Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How do you get motivated?
    I was just curious as to how other people get and stay motivated with an exercise routine. I work from home so it should be easy as I don't have to worry about commutes, or bosses, but I have a really tough time wanting to go work out. Now that it is raining almost daily it is even harder although I own an elliptical that I use rarely.

Any tips on motivation for exercise?
    [b]Logan Thompson[/b]
    [size=-2][url=http://www.loganthompson.me]My Blog[/url] | [url=http://www.twitter.com/drumminlogan]Follow Me on Twitter[/url][/size]

setting goals is one way; either weight loss goals, or fitness goals like " I want to run a 5k"

Find someone to work out with. Peer pressure can be a powerful motivator.

Try setting a specific time to workout. Mornings are best for most people. Make it a part of your schedule. write it down. mine would go something like this:

0500 wakeup
    0510 make coffee
    0520 check e-mail
    0530 watch CNBC and put on running clothes
    0600 nature call
    0615 go for a run
    0700 put on oxygen mask

By having a plan, exercise doesn't just happen. it's part of my predetermined schedule.

Fo me personally, I love to run. When I don't run, I start to feel fat, out of shape, and really miss it. I know, I must be sick!!!

Don't worry if you miss a day or two. get back on that eliptical and get after it.

Maybe its not really healthy, but I start tanning. That way I just look a little better and people complement me on how much better I look sooner into the game. Keeps me motivated. Its getting started on it thats the hard part for me!
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

tanning? I think that would only work if you are already a relatively healthy weight.

Not sure how attractive 400 lbs of tan body would look

tips for staying motivated
    Hi Logan

I was really motivated by writing things down. I started keeping a journal of daily exercise and at certain points, what I ate for the day and this made a huge difference for me a few years back when I was getting back into the swing of things.

I really like this particular journal from: Barnes & Noble

It felt really good to be able to look back on a week or a month and see how much I had accomplished. Even if I had a set back, I could see why and that was valuable too.

Hope this is helpful - take care!
    Amy
    Amy Preis
    Affiliate Development Team, buy.at
    Amy.Preis@corp.aol.com
    www.buy.at

Writing things down (especially 'snacks') totally works! Made me think twice about it.

Also, as you work from home now, make a commitment to eat healthier (fast food and vending machines no longer have an excuse!) Cook your meals from scratch and you'll avoid tons of high-fructose corn syrup which in turn will help you shed pounds straight away.

Exercise is easier as you weigh less. I did Billy Blanks Tae Bo which worked fantastic, but it almost killed me and I was relatively fit when I did that. I wouldn't recommend that for you definitely. Walking would be a good start. Even though you're at home, its important to take a break and get away from your desk - walk around the block a couple times.

I would literally have to force myself to actually start my workout though - no advice on motivating to actually lift those weights, get on the eliptical or push play on the DVD..

Only do your exercise every other day (except for walking). You need that day of rest between strenuous workouts to allow your muscles to repair themselves and become stronger. (I took aerobics in college for the extra credit hours and learned a lot about how to exercise for various objectives).

Good luck and pm me if you totally lack motivation - I'll try to inspire you!

Only do your exercise every other day (except for walking). You need that day of rest between strenuous workouts to allow your muscles to repair themselves and become stronger
    . Good advice, but only partially true. With variety you can work out every day. It's true that you would not want to do the exact same muscle strengthening exercise on consecutive days, which is why most people that work out every day do different muscle groups.

Abdominal work seems to be the exception. I've had best results by working my abs every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    . Good advice, but only partially true. With variety you can work out every day. It's true that you would not want to do the exact same muscle strengthening exercise on consecutive days, which is why most people that work out every day do different muscle groups.

Abdominal work seems to be the exception. I've had best results by working my abs every day.
    Yeah - I do remember that. I just remember being taught about how building muscles the fibers will actually 'break' a little and when they repair themselves they are stronger. We would do aerobics every other day and weight training between aerobics, working out complimentary muscles.

You're right on the abs too. After my first kid I'd start each day with 100 crunchies and up it by another 100 whenever that got too easy. It worked pretty good.

As I have asthma I find shortness of breath to be a HUGE motivation. I always say to the kids that breathing is such an important part of life
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

I watch Troy with Brad Pitt. If he is 40 in that movie and he can do that to his body (maybe with a little help from the camera), then surley I can do it with my younger body.

Each person has different motives and goals as they approach exercise. for me, it is keeping pain at bay or at least within a tolerable zone. It has helped me to find a buddy to work out with but you can't rely on another person to always be there. If I'm alone the time passes more slowly but then I'll just get into my own head a bit more and keep pushing. As I mentioned earlier Asthma is also a great motivator. I haven't needed to be hospitalized for my asthma in 3 years and for me that is a great motivator.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    What motivates me is the way I feel after a week or two of consistently getting out and exerting myself, sleeping well and staying away from one of my vices (good, strong beer!).

I kind of fell off the wagon during the holidays, then there was Affiliate summit. But I remember back in Oct/Nov I was really in a groove. I must admit it was tough the first week or so, but once I started to feel better during the day it quickly motivated me to continue.

Now it's time to push through that tough phase of getting started again

I get motivated every morning doing Tai Chi.
    (It is especially good for some of you guys who have asthma.)
    No news watching. (if its earth shattering someone will call)
    Open Blinds & Windows in my office (Unless its cold)

What works for me to get motivated is to set a small tasks and repeat it regularly. So it doesn't appear to be a difficult task, which could put me off.

So for example if I am trying to reduce sugar consumption, then over a number of week I will slowly reduce my consumption.

If I trying to get fit (which I am now) I do sports or exercises I enjoy. So instead of running on a tread mill I go to the park. (I cancelled my gym membership and have lost more weight walking in the park then I ever did at the gym.)

Hello
    I have been working out steadily since i was a teen.
    Currently, I find myself excited about working out and actually look forward to it.
    I use exercise tv on demand, which offers over 50 different workouts that are always being updated.
    To go along with this, i use their website exercisetv.tv where you can actually download free workouts, that are all available on the exercise on demand channel.

If you have exercise tv on demand available, it is worth looking into.
    They have short 10 min exercises up to 40 min aerobic exercised.
    The good thing about this, is that you can almost always get enough motivation for a 10 minute workout.
    This will keep you dedicated to working out almost daily and not fearing the workout session.
    You can actually do a differnt workout almost daily, which is excellent.

Keeping a journal is another good way to keep you motivated and on target.

Good luck.
    Tiffany

I get motivated by necessity and inspired by success.

exercise will make my body fit for work, not sleepy and more healthy

Affiliate Network Rep John@AffiliateFuture.com's Avatar
    for me, motivation came naturally after i spent a while learning how to exercise the right way. I did this by hiring a personal trainer and reading everything I could find on the topic. now its not so much a matter of being motivated as it is something i truly look forward to doing and feel a need to do. once you figure out exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it you come up with a routine and your mindset changes resulting in a new lifestyle.

I woke this morning to the horrible news about the Buffalo plane crash,

Sure is a wake up call to be motivated for the joy of life, give your family a hug!

When somebody really criticizes my body shape and figure.... It really motivates me to go into exercise

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    2 ways

The mirror
    Whenever I hear about someone who is in the hospital or is suffering becuase they are out of shape.

That motivates me to eat better and exercise.

Keep reminding yourself of what life is like WITHOUT it. I am grumpy and overall I just don't feel good without exercising frequently and eating well.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Hi,

I also do Yoga which makes my body and mind relax. And, It also helps to stay motivated.

Last edited by loxly; June 3rd, 2009 at 02:47 AM.

I have been riding a bike 3 times a week, instead of driving for about a month now. And I Feel great! I look forward to riding now! Just the first 2 weeks was hard, but after that it is easy!

Affiliate Manager
    Ditto on the bike. I've been cycling to the office more regularly, and I find that when I do I'm pumped up and ready for action!
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Several ways I motivate myself. I will watch pumping iron sometimes. Old school arnold but I am impressed with his dedication. Look at my girl and realize she is going to the gym 5 days a week, I can at least go 3. I have a friend on Bodybuilding.com I used to work with. I look at his transformation and it motivates me. And finally, there are a couple hotties on bodybuilding.com which I say, I want to... um.. you know, but definately need to be at the gym to meet them. Haha! Might want to check out dailyburn.com too. they track it all for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast