Google toolbar installer and computer trouble:(
    Dummy question but does anybody know exactly what the Google toolbar installer is??
    Long story and don't wanna go into all the boring details but since yesterday afternoon computer's been acting goofy and then bad stuff with having to unplug it to get it to shut down.

Every time the computer starts am getting a message saying that Google toolbar installer has encountered a problem and then another one about a.exe encountering one and to send the error report.

Hmm back up a bit to yesterday afternoon. Had searched for a type of product, found it, (guess if it has anything bad I should warn ya but I don't remember the name of the site, just that it was a Christmas lights search had what looked like a picture maybe of the tree in New York but rest of the page really wasn't appearing )visited the web site and soon as it got there knew it was trouble cos the little hourglass thingie wouldn't stop spinning. While attempting to get off that site McAfee popped up and said it blocked and removed 2 trojans. Had spybot before too but part of long story lol don't have anymore. Tried to download it again and get the message it can't connect to the server? Tried disabling both McAfee and Windows firewall in hopes that would help but didn't matter. And....yes I immediately then turned both of em back on. I'm not that much of a computer dummy. lol

To the bad stuff that happned after that. Never have known exactly what people mean bout computers crashing so not sure if that's what it did. It just froze and wouldn't budge. Umm finally had to just unplug it to get it to turn off. Skippin thru some of the blah, blah other troubles with it.

This morning Microsoft updated and had the malicious software removal tool as part of it. Hmmm wonder if a coincidence there lol It said it removed: Trojan Downloader: Win32/Renos.AY

McAfee that came with I think the cable connection we just did a while back had said the other day after goofy and bad stuff happened everything was clean? Just ran it again now and says it removed Memorey\NtQueryDirectoryFile that was a trojan then lists 9 other trojans it says it quarrantined and No action is required. oops back up a little to the one removed. It describes it as named Spy-Agent.bw!rootkit

Dummy question again. Obviously I understand when it says removed it removed it. Quarrantine not so sure as to what that means especially since it says there's no action required for me to do??

Pretty sure part of the trouble is a bho? since when I type in a search it goes somewhere else. But not all the time? As an example I can type in Target and it goes there. I type in one of the sites Ed mentioned in another thread but it says it can't connect to that server and I can't get to that page.

Made this waaaay too long even without all the other blah, blah details to troubles. So, basically I guess does anybody know exactly what the Google toolbar installer is, if I uninstall it....what is that gonna mean or do. Obviously I don't wanna lose my google toolbar if that has anything to do with it since that's what I use all the time.

ok, don't know if this is a factor or not either but I'm using Mozilla and I keep gettin little pop up boxes wanting to know if I want Internet Explorer as my default browser. Nope, since one of their updates I can't open anything in a new window without it closing. Even since one of Mozilla's updates if I close it, I get a message when I try to open it again that it's already running and I can't open another one. So, whenever I go to eat dinner or somethin lol I just minimize it's window instead of turning it off.

Babblin waaay too much so ummm does anybody have any idea at all what I'm talking about?? Please remember (altho after reading this it should be abundantly clear that you are not speaking to a very computer literate person....even tho Trust says he is.....I definitely think I got him beat easily. pssst think he's just bein nice sayin that to try to make me feel better. lol ) Can anybody make any sense outa what's goin on and possible any suggestions as to what to do??

Rootkits are the nastiest type of infection known to ma... uh... PC. A rootkit is totally hidden from the Windows operating system and does it's stuff in a back alley. If you have a rootkit infection you may need professional help...

X

Hi Kathy

I would un-install the Google toolbar and see what happens. Does your computer work OK without the toolbar. If it does - that's your problem.

Use Internet Explorer and see if your computer works OK. If it does the problem is Mozilla.

When something is quarantined it means that McAfee couldn't remove it but it isolated it on your hard drive so it couldn't be active anymore.

McAfee and Norton are junk programs. They will let more bad stuff get onto your computer than they will stop.

I've used both of them and had problems all the time.

Get rid of it and install http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php.

I put it on my computer. All I have is that and Windows Defender and I never have anymore problems with my computer since I installed it. It catches anything that is bad. Nothing bad get past it.

A yearly subscription to it doesn't cost anymore that McAfee or Norton.

You can sign up for the 30 day free trial - tell it to scan your computer and it will remove all the bad stuff from it.

The free trail will quit working after 30 days unless you subscribe to it before the 30 days is up though.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

umm unfortunatly things aren't goin too well.

I did uninstall the Google toolbar thingie. Seems like from what I can tell it was just the google toolbar on the ie browser. Least that's the only thing I can notice. I went and searched for it on the computer, found it and uninstalled it. Am still gettin the a message tho. Not sure if it's the same as before or not, tho. I read the details for it and it refers to it as google update installer. Am afraid to get rid of that cos I don't have a clue what it is.

Think there's probably much more to it than whatever it is, tho. Seems like mozilla, ie and safari everytime I try to make a search or type in a url to go to a site I keep getting an error page saying "can't establish a connection to the server" Altho like I said before if I type in Target it gets there. Maybe cos it remembers I've been to that site?? I can get here cos I can use my bookmarks ok altho it's reaaaaaally slow here.

I've tried to get to the http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php. site and can't get there on any of those three browsers. I even click it from here and it comes up with that error page. For whatever reason I can type it into the aol browser and it gets there to the site. When I tried to run their free online scan tho it won't do it. It comes up saying there was an error. Only possible reason I can think of is under the requirements it lists ie browser something or other. That's when I tried to get to the site using ie and try it on that browser but can't get to the site using ie browser.Even just copying and pasting it still comes up with an error page.

Earlier before I tried to get to the eset site I tried the spy doctor on the toolbar of ie. It scanned the computer and said there were 7 things found. Clicked to remove them and it says it does but then when I checked again they'd still be there. So don't know if it did anything or not. What it said it found was:
    SILLY DIEWW - 3 of em downloader
    KOLLAH - 3 of em trojan
    BRIDGE - 1 of em browser helper

As I said, it said to remove em, I did but then it would say 2 were there, 1 then 3 again. I rescanned it to try to make sure everything was gone and that's when it kept saying different numbers so I don't know if they got removed or not?

Burgerboy - I don't know if this has to do with this or not. I can't uploade my site using FrontPage. Says several errors but one of em is bout not bein able to connect to the server. I tried tho with my other little site (the one that's at FastNext for free) and it did it just fine. So....I'd think that it wouldn't be able to do that if it was just FP problem?

Since we switched to cable I've had the problem where just about every site appears as an error page but when it's refreshed it's there. Dummy assumption but I thought maybe cable was too fast for it and that was why? I hadn't had any of these other problems tho until the other day.

Any ideas why I can't get http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php to work for the scan?? I am soooooo far behind on things and this definitely is not helpin.

Not that it probably means anything I guess but I ran aol computer checkup thingie and it said everything was fine lol (uhhh obviously it's not ) same with whatever the help thing was when clicking help in the computer?

Me again.thoroughly confused now. After all kinds of problems just getting to the eset site. I finally got there on the aol browser. Computer froze up again and had to be shut off but I managed to download the free trial from eset.

Uhhh I ran the scan and it said there was absolutely nothin on it that it found. Normally that would make me happy but my troubles are still here. I looked at the log or details for it tho and it had a note saying something that "weren't able to open" and it was a bunch of stuff starting with win 32 I think. So....I don't understand why it wasn't able to look at that stuff.

I've still been attempting to get to sites by searching and having the same result. It says it can't connect, when I refresh it, then it gets redirected to another site (which at that point I quickly shut down the window) from trying to understand some of what Mike says I'm guessing that means a bho?? How come that doesn't get detected by the scan, tho.??

To Burgerboy - are you having any touble with FP and our host? Tried again and I'm able to get the other site to FastNext ok but I can't upload any of my other site

umm guess I'm repeating myself but other than Ed's suggestion for professional help, anybody have any suggestions??

Not sure if I forgot to say periodically I keep gettin a pop up saying Internet Explorer is not my default browser, would I like it to be or somethin like that. It has a little box checked saying something like always ask this when opening ie (not sure of exact words) I don't have ie open tho Hardly ever use it.

Try running FF in safe mode? I would uninstall the Google updater if it's giving you problems. You can always go to Google and get the latest version. Good luck with that!

Kathy, if you're running Windows XP, I suggest that you perform a system restore which is a quick and painless way of recovering your system state by basically setting your computer back to the way it was before this all happened.

Do the following...
    Start/Programs/Accessories/System tools/System Restore
    Just follow the instructions and pick a date on the calendar before you started having trouble. Hopefully this will get it running good again.

X

Purplebear;
    Sounds like the "Go Google" BHO redirect. I got the same thing last week and it is difficult to remove. The only program I know of that gets rid of it is "Malwarebytes" Anti-malware shareware program.

You can download it free at Computergeeks dot com.
    However, getting to the site to download it can be a problem because of the re-direct problem.

If you have an uninfected computer you can download it onto a floppy or memory stick using the uninfected computer and then transfer it to a file or "my desktop" of the infected computer. Or, you could get someone to email it to you.

Then go to the downloaded file and install it. Do a full scan (takes about 45 minutes), and then do a quick scan.

That worked for me, and got rid of it completely.

It is a really bad BHO and make your browsers worthless because no matter what terms you search for it sends you to other places.
    Good Luck,
    Ken

Correction:
    You can download it free at "MajorGeeks dot com", not the site I posted above. Sorry
    Ken

To Burgerboy - are you having any touble with FP and our host? Tried again and I'm able to get the other site to FastNext ok but I can't upload any of my other site
    No - Everything works fine for me.

It's your computer.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Computer froze up again and had to be shut off but I managed to download the free trial from eset.

Uhhh I ran the scan and it said there was absolutely nothin on it that it found. Normally that would make me happy but my troubles are still here. I looked at the log or details for it tho and it had a note saying something that "weren't able to open" and it was a bunch of stuff starting with win 32 I think. So....I don't understand why it wasn't able to look at that stuff.
    ESET is not able to work properly unless you have uninstalled Norton using the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec. Uninstalling Norton from your Control Panel still leaves lots of little pieces on your system that can prevent ESET from working right.

Kathy, I noticed you've been gone for a few days. Did you get your computer fixed? What was it?

X

System restore should do the trick but I hope you have everything you need backed up before attempting it.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    Kathy, I noticed you've been gone for a few days. Did you get your computer fixed? What was it?
    Yeap, I finally did. After I had exhausted every possible thing I could think of my husband was just about to take it to somebody local to repair it and I shoulda thought of it before since for whatever reason I was able to get some stuff to work. Thought of trying the Dell support so he got on with them (figured if I had to go reaching for and unplugging and plugging cords, he'd be better at that lol )

After a couple of hours of the support guy taking over the computer it got fixed. Least hope so. For a one time fee of $136 they'll remove trojans, etc. from your computer for ya. After you agree to it they just go into your computer and you'll see them moving around real fast lol So a whole bunch of stuff got removed and I think he changed a bunch of settings manually.

I had tried doing what you (actually what everybody suggested) but whatever nasty guys got on the computer they wouldn't let it happen. It would just freeze up every time I tried to do the system restore. (then had to manually unplug it) Took several times just to get it into the safe mode with the support guy to do the stuff.

Weird part is by using the aol browser (that and Safari for the most part were the only two that wouldn't redirect) I tried the Panda scan, Trend doctor's housecall, aol computer checkup, somethin microsoft had and a few other free things and they would tell me the computer was clean and ok. So, I'm guessing it had somethin to do with what you were saying about something not recognizing it or somethin?

Had managed to download the avg and eset at the time (altho whatevr the nasties were, they wouldn't allow any updating to be done) so I guess that's why they wouldn't work.

SpyDoctor reported 7 trojans I think at one time so I wrote some info down if ya think it'll help anybody I can post what they were later. I know it involved somethin with win32 and there was somethin with Kollah trojan and a bunch more.

Umm even after the couple hrs with the Dell support guy soon as I got back online I downloaded more protection, ran a scan and it found some more stuff I guess the guy missed? Got rid of them and knock on wood, so far nothin has been detected.

Don't know why but I had an aol browser I used all the time before for email mostly, use mozilla mostly for everything and some checking with ie and safari browsers. I now can't have aol open if I wanna use ie. lol Have to close it down in order to use ie? Still got goofy stuff goin on with mozilla browser but at least I've got no more bho redirecting any of the browsers now.

Wanna thank everybody very much for trying to help me, appreciate it very, very much and definitely am glad to be back

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread