ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I've had it with site copiers. I had 8 different people copy my site since the beginning of the month and just checked my logs for today and found another two. What is it with these people?!? One of the ding dong heads today even copied my contact page.

I put in a code a while back to catch site copiers but I think I put it in wrong b/c I put it in html and can't pull it up in a search.

For those that put in a code to catch people do you put it in your code or on the page itself. If you put it in the code how do you pull it up in a search? If you put it on the page, how do you do it? Just put in a certain phrase or ...? If you don't want to publicly say what you do, I understand but if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me with the info I'd appreciate it. I'm so sick of these people.

Thanks,
    Kip

[This message was edited by Kip on November 20, 2003 at 09:08 PM.]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Kip,

Don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to say I'm sorry. That really does stink! I don't understand why people can't just try to make an honest living using their own efforts.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Kip,

I too feel your pain. I spent 3 months developing the content for my site. Even though I have everything copyrighted I know people are sucking it all down. I would also like to know how to stop the site copiers. If anyone can help I be most appreciative

BradleyB

Acording to g. guy the new update is eliminating the spammers and copiers with multiple sites. However, still seems there are quite a few bugs to work out. Good Luck All!

-gray day
    "Be really whole and all things will come to you"

-Lao Tsu

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the empathy, Linda.

Gray day - I just hope one of those bugs doesn't have g. getting the people who actually created the content and not the bad guys. Can you just imagine how that would stink? Getting banned for your OWN content? Yowzer.

Bradley and anyone else interested - I surfed around and found some code to prevent people from stealing the text from the page by just highlighting and copying. I also put in a code to prevent people from being able to right click and save the images. They can still right click, but just not when they are on an image.

It doesn't prevent html code copying but I'm hoping that not all these goofballs know how html coding works and were just copying and pasting.

The codes can be found at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/index.html

Thanks,
    Kip

Just a thought:

Would it be possible to write a little javascript snippet to put in each page that would read the HTTP header, and if it wasn't YOUR DOMAIN, would throw up a big warning message that this page was an unauthorized copy and display the link to your original page?

If you mix this code in with some other code that was essential for the rest of the page to operate, and you put it on every page, it would be so much of a pain to remove that the copiers would either have to leave it in, or have to remove it from each and every copied page by hand.

You could also have the script call something from your own domain that would leave tracks in your logs (maybe this is what the script mentioned in Kip's message does?

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Look4,

Of course you can do it, but its way to easy for the copier to just change the javascript to read his site instead of yours defeating the purpose.

I suppose the way you fight this is on 3 fronts. You detect what is going on and report it to the search engines.

2. Increasing your own incoming links so that even if they steal your content you site will place higher than they will

3. Constant chance in your site so its always fresh and the copiers are a step behind

I suppose you can also put copyright info inside the code with explicit, if stolen you will pay to the owner $10,000 and then hire a lawyer to collect. But this will be hard to collect, will take years and there might be other problems.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

P.S.
    Don't copy my site

If you use javascript tracking (I use Webtrends Live) the site or page copiers will often forget to remove it (since it's invisible). You can then sporadically check the depths of the logs to see where the tracking code is ending up.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I installed a firewall for these guys. I am keeping an eye on the ones who are visiting many pages. If the user agent is something like "Web copier", it will be : If a regular user agent like IE6 visits 5 pages per second, it will be

By observing their pattern in the logfiles, one can tell if someone is visiting or copying. I blocked 12 so far. As far as I know cPanel has the option of blocking IP's also. This only works for large sites. By having a 20 page site, it will not be easy to trace a pattern.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the tips. It's a small site with less than 20 pages so it's hard to trace a pattern. I have a lot of repeat visitors so it's hard to tell if someone is looking to buy or looking to copy.

I do use java tracking that's how I can see people are copying the site. Each time they save pages to their computer it shows up in my logs. The trouble is that so far no one has forgotten to remove the tags.

Blocking the IPs is a good idea, but usually by the time I see they have copied it the damage has been done. Plus, most of these people don't seem to be on static IPs. They seem to be on dial up and I would hate to block legit visitors while trying to get these jokers.

Someone should make a program where you can't view or copy the source code yet spiders can still spider it. I would buy it.

Thanks,
    Kip

Hey Guys,

This is good info, I have had someone steal one of my diet sites that was making me huge income in the start of the year.

Then this guy stole my site purchased a bunch of inbound links and he was in the top 10 for diet pills for about three months.

I know my site made hime large chunks of cash ... it really bothers me

I am thinking about having a little text near the bottom of each page ...u know the copy right stuff that really does not matter.

I was thinking about something like:

if your pondering stealing my content please visit my lawyer at this address for info ...

Some thing to that effect.

What do you guys think of that approach?

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    Learn About Lifetime Commissions @ Myrxforless

Copyright your pages and trademark your site. Make your site a business. Protect your work and hire a good attorney.

I PM'd you a good draft to use on your pages.

SandraR<FONT face=Arial size=2>

</FONT>

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread