Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Help! Have I been scammed???
    My husband and I just completed paying for a website design, It was to have all the bells and whistles complete with content. After making the final payment, the "designer" said he would call me today at 10am to give us the password to access the site, show me how to edit, load content, etc.

FYI, we are newbies at this. We paid this guy $3 grand to set this up, with
    website hosting, domain name, and "education". He stated he would show us how to get traffic to the site, etc. He does not run *what we thought,
    one of those pages where you sign up for $99 and then sold the design, We
    knew upfront what it was going to cost, he showed us several impressive sites that were number 2 and 3 on google searches... etc, etc.

Over the past two months he has called to give us an update, but nothing has really changed as far as the way the site looks. Its really just a mock up with no content, no way to access it, no password, etc.!!

We have contacted the credit card and put in a claim. I have called this guy and left him messages, finally threatned to call the Attorney General on him
    if he does not at least return my call and refund our money!

We also found out today that he registered our website in HIS name!!

Chuck Crawford
    Affiliate Website Design
    McAllen, Texas

I am posting his information in case anybody knows of him or knows if he is for real. I am not defaming his character, only posting the facts to obtain
    any information that may help us resolve this matter.

Thank you

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    $3 grand?

google: Chuck Crawford scam

found some rather incindiary posts about someone with that name

ABW Ambassador
    Ouch. If things were really that easy.

It looks like you were ripped off. Maybe not as far as scammed, but definately paid more than you should have had to. Did you get anythig in writing upfront?

As agreed, here is your deposit invoice for the development of CheapNotebooksComputers.org Your total for this development is $3000. A balance of $1500 is due and payable upon delivery of the website.
    Included:
    Domain Registration
    One Year of Website Hosting
    Scripted Administration Area / Complete Content Management System (CCMS)
    Dynamic Flash / Ajax Slideshow Presentation of Sponsers
    Mailing List Manager
    Forum and Blog Features
    8 Language Translator Function
    Fully Custom Graphic Design
    1 Year Free Tech Support Consultation

Do not use this guy unless you have 3 thousand to blow!
    Call Now. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Chuck Crawford
    559-761-0910
    AffiliateWebsiteDesign.com is your first and last stop for REAL web page design coupled with the marketing expertise necessary to make your online venture a success.

Because we are not mere Web Designers. We are Web MASTERS. We have driven millions of unique visitors, DAILY, to our own sites as well as our clients.

Who are our clients? A diverse group ranging from Fortune 500 companies to new home based startup companies and part time web speculators & entrepreneurs. It's extremely probable that you have one of our many client's websites bookmarked on your computer right now!

AffiliateWebsiteDesign.com will not only build and teach you to promote your website. We will also host it for you at one of our top tier hosting facilities. We treat each site as if it is our own, so you stay in good hands. We don't send you out to fend for yourself with the wolves like other firms.

We teach you how to SUCCEED.

559-761-0910 Call Us Now.
    About Us | Refund Policy | Privacy Policy | Affordable Design Blog | Affiliate Forum | Resources

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Welcome to our family!

Stay, learn and educate yourself ... everythin you need to learn about affiliate marketing is here.

On a sad note, everything im finding on this guy is bad news. Him and his partner, Chris McElroy

"Chris McElroy (aka NameCritic) and Chuck Crawford"
    http://www.affiliatewebdesign.com/namecritic/

May 2008- http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0318272.htm
    "Many businesses have been ripped off by Chris and his business partner Chuck Crawford."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...%22+complaints

Designer? http://www.chuckcrawford.com/ sheesh...

This guy is bad news ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

He just started posting on his forum http://www.affiliatewebsitedesign.com/index2.html I don't think he went anywhere. Should be easy to get in touch with him
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

He will not answer numerous calls I have made today and emails I have sent.

When someone registers your domain name under their name *Chuck Crawford,
    isn't that fraud?

File a complaint against him with your state attorney generals office.

And, if you haven't paid him all the money yet, don't pay him another penny.

Here's some more information that will make you sick that you met him and paid him your money.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ms&btnG=Search

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

He is in Texas and I am in Florida/... Do I file in FLA or TX?

Here is his information in case anybody would like to call him?>...Registrant:
    Charles Crawford
    1100 S Jackson Road
    3-354
    McAllen, Texas 78503
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: CHEAPNOTEBOOKSCOMPUTERS.ORG
    Created on: 29-Aug-08
    Expires on: 29-Aug-09
    Last Updated on: 29-Aug-08

Administrative Contact:
    Crawford, Charles humidor@gmail.com
    1100 S Jackson Road
    3-354
    McAllen, Texas 78503
    United States
    (956) 622-4965

Technical Contact:
    Crawford, Charles humidor@gmail.com
    1100 S Jackson Road
    3-354
    McAllen, Texas 78503
    United States
    (956) 622-4965

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.MAGICANSWERS.COM
    NS2.MAGICANSWERS.COM

Registry Status: CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
    Registry Status: CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
    Registry Status: CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
    Registry Status: CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED

See Underlying Registry Data
    Report Invalid Whois

Call your state and ask them what to do. They should be able to tell you who you need to talk to.

Florida also probably has a consumer fraud department that you can complain to.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

"A beautiful website that makes no money is an ugly website.
    An ugly website that makes money becomes more beautiful by the dollar."
    well, that explains his ugly website anyway.

Update! Mr Crawford called and has agreed to issue us a refund in full.

We shall see. Once again, this thread was not to defame anyone's character but to get information regarding what happened and what to do about it.

I guess getting a website is not for us.

Thank you for your replies!!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by inozip
    Update! Mr Crawford called and has agreed to issue us a refund in full.

We shall see. Once again, this thread was not to defame anyone's character but to get information regarding what happened and what to do about it.

Thank you for your replies!!

Stick around, read the posts on here. You may find that building a site could be something that you could do, with the right guidance. You don't need to pay a lot of money to get a website up and running. You just need to know where to go to not get ripped off.

This forum is a great place to find lots of valuable information

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    For starters you can a) register a domain name and b)get web hosting for 1 year for around $100.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    When someone registers your domain name under their name *Chuck Crawford,
    isn't that fraud?
    No it is not. Unless you have something in writing saying that you need to register it in your name initially.

The thing is, they need to transfer ownership to you once it is done or you send in the last payment.

Don't give up so easily. You've just learned a very valuable lesson and it appears that the cost won't be so high after all. As others have said, stick around, start reading and learn to be more self reliant. Many, if not most, of us have learned to build our own sites and you can too. Not only will it cost you a lot less but you'll derive a good deal of satisfaction from doing it yourself. You'll also have more control over every aspect of your site once you learn the ins and outs.

Start here --> ABestWeb Affiliate Academy to get an idea of what you'll need to get started. You'll find information about different hosts as well as what tools are available (some free) to help you create your site. There are arguments about whether it's better to have a Blog, standard HTML site or a CMS.

Use the search feature and don't be afraid to ask questions when you can't find an answer or when you're totally confused. Let us know when something great happens (like your first sale), we'll celebrate with you. Let us know when the bad stuff happens too, there are almost 50,000 shoulders here to cry on.

But whatever you do, don't quit just because you ran in to one a^%hole, you've also found a lot of potential friends and the best place on the web to learn how to become a successful affiliate.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; November 6th, 2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Spmetimes my spellink suks
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Well said rematt! Obviously your venture was important enough for you to spend 3k on. Of course that may be a big loss, but don't give up your dream over it...

X

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Dynamic Flash / Ajax Slideshow Presentation of Sponsers

Charging $3k a website, you'd think they could afford a spell checker.

Just a quick comment from me, Chuck Crawford.

No one was scammed, nor will I get into the specifics of this transaction with this or any other client. A refund has been issued in this case and as far as I'm concerned, the issue is closed.

Should anyone wish to speak with me, I am VERY available. You may call my office anytime: (559) 761-0910 If I don't answer, please leave a message and I'll call you back just as soon as I can.

Or you may email me via the contact form on my site.

As far as the snide little comments made here and there from other webmasters on this thread, I'll not comment there either. I've been in this business a long time and it's not the first time I've seen others pick at the smallest things to look bigger themselves. if it makes you feel good, then by all means.

I'll leave it at that. A nice day to one and all.

BTW, your forum here is nice and seems very helpful overall.

Just another value added service of ABW!

X

I hate this kind of problems, why does this has to happen to anyone ??

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I am not sure about this case but it is not totally unusual to register domains for people.

Its not like he can sign uop with your info unless he is in constant contact with you. Can you buy a car in someone elses name? Or anything else in an online fashion?

I have instructed customers to sign up domains in there own name and in a year or two they let it lapse and all my work is down the drain. Keeping it in the webmasters name does have some advantages.

But this is just another example that everyone needs to answer emails and voicemails or people escalate things themselves.

Where do you go from here? First you edit your post and delete the actual name of the person you are talking about and the company.

You then write him a letter saying that you are not happy with the service received and you want your site prepared as promised, or your money back within 14 days.

In the meantime, in that 14 days, you see a Citizens Advice Bureau (I dont know where you are but thats what they are called in the UK) about how to get your money back.

You then have nofurther correspondence in ANY way, except writing, between yourself and this person to keep it legal. Keep copies of everything from this monent forth and see what you can find from the past.

Whether you swore or not has no bearing on the case.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast