Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Smile I don't get Twitter
    Ok, so I have read things about people using twitter as a tool for marketing. Maybe I am just being a little slow, but I don't get it. How is it effective? It might be that I just need to try it to get addicted, but can someone explain why you use it and it's purpose.

Thanks.
    [b]Logan Thompson[/b]
    [size=-2][url=http://www.loganthompson.me]My Blog[/url] | [url=http://www.twitter.com/drumminlogan]Follow Me on Twitter[/url][/size]

Well, that someone won't be me. I've been avoiding it like the plague. My time is full enough already...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    Well, that someone won't be me. I've been avoiding it like the plague. My time is full enough already...
    Ditto. LOL. My sister's getting into it, but I just haven't had the desire to really check it out yet. I have too much to do!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    It effectively feeds into my narcissism.

Just kidding.

I think.

It's just something that's fun for me. I don't use it to try and be a promo ho....I mean, I don't use it to promote anything but I'm sure it works very well for some people.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I don't get it either Logan. I think it works well for people who are trying to figure out what other people are doing and where they are. I don't see it as a marketing tool and I wouldn't want to read marketer's pitches on Twitter although I do see some people posting a lot of hype. I think over doing the marketing aspect of any social "network" will eventually corrode the social nature of the site and send people running.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drumminlogan
    Ok, so I have read things about people using twitter as a tool for marketing. Maybe I am just being a little slow, but I don't get it. How is it effective? It might be that I just need to try it to get addicted, but can someone explain why you use it and it's purpose.

Thanks.

Join the club Okay I Twitter, but I only Twitter cause Loxley twisted my arm and told me I ought to, so I do, but sometimes I'm not sure why I do, and then someone starts to follow me, and I wonder why, and do some updates because else I feel guilty that I've got followers who are wondering what I am doing... but yea, why....I don't know, possibly because at 3 AM in the morning the only person listening is Twitter
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    Total waste of time.

6 months ago I would have agreed -> http://stopdoingnothing.com/2008/05/...ime-and-yours/

But since then I've come to realize that it has it's place. I exchange a lot of information now with the local developer community here in OKC. Local news, events, and every now and then we have twitter lunch. All coordinated on Twitter with no emails, voice etc. At the last one about 15 people attended. I've also noticed it will be good for keep hosting clients aware of anything of interest as I grow that business. So it has proven useful to me in a very unexpected way (I need to make a follow up posting to the one above).

For marketing - ehhh. Still don't know about that. If I get someone on my list that starts shooting spam I'll block em just like I would in email or via callerid.

(patrick24601 on Twitter)
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I don't twitter but I have followed people around to see what the hype is. I think it may be beneficial for networking, keeping people up to date regarding products, news, etc. but at this point I am too busy to keep up. I don't text either. I have found some interesting info by just following peeps around but who has the time?

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    I never really got it until I attended the Blog World. During the event, I got to connect with many great people through Twitter. I also found out about many networking events through Twitter. I have downloaded a Twitterfox, so all updates pop up on my laptop. Also, I use Twellow to find out information about specific niche. So many people are using it nowadays and I think it is a great place to network and build traffic to your site.

If you are not twittering you are leaving money on the table, Might as well go back to using catalogs to drive traffic. Sorry it just gets me when people are scared or too busy to adapt or change.

Are you really too busy for two minutes a day? I am not saying it is easy to master twitter but used in a certain way it could be one of the best ways to get "Niche Focused" traffic back to your site. It also could make you an authority in your niche.

Spend 2 minutes less at facebook and/or myspace it will pay off.

Sorry if this comes off a little blunt
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's viral. Maybe you have immunity.

I agree 200%.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    If you are not twittering you are leaving money on the table, Might as well go back to using catalogs to drive traffic. Sorry it just gets me when people are scared or too busy to adapt or change.

Are you really too busy for two minutes a day? I am not saying it is easy to master twitter but used in a certain way it could be one of the best ways to get "Niche Focused" traffic back to your site. It also could make you an authority in your niche.

Spend 2 minutes less at facebook and/or myspace it will pay off.

Sorry if this comes off a little blunt

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    We syndicate our Wordpress blog headlines to Twitter using their API. It hasn't been that long and we've got 172 followers as of now.

It seems to be a good notification tool for our Affiliates: new merchant announcements, tool/technology additions & upgrades, etc.

Gary I am one of those followers, So that means before you can post a new tool on ABW odds are I am already using it because I knew about it first

I am using twitter through Aweber the same kind of way. So all my newsletter subscribers get the email and all my twitter followers get notified also. Last night I wrote about using aweber and twitter on my blog. It went out to the 500 affiliates that are on my newsletter and my almost 500 followers. That is 1000 people that were or could back on my site without using a search engine. I don't have the data to back that up yet as its too soon for my logs.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I see how it could work if you amass a bunch of followers. To reach so many people, so quickly and easily, in limited text... I'm on it with, like, two followers, so I haven't utilized it for its true potential. I was on one of the creator's (?) blogs two weeks agao and they're going to add music, I think. THAT would be cool...

All you gotta do is create a Twitter with your site brand, link to it from your site and post a Twitter any time you update. If its a blog you can Twitter each new blog post or if its a social networking tool you can post about new features and upgrades. But it's also important to interact with fellow Tweeters so your Tweets aren't just self-serving. It's just another way to keep your visitors in the loop and returning to your site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Man, I gotta find some 28-30 hour days somewhere to master all this social networking stuff like twitter, facebook, myspace, squidoo, huppages, article content, helium -- I'm sure I've forgotten some I know of and missed dozens I still have yet to hear about??
    Generate more fake news.

Writerguy,

I'm with you. I'm not using any social networking sites. Mostly because I hate people

Which ones should I start with if I want to jump in? Any recommendations?

I don't really know whether it falls into the same "social networking" category as twitter, myspace, etc. (probably doesn't), but I'm having a lot of fun working on Squidoo lenses (that's what they call the free web pages you can build there). There's been a few posts about Squidoo. I, personally, love the "write about anything you want" nature of Squidoo -- and that you can include affiliate links in your lenses.
    Generate more fake news.

Twitter is the best to build traffic to your site and network. But, you have to be creative. You can set the preference, so only the people you approve can follow you. Also, it's much easier if you utilize Twitterfox or Plugins, so you don't even have to open twitter site. I follow all key players in the industry, friends and of course buy.at and ABW.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    Writerguy,

I'm with you. I'm not using any social networking sites. Mostly because I hate people

Which ones should I start with if I want to jump in? Any recommendations?

Writerguy - I see Squdioo as the spamming section of the internet, why not write what you want and put it on your own site.

When I am searching for something using Google and I see information I am looking for but I see the url as Squidoo I bypass that link and go find information from a more trusted source. Sure you can get a lense to rank but long term I think its a waste on time.

I see facebook as a waste of time unless its for personal friends but I dont waste my time there enough either. There is so many web 10.0 sites out there it's just a test and see what works for you and do more of it.

ABW Ambassador
    "Writerguy - I see Squdioo as the spamming section of the internet, why not write what you want and put it on your own site."

I thought you like to try stuff out? The lenses are what you make them. They get indexed pretty quickly and rank nicely. You can make money with links and also use them to drive traffic to your sites. That what I use them for, money and another traffic source to my main sites. Try it out. Let me give you another example of how I use it. Dominating my niche. You can have your site and be on page 1, but you'll have one spot. Have a few spots on page 1. Have your site, have a squidoo lens, have a hubpages page, have a blog etc. Take over that front page or first few pages.

http and a telephoto
    I recorded a Coffee Talk podcast with James Martell last night about how and why to use Twitter as a marketing tool. The first thing you folks might want to take a look at is http://search.twitter.com and use one or two of your keywords. People are using this as a search tool *instead* of G because the results are user created and user recommended.

If you aren't twittering about your niche, someone else is and *they* are getting traffic you could be getting.

The social aspect is one part, education is another, exposure is huge, and even if you only have a couple of people following you, they might have thousands following them and they might retweet something you posted that caught their eye.

Twittermoms posted a link to a pdf holiday shopping catalog in twitter, that link got picked up and retweeted and produced more traffic to their site than they have ever had in a single day.

If you keep twitter open in a web tab and just check it a couple times a day, and follow and start conversations with people in your website niche you will start to see a return in real traffic, that cares about what you are talking about. Coupon sites post coupons and deals, not constantly but just enough.

I use twitter instead of an rss reader to follow the people who post blog posts that I care about. Mashable is a good example of mixing rss created posts with real conversation. I never went to their site until someone retweeted a link to one of their blog posts, and I find they post quite a bit that I like to read. I am a loyal visitor now. They got me from Twitter.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    For a while Squidoo lens were penalized, and I didn't see much traffic from the lenses I built. I still don't see much, but they haven't been touched in a while.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast