Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Google search alerts = worthless?
    I am beginning to think that Google Search Alerts are worthless. I get all kinds of false hits. I get mispellings of my name, I have 'batteryfuel' in as an alert and I get emails whenever 'battery' and 'fuel' are on the same web page.

Does anybody else have this problem?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I am seeing the same thing times 10

I have it set for every site and every keyword that matters to me. Its a shame it use to be a valuable tool
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

If I want to see only the exact phrase I put "" around it and haven't noticed it screwing up for me.

Wow, the SE spammers I'm finding using my sites . . .

http and a telephoto
    Searches for loxly are still ok, but searches on my name bring anyone named Deborah or anyone named Carney and it seems to not allow restrictions to both not either. It's making alerts useless
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Combine that with the useless crap it harvests from Google Groups, and I'm about ready to drop them.

-sfcom

There must be millions of sites using this technique if you're referring to those "posts" full of other domain names. I was getting one or two a month last spring but it's turned into a river. If you click on the link it is a page of gibberish, but if you "copy link location" and guess the terms they're optimising for you will find them at the top of the search for that term and using the position to download malware.

I'm with Herb. My " " alerts are still clean and filtered.

Admittedly, they are pretty narrowly focused to begin with.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I don't have that many but usually get them fine without the quotes. Now occasional mispellings do come in though from strange sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    If I want to see only the exact phrase I put "" around it and haven't noticed it screwing up for me.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna have to try that because I'm getting a bunch of false hits as well for my keywords.

Thank you Herb. This is very useful information and I will act upon it as fast as I can say "the name of our company"
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriFalcone
    Thank you Herb. This is very useful information and I will act upon it as fast as I can say "the name of our company"
    if you are talking about the spammers, there is a spot on the Google webmasters tools page where you can report them.

Works great for me. I love the alerts and all have pretty much been on target.

if you are talking about the spammers, there is a spot on the Google webmasters tools page where you can report them.
    To report these sites, Google asks for the URL where they show up in Google Search, they want to know the search term that they show up for and other info that takes close to half an hour to gather all the info. I have reported some, but it is faaaar too time consuming. They want to know what happens when you click on the search results. Since that usually is a redirect to an "anti-virus scan" flash file I'd just as soon have someone else document the results. If they would accept just the URL I'd be happy to submit a few hundred. I have found that the actual URL doesn't lead to the same results as finding them in a search leads to though. It's like if the referrer isn't Google they serve up the actual page of gibberish.

lol @ google alerts yes I did that one for a second, I recieved So many "alerts" with variations of what I alerted. It was filling up my mail box and my spam box, i think even the email service got confused after a while.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I've kinda given up on the Google Alerts. I rely on Trackur instead. Much more comprehensive.

Well you should use quotes to get a specific term. I find they are good to keep track of your own company. But when I want to look for something I end up just doing a news search.

Okay, now I'm an absolute newbie again! I've heard of Google alerts, but never used them. I don't understand how you guys are using Google alerts to monitor your businesses? Are you putting in your name, your domain name, your urls, your website name, or what?

I'm eager to just try it, so I set up one in quote marks around the name of one of my websites. Is that what we're talking about here? To see how and when that appears on the web?

Anybody explain all this to me?
    Generate more fake news.

Arrow
    I used them at first when I started a new domain. Wanted to know when Google indexed or noticed it or if someone blogged about it.

like their searches, exact phrases should be in quotes and you can have a daily digest also.

if you see your domain mentioned but the underlying blurb doesn't look like your copy, be careful clicking on the url. there be SE spammers and downloaders about.

I used them at first when I started a new domain. Wanted to know when Google indexed or noticed it or if someone blogged about it.

like their searches, exact phrases should be in quotes and you can have a daily digest also.

if you see your domain mentioned but the underlying blurb doesn't look like your copy, be careful clicking on the url. there be SE spammers and downloaders about.
    Yer right about those spammers and downloaders! I just got an innocent looking alert on that website name I set up half an hour ago or less. I clicked on the link to go to the website where the phrase was being used -- and my Norton Internet Security 2009 install blocked the browser and said it had disconnected me from the Internet because of possible virus.

Didn't try it again.
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Okay, now I'm an absolute newbie again! I've heard of Google alerts, but never used them. I don't understand how you guys are using Google alerts to monitor your businesses? Are you putting in your name, your domain name, your urls, your website name, or what?

I'm eager to just try it, so I set up one in quote marks around the name of one of my websites. Is that what we're talking about here? To see how and when that appears on the web?

Anybody explain all this to me?
    All of the above. I've done alerts for brand names, company names, my own name, my own urls, different variations, etc. It's a lot of work, which is why I switched to using the Trackur service from Andy Beal. All of that, way more comprehensive, one place to login and check it.

Classic example. The google alert for batteryfuel (all one word) triggered an alert to this article:

http://www.9news.com/money/article.a...3786&catid=344

It appears that google breaks down the word you give them into separate parts if it can and considers those two words separate search words.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Are you putting it in quotes? Or in [] ? Otherwise, yes, they will return those results since the article contains both words.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

why in the world would it do that? It is one word.

I don't get it. I'll change it. But I still don't get it.
    ---
    ---

I have no idea. But at least they provide a fix
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Thanks Kevin. It has been updated.
    ---
    ---

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast