CPAStorm Requesting Copies of Passport?
    Hi All -

Has anyone ever been asked by an affiliate network to provide copies of their driver's license or passport. CPAStorm (part of Memolink Inc.), as part of their Best Practices Division has said that they: "require that you provide us with copy of the documents I requested to insure that there is no id theft in the ranks of our publishers."

Seems rather fishy to me. Any thoughts?

ABW Ambassador
    A copy of your passport? No network needs that

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    They want you to prove you haven't had your identity stolen so you should send them a photocopy of your passport which makes your identity vulnerable to theft? I'm sorry, this crosses the line. Dump 'em.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Run.......close your browser, get out of their system and reboot your computer, then never go back there again.

Most ridiculus thing I ever heard of, asking for a passport of affiliates. Well, unless you are traveling from country to country to collect your commissions and they need to verify you are you at the banks.

CPAStorm Reply
    Hi all -

I thought it best to email CPAStorm voicing my concerns and letting them know that I will NOT provide copies of my driver's license or passport. CPAStorm has replied to my concerns and I thought I'd share a portion of their email:

"I can assure you this is legitimate. We don't typically ask all new
    publishers for this info. It is done to make sure the information is
    accurate, and the publisher isn't fraudulently signing up using a false
    identity. The result of this is practically no fraud in the network,
    which brings in much higher quality advertisers. "

I responded by suggesting that the previous payments made to me by check from CPAStorm have been cashed. In doing so, my bank validated my name and since the check was mailed to me, that would validate my address.

I'll keep you all posted in case someone else finds themselves with a similar request.

http and a telephoto
    No network or client is getting a copy of my passport or driver's license. Employees have to provide those for I9's but certainly not an affiliate.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

To be fair to CPA Storm, at least they are being active against fraud...

This is done with good intentions, even if it may be slightly draconian.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Affiliace
    To be fair to CPA Storm, at least they are being active against fraud...

This is done with good intentions, even if it may be slightly draconian.
    It just plain stupid.

For a document like a passport to stand up to scrutiny well enough to ensure protection against identity theft, you need the holder to show up in person with the ORIGINAL passport.

A scanned or faxed copy of a passport is NO proof of identity. Any 2 bit scammer could produce something good enough to fool them.

And what do they do with the copy once they've decided it is proof of your identity? Do they mark your file with "proof of identity supplied" signed off by someone authorised in their company to do so, and then shred the copy,or do they put the copy in your file so any rogue employee or office cleaner can sell your ID document to someone who wants to do more than join an affiliate program.

STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID.

No really, we're talking Department of Homeland Security stoopid, not your normal stoopid.

CPA Storm's management need to be laughed into obscurity for approving such idiocy.

As promised, here is the final update on the situation:

I have to admit that this situation was very eye-opening for me and CPA Storm went to extraordinary lengths to not only explain the problems they face but they worked hard to find a solution that works for both them and myself. They were very professional in their communications and certainly respected affiliates' needs in terms of personal privacy.

I appreciate CPA Storm's need to be pro-active in respect to fraud. My contact, Dianna, who is an IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional, wrote in one of her emails that:

"We are cracking down on fraud inside the CPA Storm network. We recently uncovered publishers in our network who have stolen identities. For the consumers who have been victimized, it is no joking matter ... I hope you can appreciate the spirit that is behind the investigation. It is not intended to compromise your personal information in any way."

I'm sure many of us have lost some of our legitimate earnings to one form of fraud or another. So I am certainly a supporter when a network is attempting to make their affiliate network less susceptible.

I have also spoken with a friend who runs another affiliate network who in fact has worked with CPA Storm and Memolink in the past and he spoke highly of them. He emphasized that some sort of action definitely needs to be taken to combat the fraud and identity theft within the affiliate network business model. He explained quite a number of the issues he faces of which I had no idea existed.

I think we as affiliates always need to politely question the networks’ policies. We entrust them with a lot of responsibility and they in turn do the same with us. Any network worth our time and efforts need to, as CPA Storm has done, take our privacy seriously at the same time insuring that we, the affiliates don’t become victims of affiliate fraud. It’s a balance of all our needs.

...who is an IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional...
    I just learned a new acronym, today!

can any one Pm me the AIM of your CPAstrom Affilate Manager.

thanks

no PMs yet, you need to have full membership.

Thumbs up
    thanks for your quick reply, can you sent me your affilates link i love to join under your referal

I think you might want to read the rules here. I'm not a CPA affiliate and it is against the rules to post links here. I just didn't want you to wait for a PM that can't be sent or received.

If you read through the threads here you may find the information you need or you could try visiting their website.
    Good luck.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread