Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    DHL and US operations
    I got this from my fedex rep.

"DHL will discontinue all U.S. Express and Ground operations, effective January 2009."

I believe there were some strong inklings towards this end early in 2008, when I was working with that large cataloger.

Too bad though. More competition is always a good thing.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

LOL everytime I see my DHL driver I say to him. Dude aren't you worried about Job Security.

I wouldn't trust my shipments with DHL from this day on, hell i never trustedthem with my shipments only an Idiot would.

Outsourced Program Manager ChrisMiquel's Avatar
    The hits just keep coming to the shipping industry. My friends been working part time with UPS now for a while to try and get a full time job there. But it looks like it will take him like 5 years to get a full time job now, instead of the usual 1-2.

Maybe the DHL domestic closing will help his chances.

The smart merchants will be getting away from DHL as fast as possible.. just so they don't get caught during the holidays when DHLs workforce is jumping ship.

The January date is just an attempt to get as much holiday traffic as possible before they bail, since it took them 5 months to clean up just a small fraction of the mess they created last December (50%+ late and only honored the warenty on a few) , would not count on any DHL shipments anywehre on time. I've even seen where they put a local (ground shipment) on a plane to Ohio just to get stuck there. Part of the reason you have not seen UPS or FedEx buy them is because DHL is too messed up.

You have to be part of the Union to get a full time job at UPS and the teamsters union is hard to get into thats why a lot of people wait years. From my understanding part time workers aren't in the union.

I live about an hour from Wilmington where DHL has a major hub. The city has maybe 13,000 living in it. About a third of all adults in the town work for DHL. The city is in full panic mode as are several others that have a large percentage of population working for DHL.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

they should of been looking for jobs months ago when DHL laid off their CS people. That should of been a sign to them to find a new Job.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I live about an hour from Wilmington where DHL has a major hub. The city has maybe 13,000 living in it. About a third of all adults in the town work for DHL. The city is in full panic mode as are several others that have a large percentage of population working for DHL.
    Not for nothing, Mike, but when you talk about these kind of percentages, "looking for another job" is not necessarily an option....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

This is dreadful news. Not just because of DHL but because of what it represents in a larger business sense. This news combined with the news that the USPS is contemplating cutting 40,000 jobs demonstrate than etailers are being hit hard. I don't know if we are being hit as badly as brick and mortar businesses but it is still a great blow.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Not for nothing, Mike, but when you talk about these kind of percentages, "looking for another job" is not necessarily an option....
    Exactly, especially in a small town like this. There is a natural ripple effect taking place. Other businesses are not hiring and are preparing to cut jobs due to all of these soon to be unemployed people not being able to go out to eat or to shop. These job losses won't make the news as it will be 3 here or 5 there, but they will add up to a significant number as well.

Industry in the Dayton area has taken a hit with GM layoffs as well, so even driving here isn't an option for them. In this general area 3 to 4 percent of the population have lost their jobs this year alone. In this economic slow down jobs are not being created fast enough to absorb all of these people.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriFalcone
    This is dreadful news. Not just because of DHL but because of what it represents in a larger business sense. This news combined with the news that the USPS is contemplating cutting 40,000 jobs demonstrate than etailers are being hit hard. I don't know if we are being hit as badly as brick and mortar businesses but it is still a great blow.
    I think it will hurt the economy but as far as most etailers are concern, DHL was never a large player in the online business world. It's either UPS or FEDEX

I have only shipped things with the big three, UPS, USPS, and FedEx. Never shipped anything DHL and apparently never will.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I never really saw DHL take off as a true competitor to FedEx and UPS anyway. I think I've only seen a DHL van around the area a handful of times since they decided to compete.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread