Hello.

Since I view affiliate sites regularly as an Affiliate Managemant Consultant I have been getting redirected on my laptop to Amazon when I visit affiliate sites.

I cannot find anything that I may have downloaded (willingly or not).

So for instance I go to FlamingoWorld.com (Among hundreds of other Affiliate Sites) and there is a VERY quick redirect url on the bottom of the page that I cannot catch, however it gets to this page: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/su...945493-7624705

I also see this at the bottom of my page which is where I got the "Amabot" from:
    amabot-redirect. I researched the word Amabot on Google and got this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/am...237261-9928645

Has anyone heard of this or know how I can get it off of my computer? Besides the whole hijacking thing.... which is another can of worms!

Thank you for your help

Lizabeth Sorensen
    Affiliate Management Consulting
    liz@emerchantconsulting.com

[This message was edited by Lizabeth Sorensen on November 18, 2003 at 03:53 PM.]

I don't know, but I'd like to find out. If you do figure it out, please let us all know.

Thanks!

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

Amabot is a Beta of their "what's hot" script.

If you look at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/su...199531-1004632 (you were probably looking at sporting equipment or the such when you noted the url) and mouseover the topmost left image it will show amabot in the addy bar, the amabot redirect is called to include this script.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I am wondering A, how this redirect got on my computer and B, if anyone knows how to get it off and C, why are they redirecting from affiliate sites.

As soon as I hit the affiliate site I get redirected. It is not based on anything that I am looking at.

Liz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lizabeth Sorensen:
    I am wondering A, how this redirect got on my computer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not on your computer, it is like the adsense bot that contextually advertises links. In the example above you had clicked on a sports related item, thus the football image up top.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> B, if anyone knows how to get it off<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an internal amazon redirect so you can see the hot picks, you can't get it "turned" off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>why are they redirecting from affiliate sites.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better conversions with "hot picks"!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As soon as I hit the affiliate site I get redirected.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it is when you land on Amazon.com

</font></p>

Haiko
    I appreciate your help but I do not understand.

I didn't click on anything. I enter a URL of an affiliate site and I get thrown over to an amazon page.

It is SO ANNOYING!

Liz

ABW Ambassador
    Lizabeth,

If you getting redirect when you type flamigoworld.com in the address bar, then you most probably got some kind of scumware/parasiteware type software in your PC. Run ad-aware or similar program, see whether they find anything.

KC

Screen captures are a good thing. Send them to some of the merchants or better yet, post them here for us all to 'enjoy'

Sounds like some parasite to me!

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    --Mark Twain

CONNIE,

Lizabeth is right----

Look and listen ther is something amiss unless you are still working on your new site?

is where I ended up once when I did a copy and paste for : FlamingoWorld.com

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ie...amigoworld.com

The above url is where it took me.

This is horrible check it out CONNIE!

Better add my second copy paste with the same URL went straight to your store. Yo are loosing 1/2 per copy paste. I can guarantee you I have no scumwear on my system and when I read this and checked I was on a windows 2000 OS.

SandraR<FONT face=Arial size=2>

</FONT>

Sandra, I think you may have ended up at yahoo because you copied and pasted "flamigoworld.com" It's missing an "n". The browser couldn't find that domain so you ended up at yahoo.

I think this redirect problem might have something to do with Amazon's use of "iframe" in some of their banner code.

You know I had an idea someone would notice the URL issue. But HONEST all I did was copy and paste. I did no typing, as that is my poor area!

Copy and pasted on a fresh computer, windows 2000 OS my fav so when I saw the thread I simply copied and pasted was shocked did it again just to make sure as I also noticed the URL error and WHALA at the correct URL.

Go Figure.

SandraR<FONT face=Arial size=2>

</FONT>

I believe you mean "voila"

I couldn't resist.. brings back some funny memories.

ABW Ambassador
    If you are automatiocally getting redirected (without clicking anything), that is against Amazon.com Associates terms of service.

If it is from a legitimate site like Flamingoworld (which does not redirect), then you have something installed on your pc (parasiteware, etc).

Either run adaware to try to remove the application, but first try to find the parasites Amazon.com Associates ID so that they can be reported to Amazon and be removed from the program (they sent a newsletter warning against redirects earlier this week).

Thanks All of you for your help!

I want you to know that Flamingo World is just an example. It happens when I go to TONS of other sites TONS.

Liz

ABW Ambassador
    Did you run Spybot or Ad-Aware? Also try scanning your computer here:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php
    Must be something on your computer.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Hi TrustNO1 I just ran the free one and all it found was Alexa which I understand is an Amazon Product.

I did read on Google that Amazon and Alexa started a Shopping Tool in 1999 so maybe that is it?

I like alexa for business use and do not want to get rid of it. Does anyone else have this problem with Alexa?

Thank you
    L

[This message was edited by Lizabeth Sorensen on November 19, 2003 at 10:05 AM.]

Liz,

download CamStudio http://global.ehelp.com/camstudio.exe to make a movie of this so we can look at it frame by frame to see what is actually happening. Also check your task manager to see if there is an app or process that shouldn't be there.

</font></p>

Of Course it is not doing it now when I want to record it!

I will keep an eye on it and try to get a shot.

L

ABW Ambassador
    I believe that it was a javascript which set a cookie on your PC. Did you click on a poll or were you answering a question as "what do you like more?" in the days before that happened? If yes then it is possible that there was a javascript on that site which set a cookie on your PC with the information to automatically redirect to the site which was behind the poll or question. You should look into your cookies directory and I am shure you will find it.

carneol

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread