Unhappy Dissapointed
    I'm a little disappointed across the board for several different things:

Last night AC/DC played at the Garden and I did not know they were performing. When I left the office headed for Penn Station I saw a whole bunch of very happy concertgoers leaving while I missed the whole thing. It just so happens that I have every one of their Albums/CDs (except for TNT which was sold only in the UK and Australia) not to mention that I saw them in concert in 2001.

Secondly, I think I might have to re-objectify and reassess why am I doing this.

I appreciate ABW because I have learned a few things in the short time that I have joined and posted, but I really don't feel as though I am accomplishing anything. I'm not even sure if I'm even starting appropriate threads. My former colleague spoke very highly of ABW but, for me, what he said and what has happened are two different things.

I have been an Affiliate Manager for the past year and a half and really haven't met the sales goals I thought I would be achieving. I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree. If anyone has thoughts on this (and I'm sure you all do) please respond to this thread. Maybe I just need coaching.

Ian

Ahh, sorry you missed the concert! I'm not a fan of AC/DC, but understand the sentiment.. I didn't know George Michael came around here a few months ago until a friend told me (it was sold out by then). Wow, I can't believe AC/DC & George Michael in the same paragraph..

As for sales targets.. we all go through moments of doubt, you're not alone there. This is not "easy money" as some like to assume... in fact it can be freakin' hard! Sometimes you need to take a mental break from the pressure... sit back & evaluate your current strategy. If it helps at all, I had a real unexpected slowdown in the summer, which got me worried. It forced me to come up with some new ideas. Oct/Nov are back on track as a result... but it cost me more hours than I can count working on the new site extension

ABW.. takes times to find your groove, thousands probly just read, which is perfectly fine. It's just a place where experiences are shared.. I don't come here for THE answer to affiliate marketing, really only when I need a helping hand. Sometimes just to vent. No one understands affiliate marketing in my "real" life, that's why I'm here.

I haven't participated in any of the summits (yet) but it sounds like it would help you. Get out there & make more industry contacts.. participate in some network events. It may really help your perspective.

I'm sure others will share their thoughts , this is just my two cents worth!

AC/DC.. now there's a band!

Question A Little better
    Thanks TeeZone (Is that short for Twilight Zone? If so that's one of my favorite Macrabre Shows! I'm also into film and TV. Serling, Hitchcock, and Fontana definitely know how to tell stories) and Affiliace.

I think what threw me was an email I received from a much larger Affiliate Network a while back where the person asked about "Conversion Metrics." What sucked about this was that was my first attempt at working with that company. When I didn't know the answer to the question, they immediately stopped emailing, calling, and from that point forward wanted me to run their offers and not vice versa.

I also believe I might not be working the network properly in that everyone here talks about CJ, LS and SAS as if they have no problems becoming a publisher for your offer. I just finished working with another huge Social Network and they generated next to nothing for our company.

On an upside, I would say that there are A LOT of helpful people here in ABW. Loxly's definitive commentary on the "Magic Bullet" was EXCELLENT! Moreover I really liked the thread about "As an Affiliate I hate...", and "How to invite an affiliate." So far they were the best I have read and subscribed to.

Don't laugh, everyone but even though I'm an Affiliate Manager, I have yet to incorporate serious SEO techniques (not even "White Hat" stuff) into any of the offers that are being promoted within our network. If anyone can give a little insigt to this I would appreciate it.

Finally, even before I became an AM I had a MySpace, and Facebook page. I'm not quite sure if I'm allowed to talk about my company or promote offers on MS and FB. If the latter, I KNOW we don't have the budget for that.

I'm treading lightly with this subject because one of our former affiliates attempted to promote one of our offers (without our knowledge) on YouTube and the advertiser of that offer found out about it and was furious with us. We immediately had to stop traffic to their site and almost lost the account due to some unknown persons negligence. That was a major downer for me and I'm a little reluctant to go back to the entities mentioned. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by TarsusIan; November 14th, 2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: More info and an icon added.

Since I'm not familiar with your vertical my comments are pretty general, but social networking sites are more for social networking than sales; I think BHOs do better there than actual products. (I wonder sometimes what the percentage of marketers to marketees is in FB/MS - lol!)

If you want some specific feedback about site improvement the Site and Logo Review can be helpful.

If you had one of my Buy.at Ticketmaster Widgets you would never need to wonder what events are coming up locally but of course I can't give you a link, you'll need to search for one of your own

All in all, things go up and they go down and they go along and at all stages there should be some wondering if it could be done better; we aren't machines.

2busy,

Thanks for the advice. I did visit TicketMaster and Guess What: AC/DC will be performing this Wednesday at the IZOD Center (Hallelujah!) I will have to miss Bible Studies on Wenesday but I can deal with that.

Since Tarsus is a network, we have various offers within several verticals. More than likely we will have an offer that might be of interest to you. We are also in the development stage of having our own education portal. If ABW will allow it, I will introduce the portal here in the forum before the year's end.

As a side note: I'm going to start spending time with the Affiliate Marketing Meetup here in NYC. The guy who runs it is a really cool dude. I have attended his Meetups before and at the time they were a small group, but I think that has changed:-) He usually holds them at a coffee shop in the Village (If anyone is interested in attending please let me know so I can send you the link. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to submit links as of yet.
    [B][FONT=Verdana]Ian McKenzie | Affiliate Manager[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]212-777-7729[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][URL=http://www.tarsusmedia.com]Tarsus Media Network[/URL] [/FONT][/B]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TarsusIan
    I have been an Affiliate Manager for the past year and a half and really haven't met the sales goals I thought I would be achieving. I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree. If anyone has thoughts on this (and I'm sure you all do) please respond to this thread. Maybe I just need coaching.

Ian
    I took a look at your "Homepage' which I have to assume is the home page for your network, and, from the affiliate perspective, I see some reasons why you have not been as successful as you had hoped.

Let me ask you a question. Would you go into a restaurant, sit down, and give the server your personal financial information, including info about your employment, where you live, and your credit card info, and then let them serve what ever dishes they may have in the kitchen?

Well, your site directs any prospective affiliate to do just that - give all of their personal information to an entity with which they are unfamiliar, with no idea as to what they might be receiving in return.

When I look at a new affiliate network, the first thing I look at are the merchants on the network, to see which, if any, might be a possible fit for one of my sites, or for a future idea I have. If you promote CPA offers and not merchants, I also need to know that, and the likelihood of my interest will then drop considerably.

Few affiliates will join a network in the dark, as seems to be required by yours. Click any of the "publisher" links, and there is no list of merchants (or offers), but only a sign-up form. Also, that sign-up form asks prospective publishers to pick a category for their site, from a list that includes categories that just do not fit most affiliate sites. And which of my sites do I choose to fit into one of those categories? Will I be denied because I picked the wrong site (or 3), that may not be a fit with your unknown merchants, when I may have 6 other sites are are good fits?

If you are not meeting sales goals, the place to start is with the info about your network that is available to prospective affiliates, and with the sign-up process.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I'll echo AffiliateHound about the site. And go a little further about your lack of or perceived lack of success.

In this thread you have 3 posts and 26 total since joining on April 20th. I took a quick look at them. I don't see an introduction from you anywhere. Granted, I never did one either, but I'm not here looking for business. I don't see a program/network announcement in the new programs forum from you in the six months you've been here.

Why have only few of us, if any, actually joined your network. I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are ABW users, but a few that come to mind is that we don't know who you are, what you do or why we should work with you.

This forum is like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. There are those managers that come here and post their deals and coupon codes and go along their way. That works for them. There are those on here I could tell you the names of their kids and their dogs. That works for them.

Do you have to be an open book about your life and post non-sense and fluff to get our attention. No. But you do need to post something about your business to the point we know what you do. Especially if your site doesn't tell us.

As your program/network gets known you can do the post a deal and leave, And you'll find that is enough.

Until you get to that point, that point where we as a community know you and you've built a reputation, you've got to work a little harder than some of the managers that have been here for years.

If you want to grow, ABW is a great place to do it. You'll not find a larger more serious and professional group of affiliates anywhere. Period. You have to give it some time, just as launching a new program or building traffic to a site, nothing happens overnight or even in 6 months.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

LOL I love your post! Miss bible study for ACDC. You have made my week! You rock
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Hi AffiliateHound,

Wow! You definitely had a lot to say! I really appreciate the feedback! Allow me to address the points made to the best of my abilities:

When I joined Tarsus Media, the previous site had more-than-enough information about our offers, the types of verticals we offer (mostly Education, Credit Applications, Debt Consolidation, Life Insurance and Cosmetics/Health & Beauty Aids, to name a few), and our were previously posted on the website. At that time we had more pages and much more text.

When the site was originally created we noticed that there were too many fraudulent signups. We initially thought it was because our site had too much information and too many pages thereby being too verbose and giving the fraudsters the impression that we were uninitiated. There is a post in ABW where I questioned the number of fraudulent signups that we received as well as the techniques for weeding the fraudsters out.

It all started when a certain affiliate forum owner (which shall remain nameless) approached us and offered to send us affiliate signups. We were eager to work with this party at the time so we agreed to this. But even after our screening process, which included a phone call to the affiliate applicant, we were receiving "mixed reviews" of our Leads being generated. Some were fraud; some were not fraud but were not converting into sales for some of our Merchant Advertisers. Earlier this year we severed ties with that forum.

Furthermore I would like to say that for some of the major networks (most of which are publishers of ours) we have worked with them putting IOs in place for certain exclusives that we are running, contacting the advertisers media buyer, creating several exclusive sites for our offers, coding multiple banners, leaderboards, skyscrapers, buttons, and the like, all to appease our advertisers and even then the larger networks have not garnered sales/leads to our satisfaction.

Personally I receive requests from various legitimate advertisers and fellow networks to run their offers daily. I have to turn them down solely because I'm already inundated with generating leads/sales for the offers we have in house.

In our network quite a few large affiliate networks (ValueClickMedia, for example) are working with us. The tracking is powered by DirectTrack, one of the most respected affiliate tracking companies in this industry. Your application passes through a Secure Socket Layer page so the information submitted will be viewed solely by Tarsus Media staff.

As far as being accepted into our network if you (or anyone) mentions in their application that they heard about us through ABW, or emails or calls me directly after filling out an application, I personally will view the application, have a discussion with that signup (if necessary) regarding their plans for our offers, and push for their application's approval. I am also open to either emailing/calling me directly, informing me that they are from ABW and have submitted their application. The one advertiser and publisher we will NOT take on are Adult Content sites.

I'm also the type of guy who does not believe in badgering his affiliates. If you are generating leads for us in one vertical I will not push a second vertical on you UNLESS you request that type of contact.

Again AffiliateHound, I really appreciate the time you spent to critique our site. I will turn over your suggestions to my supervisor and welcome any additions to those suggestions made and possibly turn them into mandates. Feel free to contact me or simply sign up and I will be glad to assist you with the signup or send you links of some of our exclusives and offers available. Hope this helps and thank you.
    [FONT=Verdana][URL=http://www.tarsusmedia.com]Tarsus Media Network[/URL] [/FONT][/B]

Are you going to AC/DC ????? Post photos!!!

Hi Knight01,

Thank you also for the critique submitted! A little note: I did indeed introduce both myself http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=112271 and created a thread here http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=112645 regarding our offers a few days after becoming more active within ABW. I do believe I have given a little bit more time and energy than what you are describing. According to my Control Panel, currently I have subscribed to 15 threads (if that's of any merit. I'm not quite sure) and I have started Five threads (not including this thread) regarding various affiliate subjects.

Yes, it's true, I did not really start submitting my comments until much later after joining the forum solely because I was given misinformation about the value of affiliate forums. I was under the impression that forums were just 'sounding boards' and not places of interests, especially for an up-and-coming affiliate network such as ours. If the post mentioned previously is not sufficient to describe Tarsus Media's work itinerary, kindly please let me know.

To give you a description about myself: I am from New York City and currently reside in New Jersey. Cant get enough of music, film, and food (LOL). I just started returning to working out because for some strange reason I started gaining weight earlier this year. No kids, no wife, no ex-wife, C'est la vie. I have a customer service, sales and graphic design background. I have been in banking working for American Express as well as advertising working for Bozell Worldwide. Before I joined Tarsus Media, I was a part of the International Trade Community working with drayage and stevedoring facilities. While there I had to visit the US Customs and Border Protection bureau for container inspection of goods being imported into the United States. It was a very challenging and demanding job. I'm much happier working for Tarsus Media. It's far more rewarding. Hope this makes a differnce and thanks.

Cheers

JodyQ,

I will post photos but I should warn you my seats are in the nosebleed section. When I saw them during the 'Stiff Upper Lip' tour in 2001 I took pics then also from the nosebleed section. I have those and I can definitely post over the next two days or so. Angus is only 5'2" so he's about the size of a dime in the photos taken.

Also I have a film camera and not a digital. I'll have my girlfriend to bring hers as a backup and we will post her shots the next day. I think she owns a video cam and if we can, we will use that as well.

Not easy being a Christian who likes Heavy Metal. Some stuff I won't listen to or perform. I used to be a 'serious' musician; nowadays I'm just a "Legend in my own mind" (LOLOLOLOLOLOL) I'll talk about it in the forum if it's okay with Haiko.

Sincerity is priceless and in some thick skin and tenacity and you've got a winner!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

A Little Help, Please...
    In this thread you have 3 posts and 26 total since joining on April 20th. I took a quick look at them. I don't see an introduction from you anywhere. Granted, I never did one either, but I'm not here looking for business. I don't see a program/network announcement in the new programs forum from you in the six months you've been here.

Why have only few of us, if any, actually joined your network. I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are ABW users, but a few that come to mind is that we don't know who you are, what you do or why we should work with you.

Until you get to that point, that point where we as a community know you and you've built a reputation, you've got to work a little harder than some of the managers that have been here for years.

If you want to grow, ABW is a great place to do it. You'll not find a larger more serious and professional group of affiliates anywhere. Period. You have to give it some time, just as launching a new program or building traffic to a site, nothing happens overnight or even in 6 months.
    Hi Knight01,

Again I really appreciate the feedback. I had to re-read your post this morning and I might not have addressed a couple of things properly:

I'm not entirely sure what I can reveal within the forum but I can tell you this much. We have approximately 4,000 affiliates. I'm guessing that they are not the same as the quality affiliates here within ABW because we had that disastrous relationship with a previous affiliate forum owner and the fraudsters generated by that forum (as well as a few other sources) were in our network for a while.

I believe I gave a glimpse of the type of person I am. I might not have mentioned that I was a 'serious' musician playing guitar and bass and doing music production but nowadays a "Legend in my own mind." As far as the company goes Tarsus has worked with several major networks. If anyone needs references, I would prefer sending them to you via email rather than broadcasting over the affiliate forum. I have read the Forum Rules several times and I believe that I have been abiding by the rules.

The reason why I'm in the forums is to prove my worth to at least my colleagues, secondly my advertisers, and most importantly myself. Tarsus is offering banner and email advertising mostly and we have a dating site, an education portal in the works, several exclusives, and a hodgepodge of other offers revolving around verticals in my aforementioned posts. As a reminder there is no risk in applying to our website under the Affiliate Signup tab and if you feel uncomfortable in divulging your information on our site, you can set up a call with me and we will go from there. Hope this also helps and thanks.

Cheers
    Last edited by TarsusIan; November 18th, 2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Quote section missing beginning bracket.

this kinda makes me giggle, it may or may not have the same effect on you who ever you are! The amount of posts one has should not be a reason for speculation. I have more post than the tarsus Ian only for this reason i talk alot. or type well whatever. Some people actually hang out as guests reading and reviewing long before coming a "official member". And as far as not having any promos, maybe that will change could be he is searching for a tasteful and meaning full way of promoting or maybe he doesn't have the go ahead from the higher ups to spend the money for the promos, what ever the case the thread is about disappointment for the AC/DC concert, not why did you or don't you post more. Could be he is one of the hundreds of guests that creep through and read and learn. uh edit i think i do talk tooooo much sometimes i was going to delete this lol
    Last edited by jodyq; November 18th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.

In keeping with the two topics that were a disappointment. I am so thankful and grateful that I'm going to see AC/DC tonight at the IZOD Center. New Jersey so Rocks!!! I wasn't too thrilled about paying $310.00 smackerinos for two tickets. OUCH!!!

For those who don't know They only have concert tours five years (or more) apart. Angus may wear a schoolboy uniform but he is 53. you never know what can happen with Rockers one day they're there; the next day...well...I still miss Bon Scott. Granted 'Back in Black' is a classic I think the WORLD of the Bon Scott years with AC/DC. Here are the songs I'm expecting to hear tonight (from the Bon Scott era):

Highway to Hell
    The Jack
    Whole Lotta Rosie
    Shot Down In Flames
    Let There Be Rock
    Problem Child
    Bad Boy Boogie

Here's My personal 'dream list' of tunes (in priority order)
    Jailbreak
    Night Prowler
    Ride On (Norah Jones covered this one, does anyone know where I can hear it? It's not on her site or her records)
    It's a long way to the top (if you wanna Rock and Roll)

Grace Note: I had a Gibson SGX (now discontinued) for a minute. It was great but now I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard as it's replacement.

Secondly: I'm majorly interested in finding out what needs to be adjusted or improved to peak a potential affiliate's interests to join Tarsus. So the comments and suggestions are equally helpful and welcomed as generating quality leads. Here's where we asked for affiliates to join us. If anyone has comments on this thread and what was said please let me know.

Hope this clears up things and I will inform everyone when I have implemented the changes mentioned in the previous posts.

ABW Ambassador
    I had an opportunity to see AC~DC back in 1991 at the Monsters of Rock festival. I actually ended up going in 1992, ended up seeing Iron Maiden again (also went in 1988)
    I really want to see AC~DC

I visited your site and can't guess what I get for signing up so I didn't. Generally some idea of the merchants/creatives that you feature helps people decide if their sites/skills are a match. I suggest you visit some of the other networks and see what they show folks before they ask them to sign up.

Hey 2Busy,

I just got back from the Show. AC/DC Did things a little differently. They closed with 'Highway to Hell' and Encored with 'For Those About To Rock...' I will talk with the web guy in the morning and convey to him that we need to show some of the offers available in the Network. As an example we have some popular offers (Debt Free with John Cummuta) and we also have a few exclusives. (DebtWhizz, Great Car Rates, Life Insurance Policy Quotes, Online Dating Site) There's no fee for signing up and the only truly private information in our application is your TaxID/SSN, after that I can't think of anything preventing anyone from being a part of our team.

I'm pretty sure that all the other Affiliate Networks ask for the same thing. Since most of the Networks are using DirectTrack (e.g. CPAEmpire/Affiliate.com, SilveriNet) as their backend I'm confident that we are providing the same service. All we are doing is Lead Generation and Sales. Although we have incentivized offers We are NOT doing any promotion for them. We will soon phase out that side of the business. Too much temptation of fraud. Hope this helps and goodnight.

Ian

Question What are your verticals?
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I took a look at your "Homepage' which I have to assume is the home page for your network, and, from the affiliate perspective, I see some reasons why you have not been as successful as you had hoped.

Let me ask you a question. Would you go into a restaurant, sit down, and give the server your personal financial information, including info about your employment, where you live, and your credit card info, and then let them serve what ever dishes they may have in the kitchen?

Well, your site directs any prospective affiliate to do just that - give all of their personal information to an entity with which they are unfamiliar, with no idea as to what they might be receiving in return.

When I look at a new affiliate network, the first thing I look at are the merchants on the network, to see which, if any, might be a possible fit for one of my sites, or for a future idea I have. If you promote CPA offers and not merchants, I also need to know that, and the likelihood of my interest will then drop considerably.

Few affiliates will join a network in the dark, as seems to be required by yours. Click any of the "publisher" links, and there is no list of merchants (or offers), but only a sign-up form. Also, that sign-up form asks prospective publishers to pick a category for their site, from a list that includes categories that just do not fit most affiliate sites. And which of my sites do I choose to fit into one of those categories? Will I be denied because I picked the wrong site (or 3), that may not be a fit with your unknown merchants, when I may have 6 other sites are are good fits?

If you are not meeting sales goals, the place to start is with the info about your network that is available to prospective affiliates, and with the sign-up process.
    Just Curious: What verticals are you looking for and what changes would you like to see on the Tarsus Site?

Tarsus Media Partners website
    Affiliate Hound,

Since you gave the most helpful suggestions about our website, I wanted to inform you that we will be updating the entire site shortly.

I was hoping to receive feedback about the new site from folks here at ABW and I would like to hear your opinion on our new site. Kindly please share your thoughts and don't hold back anything. Thanks. Here's a sample of the text that will be applied to this site:

Tarsus Media is an affiliate network determined to make a strong commitment to our affiliates as well as our advertisers. To us, affiliate marketing is both a team effort and personable service. As part of our commitment, we give you, the affiliate, a payout thatís worthy of your time, talents, and websites. Tarsus Mediaís strengths are attention to detail, a strong customer service background, and our determination to bring to you quality offers in various verticals. Thatís the Tarsus Media difference!

Kindly let me know your thoughts. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread