Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Rampant SoCal Fires
    What a weekend in SoCal - first the Santa Barbara fire, then the Sylmar fire (now called the Sayre fire), followed by separate fires in Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Brea, and elsewhere, that have all combined as the Triangle Complex Fire, which is as close as about 15 miles from my house, and the sky here has been gray and full of smoke and soot since yearly yesterday.

The Triangle fire has burned over 7000 acres, and tens of thousands have been evacuated. It is now 5% contained. The Sayre fire is now 30% contained, but has destroyed over 9000 acres and hundreds of homes.

90-95 degree temps and high winds continue, despite the calendar that says its November.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    About 15 miles from our house as well but we are lucky.
    We have a 5800 foot mountain between the fire and us.

Fires..how we might be able to stop them...very expensive though
    I grew up in Santa Barbara and my family is still there.

These fires are ridiculous, they get them all the time.

I think....

There should be a 'Fire Tax' maybe it could be optional...people in the coastal towns tend to have a lot of money and maybe would submit on their own...the insurance companies could pitch in and be taxed as well..I bet they would be up for a solution to these fiascos.

My proposed idea would be supply each relatively major city with two planes that drop water etc. on the fires..

Then when these fires occur, a stream of 50 or so planes could fly one by one over the fire and get it controlled before it escalates into these un-managable disasters.

Just an idea. Maybe I'll write Arnold.

* each some what major California city would have two planes

Other states have different disasters and wouldn't be asked to pitch in.

I think I'm going to run for Senator.

I hope you're safe there AffiliateHound;

Don't want to read about over done hot dogs in the headlines.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by PronouncePro
    There should be a 'Fire Tax' maybe it could be optional...people in the coastal towns tend to have a lot of money and maybe would submit on their own...the insurance companies could pitch in and be taxed as well..I bet they would be up for a solution to these fiascos.

My proposed idea would be supply each relatively major city with two planes that drop water etc. on the fires..

Then when these fires occur, a stream of 50 or so planes could fly one by one over the fire and get it controlled before it escalates into these un-managable disasters.

Just an idea. Maybe I'll write Arnold.
    First, cities like LA already have fleets of water-dropping airplanes and helicopters, and more are immediately brought in from other areas when there are major fires.

Next, we are already taxed excessively for fire prevention and fire fighting services. High fire areas have heavy fines imposed on residents for not clearing brush at specific times of the year.

Insurance companies "pitch in"? You've got to be kidding. They are too busy spending their resources denying and fighting claims.

Finally, why coastal towns? The majority of these fires, and generally the worst fires, are in the inland mountain and canyon areas. Of the current fires, only the Santa Barbara fire is anywhere near the coast - the others are 30-50+ miles inland. Even the horrible Malibu fires that unfortunately happen regularly, are primarily in the canyons north of Malibu, which are predominantly not in the city of Malibu, but in an unincorporated LA County area that only uses the Malibu post office id.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence
    I hope you're safe there AffiliateHound;

Don't want to read about over done hot dogs in the headlines.
    Thanks, Bob, but we are far enough away from the actual fires, with a couple of other canyons, 2 freeways, and a few other assorted hills in between, its just close enough for the smoke, clouds, soot, etc. to be pervasive. We are awfully hot dawgs, though - 90+ temps since Friday.

One question is, do they ever determine what starts these fires out there? Is it people or lightning strikes from storms mostly?

One question is, do they ever determine what starts these fires out there? Is it people or lightning strikes from storms mostly?
    There are numerous causes. Most are accidents, started by campfires, cigarettes, and once in a while, electrical sources. Unfortunately, many of them are arson. They do extensive investigations, and prosecute anyone and everyone who sets them intentionally. As of now, the causes of the Triangle and Sayre fires are unknown.

Thanks for answering,
    I was going to suggest that if it was lightning they could erect some cell phone towers in those areas heaviest hit and prevent some of the lightning strike

I see.

My campaign is not off to a good start.

Okay, so the insurance companies don't pitch in, but are just taxed.

I only mentioned coastal towns becasue that is where I am from and have some info. to draw off. There are people there with 100's of millions of dollars in the bank who go into panic when these fires happen.

They might be willing to opt for the optional tax for my 'shoot for the moon' fire prevention plan.

I'm just watching from the dusty trails of Phoenix and it seems that with all those fires and that whole ocean to draw upon, somewhere something is lacking.

Maybe 80 helicopters. They can fly over, pick the water up and drop it off. Darken the skies with the blades of massive helicopters. I read about fleets of planes and helicopters, but I didn't read about 80 of them.

(The funding is there in personal accounts...at least an option for the donation) ( I'm aware it's unrealistic )

If nothing else, I offer my hope that the fires are controlled and that you and everyone slightly threatened remain safe.

Well, I thought the air was bad here, but I just got back from LA, and the smoke in the LA basin area is 10 times worse than in the San Gabriel Valley where I live. I don't think I've ever seen it that bad during a fire before - I've seen it darker and with less visibility, but never with as putrid, unable-to-breath smokey air. I'm choking and I've got laryngitis, but at least I don't have to talk to type.

I hope things are better soon for the entire geographic area
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Update on investigations as to causes of the fires
    Not much yet on the LA and Orange County fires, but they now know the cause of the Santa Barbara fire. From KTTV-TV website:
    An anonymous tipster led police to discover that a bonfire built by students and never fully extinguished was responsible for the massive wildfire in Santa Barbara that destroyed 210 homes, including multimillion-dollar properties, authorities said.

The tipster told police 10 students gathered a week ago at a property known locally as the "Tea Garden," next to an abandoned home in the hills of Montecito, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Tuesday. They built a bonfire during the night and stayed until 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. Thursday morning. By Thursday night, when "sundowner winds" took hold of it, the seemingly harmless blaze was on its was to destroying hundreds of homes.

The students, men and women aged between 18 and 22, believed that had put out the fire before leaving.
    Article

I heard Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) lost his $11 million house in the fires. I wonder if Marty still has that Delorean tucked away soemwhere?

But seriously, my sympathy to all.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    There are numerous causes. Most are accidents, started by campfires, cigarettes, and once in a while, electrical sources. Unfortunately, many of them are arson. They do extensive investigations, and prosecute anyone and everyone who sets them intentionally. As of now, the causes of the Triangle and Sayre fires are unknown.
    Old thread but important follow-up: In 2006, five firefighters lost their lives fighting the Esperanza fire, that also destroyed 41 homes and charred 41,000 acres. A couple of weeks ago, Raymond Lee Oyler was convicted of five counts of first degree murder in setting this fire, and yesterday he was sentenced to death. Story.

It won't bring back the firemen or even begin to make up for the pain he has caused both emotionally and financially but I'm glad this type of crime has been really taken seriously. Least I've never really heard of punishment this strong for this type of crime before.

Entirely different thing but fairly close to where I live some of you may have seen it on the news that there's been people (couple so far I think have been arrested) who have been setting fires to peoples houses in this particular town. Friends of mine live there and it is such a scary thing to go to sleep at night not knowing if some idiot is gonna set your house on fire.

Won't debate the death penalty but am glad to see a severe punishment for this type of crime. Hope it helps in some way in the healing process for those that were effected by his stupidity and evil nature.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread