OK, this guy is into me for two months, a substantial amount of money. The check was supposed to be in the mail last Friday but it hasn't shown up. I will eventually replace him with other providers and don't want to loose my search engine ranking on those pages but resent giving him any more free sales. If it doesn't show up in the next two days, I am thinking of doing a search and replace to break all his links. I would insert, "sorry-unpaid-link" in to all of his links. This could be quickly reversed if he coughs up my money.

This will turn people off to my site, of course, but I will replace and reorganize rapidly.

What do you think?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Put it like this, pages of dead links aren't stellar but I can't think of a better way to both cut off his sales AND keep the SE listings.

Be warned that I have noticed that dead links DO start to adversely effect rankings. But it won't kill the rank utterly like disappearing the pages would...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

You could try and do a search and replace with adding a other link in front of your message, not realy good looking but the page wouldn't be completly dead then, and might even pick up a sale or 2

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

Just Lurking
    How about a temporary redirect, I don't think that would affect the search engine ranking either. (Leader?) Point them to "a sorry the dead beat ain't paying page" with some other possible links for them to try.

------------------------------
    "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

ABW Ambassador
    It is the holiday season, why not do someone a favor and send the visitors elsewhere until you can sell again?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How about a temporary redirect<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yep, that's what I'd do. I wouldn't redirect to another merchant. I think the visitor might rightly question your ethics or motivation. The idea of redirecting to a page offering alternative links and an explanation sounds good. If I were in your position I would add to my ASP redirect script a function to send an email to the deadbeat everytime a click gets redirected. The wording depends on how vindictive you let yourself be. The possibilities are endless.

Wayne

I have a similar problem with a merchant that has underpaid me for last two months by over $700 and owes me a four-figure sum in the pipeline.

They don't seem to understand that the money's kinda important to me, and I'm either their top affiliate or pretty damned close. They don't seem to treat this as an urgent problem, so I've been moving links to the competition. I'm sending them half the traffic they got last week to drop them a hint.. and also so as not to get myself in a position where it appears that I've dumped them.

Bottom line though, is that if they don't cough up the cash and pay me everything they owe on time I'm gonna go straight to the liaison on ABW and see about getting them suspended.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How about a temporary redirect, I don't think that would affect the search engine ranking either. (Leader?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading around here that Google hates redirects, and I don't have evidence to the contrary.

Sometimes I will whack a section and send the traffic to a custom 404, but those ranks *are* history once the spiders pick that up. So I only do that when I'm darned sure I won't be promoting the product line again for a lonnnggg time.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

That's what I ahd read, too, Leader. I have a lot of internal navigation links on each page and have a headind include where I could write a note that we are sorry the links on that page don't work and check these functional areas or add links to other sites.

Would that help to keep the links alive? I could put the explaination in as an image so that it does not end up in the page description, or something.

What do you think? If he pays up, I will want to reclaim the pages. And, if he doesn't I am on a big search for products.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I remember reading around here that Google hates redirects,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'm not really clear how this is a problem here. It's not a true redirect. True, Google doesn't like it when they follow a link and then get redirected to a different page. You are keeping your page that Google has indexed pretty much the same except the outgoing links are going to new page on your site rather than to a merchant or network site. All that needs changing is the a href=. If and when the deadbeat pays up, you can restore the old links and Google shouldn't see anything different except your outgoing links are different again & they might not find your temporary page with alternate links .
    Unless I'm misunderstanding something...(which is quite possible.)

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How about a temporary redirect, I don't think that would affect the search engine ranking either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've read over at WebmasterWorld, most search engines don't like temporary redirects, but don't have a problem with permanent ones. Sounds more like a question for MarkyMark though.

I believe if you were to build new pages that contained links to products from the merchant you were going to replace the deadbeat merchant with, and made permanent redirects (via .htaccess) to your new pages from the old ones, you shouldn't lose any traffic.

Greg

HOT DANG!! The check came!! It WAS in the mail!

$1118.96 smackeroonies!

Still don't want to be so dependant on one merchant.

Diversification continues.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread