ABW Ambassador
    Postal Service Looks To Cut 40,000 Jobs

I hope they fire the slow new girl at my post office, she has been there 3 years and still fudges everyhtng up.

Always giving the wrong change out and packages to people.

Sad

postal sevice is horrible lately anyway at least in my area.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    What will the price of a stamp be in a few years? $1.00

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Redistribution of funds from the national postal service to the newly nationalised insurance co?

I end up with mail in my mailbox that is NOT mine almost every day.

I wonder who is getting mine?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Interesting comment:
    "Pepper says workers who are not part of union with six or less years of service would likely be the first on the chopping block."

back to the good old days of high stress at the post office.. and a return of "going postal"

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Interesting comment:
    "Pepper says workers who are not part of union with six or less years of service would likely be the first on the chopping block."
    kind of sucks.
    You can be at the top of your game, 100% more productive than the next Unionized Joe.. But heck, you have 5.5 years under your belt. It would be tough to go to sleep..

The post office is having its first lay off, wow. Maybe email is taking over. I get my bills online. I pay them online, my friends don't write letters I get emails. The only thing i get in the mail is checks and coupons. And tons of wrong mail. no matter how many times i put a line through these people name and write on the envelope DOES NOT LIVE HERE, i keep getting bills bills and more bills for 2 people.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

no matter how many times i put a line through these people name and write on the envelope DOES NOT LIVE HERE, i keep getting bills bills and more bills for 2 people.
    No matter how aggravating it is to receive "other peoples" mail, if the address is correct they are required by law to deliver it.

To me this is a greater sign of fiscal decline than the dive of the stock market. Etailers may use Fedex and UPS and a handful of others but the USPS iremains a fundamental means of delivering goods to customers and contemplating cutting 40,000 jobs as we enter what should be the busiest sales time of the year is as serious as it gets.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Every address in the U.S will still be receiving mail. So you have to ask yourself, why did they need the 40,000 workers in the first place? I know mail volume may be down, but the 40,000 worker cut is also an indicator of just how inefficient they are.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We are in unchartered territory.

Saw DHL is effectively shutting down its USA operations too.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

It's definitely time for the USPS (and Congress) to take a serious look at changes in activity -- reduced first-class mail volume, especially -- and re-evaluate six-day home delivery. I believe that we (as consumers/citizens/ratepayers) are ready to accept five-day delivery.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Having worked in the USPS for 4 years in my younger years, I can tell you this is long overdue....

I was one of the youngest technicians in the USPS when i joined them shortly after I turned 18 while I was in college. I worked there 4 long years before I resigned and started my videography buss.

My mom also had 18 years in the USPS before she retired so I know plenty about how it's run and how it works.... im surprised it has taken so long. Add in technology, increase in email and you wonder what those people are doing during the work week ....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I'm with TerriFalcone on this one - this is not a good sign. I'm surprised so many here are so down on the USPS - I feel like mail services have gotten much, much better than they were 10 years ago. We're all so conditioned to expect things instantly now, but it wasn't that long ago that it would take way more than a day or two to get a piece of mail, as *sometimes* happens now. And international service has gotten much better, too. It's not perfect, but it's so much better. I can't imagine what it's going to be like if they cut staff that drastically. Back to the not-so-good old days of really late and completely unreliable mail. What's going to happen to ebay? Ugh. I really like bidding on something and knowing I can probably have it delivered in 3 to 4 days max. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I end up with mail in my mailbox that is NOT mine almost every day.

I wonder who is getting mine?
    Me, too. That is a scary thought, indeed. For a few weeks, we kept getting mail from a person who was having some serious credit problems, from the looks of the return addresses and types of mail. The scary part was she had filed an official change-of-address at the P.O. and ACCURATELY LISTED OUR STREET ADDRESS AS HER NEW ADDRESS??

Never did figure out what was going on with that, but it apparently has stopped now. But it took several contacts with our mail carrier -- we really DO have an excellent mail carrier most of the time -- and some contact with PO higher-ups to get it stopped.
    Generate more fake news.

I use USPS exclusively to deliver my products and have only been disappointed once in the course of the past 8 years. It costs less than comparable UPS/FedEx service, it's faster by far and they don't leave packages on the steps when there's a signature required. I can track my shipments from the time I ship until they arrive (but it's only updated once a day) and can receive pdf copies of the signature if required. For normal size packaging they supply it free along with shipping labels. Most places they'll pick up for free. I can't understand why some shippers only use UPS or FedEx, I can only guess they don't know what they're missing.

OTOH 40,000 employees is a drop in the bucket. Remember that there is a Post Office in every single teeny town across the country and several Post Offices in any sizeable town.

OTOH 40,000 employees is a drop in the bucket. Remember that there is a Post Office in every single teeny town across the country and several Post Offices in any sizeable town.
    Hmm...that's true. I hope you're right. And that others who posted here are right, too, that there is some inefficiency in the system and so losing those employees won't deeply impact customer service.

But boy, I sure do feel for those 40,000 people - losing a job during the holidays in a time when unemployment is quite high is not good. Here's hoping they get back on their feet without too much strife.

If you go by wikipedias #'s of postal workers, the layoff amounts to a little over 4.5%.

USPS has a slush fund
    Congress has required the USPS to keep many billions of dollars in an emergency fund. Even when they were granted price increases, they actually didn't need them, considering how flush with money they were.

I would consider these times an emergency time and would favor their keeping on these employees and using the emergency fund for payroll if necessary, to not make the recession/depression even worse.

I would consider these times an emergency time and would favor their keeping on these employees and using the emergency fund for payroll
    While I admire the altruism of keeping people on payroll, using the cash reserves for this purpose would be foolish.

Would you run your own business this way?

It sounds like USPS is acting like an actual private enterprise. Layoffs are never pleasant, but employing excess labor is not a sustainable policy.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I wouldn't feel bad at all if they closed the office nearest my house. I have vowed to never go there and I go to the other office in town anyway because they're so slow and inefficient.

That is really unfortunate, but no surprise now with so many services becoming digitized... paperless statements, e-mail, etc.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread