Walmart Reversal = BIG OUCH
    I try now to check my non-commissionable reports too often this time of year but unfortunately I did Walmart had an order that was placed thru my link for between $12,000 - $14,000 on the 6th with the Big #4 which supposedly means return days exceeded. This was an order that had several products ordered in mass quantities.

Nothing about fraud, just return days which really sucks. Thats about a 1000.00 commission wiped out. I'm curious if there is any way to check on this transaction either with Linkshare or with Walmart? Jeez, the least they could do is throw me a bone or something if the sale was legit
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

Lightbulb
    Saw a link on the LS home page, something about transction tracing or something like that, but the sale probably timed out for you. Could have been picked up in a store weeks after the order.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OUCh Packy! I do check my non-commissionable reports and when I see too many to one merchant, I yank them off my sites ASAP. No sense giving free ads away. The advertiser can pay me for ad space at that point. Grrrr

Look at it this way: The universe now owes you a grand in commissions - it'll just come through another means. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I've wrestled with the Walmart problem for years, and my only solution is to religiously avoid looking at the non-commissionable reports. A few years ago, I was doing what I thought was really well on a big-ticket item through Walmart, and one day I looked at the non-commissionable reports, to see 3x the sales not being paid for that were. Either you accept the low commission rate and 3 day cookie, or you don't, and if you do, don't think of what you lose, only what you make with them.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Could have been picked up in a store weeks after the order.
    Does that effect the return days??? I would hope that the sale takes place as soon as they order online.

Rexanne "Look at it this way: The universe now owes you a grand in commissions - it'll just come through another means. :-)" Wouldn't that be nice

I'm kind of like Affiliate Hound is where I've also always wrestled with dealing with Walmarts problems or not too. This year I pretty much left them out for the Halloween season and so far for Christmas as I update some sites I'm re-thinking of what I had planned. A few other merchants have some of what I need and I'm using EBay more this season than in the past but the fact is that people want the best prices and Walmart for the most part normally has them. Give me an 8 day cookie from Walmart and I think I would be content. Well, as long as I stay out of the non-commission reports anyways

Just looked at my "non commissionable" report so far this month. Besides one nice sale from Walmart I won't get paid on, there were several from a merchant who reduced their return days a few months ago. Makes me

I will be pulling these merchant links ASAP - not what I'd like to be doing in Q4 - I'd much rather be adding links to merchants who respect the value we offer.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm really glad none of the other major networks have non-commissionable reports.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

You're not alone in this..
    I see one also for 4 days exceeded.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I'm really glad none of the other major networks have non-commissionable reports.
    LOL - burying one's head in the sand works well, too
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence
    I see one also for 4 days exceeded.
    if that 4 is actually (4) it is for exceeding whatever return days they have

ooooh I'm sorry Packy that's a really tough one to have
    Sorry for you, too Rexanne
    I had one I saw after the merchant had terminated me for no sales. Kinda like rubbin salt in it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    I had one I saw after the merchant had terminated me for no sales. Kinda like rubbin salt in it. lol
    That's just downright nasty.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Packy two or three years ago I had 4 non commisionable sales using Walmart. The links were taken off my site and replaced them with banners to my other sites. Walmart links= free advertisement for Walmart
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Ouch Packy, that's a nasty commish loss!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I remember when CJ had the reversal stats for the merchants. What I liked about it was we could at least make a decision based on those stats as whether or not to join a merchant. Now it's kind of like comparing the 3 month reports to the 7 day reports for the merchants to try and get an idea if the 7 day is way higher than the 3 month epc because of the season or is it because of the merchant just reversing for whatever reasons. Those reports I would love to have back. I do get what your saying though. It would really suck if we could see all the transactions that didn't go through because of a cookie or whatever that we don't know about in the other networks.

NYFalcone, it still comes down to finding a replacement with the prices and products. Home Depot is a good example who has a lot of what I could sell but they are worse than Walmart with a 1 day cookie and only 3% commission compared to what I get from Walmart. I'm still making money from Walmart so I have to take what I get I suppose. That said I do have a couple other merchants, one being buycostumes that has a zero reversal policy but unfortunately the products are limited to only about 6 styles of what I'm selling. Home depot has the best selection but that isn't going to happen with there cookie and payouts. Then there is ebay which so far has been working out half way decent and probably get the most exposure right now on the sites that I am talking about. I do get what your saying though

I just did some math and if I take away that big order an est comes down to 1300.00 in good sales and 2000.00 in non-payable Commission 3 day cookie expired sales for the month so far. I would just like to see Linkshare look into that transaction and see if it was a fraud sale or if it was the 3 day cookie expired.

October at least the good sales were better than the non-commissionable but not by much. 6600.00 in approved sales and 5200.00 in non-commissionable sales. The sad thing is I could have sent them a ton of sales but decided not to because of the cookie situation. I think it comes down to their loss and my loss. Oh well. this is my normal yearly rant about Walmart I suppose.

Thanks for the responses everyone. It's appreciated and I'll get over it Just needed to vent after being shell shocked by that one order.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    ...Jeez, the least they could do is throw me a bone or something if the sale was legit
    I agree. Obviously you are an important part of their online sales equation and you probably do more sales with them in a few days than the average affiliate does annually. Walmart, how about giving Packy a free smiley t-shirt or something? Really, I would expect more from a retail store giant. Very disappointing.

-sfcom

I feel your pain Packy. I have been particularly concerned about return days lately.
    Could have been picked up in a store weeks after the order.
    This would have nothing to do with it. Walmart sales come in based on when they were ordered not based on delivery.

I do think that large items probably sit in a shopping cart as the buyer thinks about their order. When I look at the non-commissioned reports and see that most are items that were clearly linked to from my site, it is depressing.

I did a test with Toys R Us last month. I haven't promoted them much since they dropped the return days but thought I would try a small test before the peak season this year. I put up some links to hot products. I had $70.93 in sales and $1544.22 in non-commissionable sales. Now that is bad. It definitely re-confirmed why I stopped actively promoting them. I don't understand why Linkshare puts up with it. They have costs associated with processing transactions that don't pay commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    I agree. Obviously you are an important part of their online sales equation and you probably do more sales with them in a few days than the average affiliate does annually. Walmart, how about giving Packy a free smiley t-shirt or something? Really, I would expect more from a retail store giant. Very disappointing.

-sfcom
    Lol sfcom to the free smiley rolled down price shirts. Errr, I'll take one though I'm sure I'm just a peon compared to some of their other affiliates and I can't imagine the amt of non-commissionable sales that the power house affiliates deal with each month. Most of my Walmart sales are from Sept - Dec so it's only a few months where I have to deal with the frustration. I just need to stay away from that dang report

Cathy, no doubt that those short cookies play a bigger part than a lot of merchants try to lead us to believe. IMO and it's just that I think with Walmart people check for stuff online and then visit the store when they get a chance like on a weekend. Then if the product isn't at their store they come back and purchase it online. One of the reasons I would love to see Walmart bring their cookie duration up to at least 7 days. My guess is that more than 80 of those non-comish sales are within 7 - 8 days. Again, JMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Packy

My guess is that more than 80 of those non-comish sales are within 7 - 8 days. Again, JMO!
    No matter how many days, 3 or less is just ludicrous. I consider any sales showing up in the "non commissionable" reports as a rip off and those were MY damn sales. Grrrrrrrrrr - A merchant who doesn't respect our time, work and dedication can KMA.

All we can do is work with merchants who honor a decent length cookie and shun those who don't. Seeing the posts above about how the non commissionable sales outnumber the valid sales for many merchants with stupid cookie duration makes me sick. Mostly, the big name brands take advantage. They think they're doing us a favor by allowing us to make commission off of their online stores. It's total bullshit and trust me, you don't need name brand merchants to make a living in this business.

They might not need us and we don't need them either. People looking for Walmart or ToysRUs can go directly to the merchant. If we feature a product from that merchant on our site and drive additional traffic and sales, we SHOULD ABSOLUTELY be compensated. Otherwise,, as NYFalcon said: "It's free advertising for the merchant." They don't make MY site better - I'm the one putting in the effort to drag visitors to my pages and sending hard earned traffic to a merchant that won't play fair isn't gonna happen.

I don't give it away, ever, no matter how big name the merchant is. It's a matter of respect and I respect my business enough to walk away and find another more willing partner. Makes me way happier.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I don't give it away, ever, no matter how big name the merchant is. It's a matter of respect and I respect my business enough to walk away and find another more willing partner. Makes me way happier.
    I axed most of my Walmart products when they lowered commissions last year, but slowly I added products back - a lot not readily available elsewhere, and some where their prices were just toooo low to complete with, but reading all this, I'm reconsidering, and I might just replace most or all of what I have up from Walmart.

Again this is walmart we are talking about, any way that they can cut and make more profit is how they work, and it is a well known fact.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    Again this is walmart we are talking about, any way that they can cut and make more profit is how they work, and it is a well known fact.
    I agree, that is why I don't promote them.

I also barely go in there maybe one a year...

I just wanted to follow up on this. Mike from Linkshare took the time and actually made the initial contact with me about this which I thought was decent of him and Linkshare to do

Mike also sent me some data with return days on sales I've had. It turns out that the large sale that started this thread had a return of 44 days so I am sleeping a little better than if the customer returned on day 4 and ordered all of the products that they bought. Don't get me wrong, I still agree with the posts here that if we send our visitor to a store we should get credit period.

That said after looking over a lot of the data no doubt a 30 day cookie from Walmart would make a lot of affiliates happy. We all know that isn't going to happen though so I think if Walmart came up with a 10 - 14 day cookie affiliates would be a lot happier than they are right now.

Anyways, I appreciated Linkshare taking the time to check into this. It's easy to slam them when we're not happy but it's also easy to say thanks Just my opinion of course

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread