Question Affiliate Networks - Why Merchant Fees Info is Missing?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only network that I see display the merchant pricing is ShareASale.

Any idea why everyone else is not?

I do understand that there is always room for private deals, but shouldn't the basic pricing information be publicly available to potential merchants?

Geno

http and a telephoto
    They want you to talk to a salesperson, the other networks don't allow you to self register either.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    They want you to talk to a salesperson...
    I understand this too, but it doesn't help when I'm at the stage of trying to figure out whether I want to talk to their sales dept or not...

Geno

PS: It'd be good to see at least AvantLink and buy.at (the other two networks I highly respect) add this info to their websites.
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; November 5th, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: P.S. added

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    That would definitely be helpful. I agree that I don't want to call the sales department if I'm just doing some preliminary research.

As a general rule, companies that don't disclose pricing have products or services that either (1) are too complex for self-service setup, or (2) can only be sold by clever salespeople. Often, it's both.

In many cases, pricing (and other terms) are not disclosed because they are "unpleasant" (onerous) and the sales staff is expected to "condition" customers before providing pricing and contract terms. (The "conditioning" may include boasts about network size, technical savvy, and marketing skill, and might also include time spent disparaging cheaper competitors.)

An added complexity comes when a company won't disclose pricing until the prospective customer signs a non-disclosure agreement (I don't know if any affiliate networks do this now, but they did in the past).

Last fall, I wrote: > My "rough estimate" is that you'd spend $5,000 to $10,000 in fees to launch a program through LinkShare; you'd spend $3,500 to $6,000 to launch a program through Commission Junction or Performics, and you'd spend less than $500 to launch a program through ShareASale. On an ongoing basis, CJ would charge fees based on 30% of the payouts to affiliates; SAS charges 20%. <

Finally, my experience is that companies that don't publish pricing online often have very flexible or fluid pricing. Probably the most common situation is that a salesperson will call with special pricing if you sign a contract before the end of a month or fiscal quarter. I suspect that some salespeople at some companies may even quote different prices based on factors such as merchant wealth, predictions about the merchant's support requirements, or realistic expectations about the likely success or volume of the merchant's planned affiliate program (one network might reduce setup charges but not minimum-monthly fees, knowing that the customer will be "on the hook" for a year of monthly fees even if the program generates very few sales; another network might waive setup fees AND monthly minimums, and perhaps even required contract duration, for a merchant whose program seems very likely to succeed, or to attract a merchant with a successful program on another network).

With most B2B services (and especially in most facets of the online advertising industry), you won't find pricing information in plain text. Companies seem to like to funnel potential customers through sales people when high customization or high priced services are involved.

Yes, absolutely pricing should be disclosed. I don't know much about why they ask for fees to join but I do know that they should be apparent.

Thats the beauty of in-house programs. No fees and no hidden fees.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Geno,

Just as a point of reference, your own site doesn't list full information on fees for your services. (Yes, there is a basic starting point listed...)

In business-to-business marketing it is very common for companies to need to know the exact specifications of a deal, the exact needs of the customers, etc.... in order to give an accurate cost/pricing quote.

I don't see anything wrong with your approach, or any of the networks approach of wanting to speak to potential customers about their needs before trying to figure out fair and accurate pricing.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by FDC
    Yes, absolutely pricing should be disclosed. I don't know much about why they ask for fees to join but I do know that they should be apparent.

Thats the beauty of in-house programs. No fees and no hidden fees.
    And lots more management and none of the services that a network provides, including exposure to more affiliates, trust of being in a network, payment processing, reliable tracking...... and the list goes on.

In house is right for some programs, when the merchant has specific reasons and a really good inhouse tech team. For most merchants, a network is a better choice.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread