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    The asus 7 incher is way too small for work - i just use it for basic web surfing.
    7inches sounds like a fun toy.

I do not own a desktop anymore because we move once a year due to contracting. I have an 19inch HP that I have a docking station that holds it up and open so I use the built in 19in screen with a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. It's pain for travel because its so big but I prefer just one laptop.
    :kiss:

Affiliate Manager
    Most of my work is done on a 17" screen, but I'm on the go so much that I'm looking closely at one of the WSVGA (1024x600) netbooks to compliment my collection.

Definitely an "also", though. I couldn't see making a screen that small my main workspace.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

With my iPhone, I'm seriously reconsidering whether I need a smaller notebook for travel. I can do quite a bit on the iPhone, and that fits in my shirt pocket. It wouldn't work for everyday work, but great for reading email, basic web surfing, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have a 17" Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7825 laptop from Best Buy - Only about $500 on sale and it works great! I like the big screen.

I detest laptop keyboards so I have a wireless HP keyboard and mouse. The wireless mouse died so I got a $9.99 wired mouse. (I don't know how anyone can get used to a laptop mousepad!) The wireless mouse ate batteries like crazy anyway.

Love my system!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    My next laptop will probably be a new wide screen 15.6 or 16. Those look nice and are shorter a bit than 15.4s. Check em out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast