How do you populate a forum, blog, or community?
    I just started a blog and, more importantly to me, a "community." I would love some suggestions on how to populate it. They both revolve around fishing. There are thousands, tens of thousands, millions(?) of fishermen who might like the site(s) but HOW do I get some of them? I doubt that I would be welcome on a similar site if I posted my site there. SO, how, how do I get some? As far as RSS feeds to increase my daily change of key words, do you have suggestions there either? THANKS!

1. Lead by example. Make a regular posting on the blog and/or forum ensure it is keyword rich. Link your blog posting over to a forum that discusses the blog posting. I plan to do that on any new sites I start.

2. Find similar communities and participate - but make sure you always put your site in your signature.

3. Participate in useful blog commenting - always being sure to link back to your site.

4. Find a complimenting site (say one on boating or lures) and participate heavily.

Of course ensure that the blog and all other pages are keyword rich.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Blogs = useful and updated content (and traffic will come)

Community = extremely hard to get started. It's a catch-22 situation. Empty forums don't make people stay, but you need people to fill the forums. Unless it's a very unique forum that doesn't have much competition in the field it can happen fairly easy if you can get the word out.

Though a lot popular forums have been started and populated by disgruntled former members of other forums.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    You might consider using Entrecard - I get a lot of traffic from those users.

Post relevant and current information daily for several months until your readers start commenting and participating. As a general rule I'd say make at least 30-40 posts before you start commenting on other blogs with your site in the signature. The content you provide is most important.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

You're on the right track :)
    "I just started a blog and, more importantly to me, a "community." I would love some suggestions on how to populate it. They both revolve around fishing. There are thousands, tens of thousands, millions(?) of fishermen who might like the site(s) but HOW do I get some of them? I doubt that I would be welcome on a similar site if I posted my site there. SO, how, how do I get some? As far as RSS feeds to increase my daily change of key words, do you have suggestions there either? THANKS!"

What is your blog about? I think your'e definitely doing it right to promote a community - i just started that on XXXX and it's working nicely, and my site, XXXX is fueled by membership and affiliates driving membership.. It's definitely what people are looking for so if you have good content, you'll get folks wanting to talk about it! and make sure you have a presence too!
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 3rd, 2009 at 06:16 PM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread