"Remember the days before HTML e-mail? They're back. The latest release of Microsoft Outlook turns off graphics as the default setting. The user determines whether to view images in any HTML message not from a personally-approved sender."

How will this effect your email marketing?

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.

Personal Sites: |

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Some day me and Charlie will get paid for our predictions or take the odds and clean up on the naysayers. I'm batting 100% on all major impact predictions for 6 years now. Some predictions were way out there having been given 2 years advance notice.

Hey merchants and Dupers those millions of e-mails you scrapped or acquired to circumvent commissions or sell to list brokers just dropped in value. I predict the value of a real pre-sell affiliate just has risen for those merchants too lazy to play the expensive SEO/SEM game. Better spend next week verifying those reporting tags and shopping cart on switches.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Richmond, VA
    It won't bother my marketing at all, we send out text formatted messages (and rarely at that).

It will mean less ads are shown to people through their email - good thing overall. That means less harmful ActivX and scripts will land on your machine. Less tracking cookies returned for simply opening a silly email. Less bandwidth wasted. Less time wasted waiting for images to load inside the email client. Less pop-ups and unneccessary re-directs generated because someone wants to simply review their email messages.

It is a good step for Micr*s*ft to take.

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Opposite the Slough of Despond
    HTML formatting is more likely to get your email marked as spam by filtering software.

I include a text link at the beginning of the plain text email message to a page with a pretty version of the newsletter.

"All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Excellent news. HTML in mail has been bad news from go to whoa.

Spammers hide a graphiocs bug with your email address encoded in it - as soon as your HTML enabled email client loads the graphic BAM! the spammer knows he has a live email address.

I HATE HTML email. If you've got some pretty graphs you want to show me, send me a text email with a URL in it and I'll go to your website when I'm GO AND READY.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

With over 200 spam emails a day you can be sure I don't look at any of them. No longer have time to read the newsletters I used to enjoy because I am deleting spam. So now the only good thing that comes from spam is that people get to make a fortune selling spamkillers.
    Doesn't matter if it is HTML or text, if the majority doesn't read it, why send it?

Just Lurking
    I wish the networks would stop using HTML mail I don't even bother to read it most of the time.

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread