Effects of bad economy? EPC dropping?
    We've seen our EPC drop dramatically over the last few weeks. Note: this is a drop in EPC, not traffic levels. It really seems like our visitors are still clicking away but just window shopping and stopping short of pulling out their credit cards.

October looked like a 33% or so decline in EPC from September (our last normal month). November is beginning to look like another 20% or so drop from October - we're off by around 50% if you add this up. So far.

Anyone else seeing similar performance drops?

(Posting this in the CJ forum because I only know for sure it's happening there - it's easier to measure EPC on CJ because the number is right there when you login.)
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    I see something similar. Lots of small ticket items being purchased, and not so many big ticket items.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    ...Lots of small ticket items being purchased, and not so many big ticket items.
    Yep, the same observation was made by one of my past clients in our recent conversation. The number of orders hasn't dropped much, but they are predominantly smaller ticket orders now.

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    (Posting this in the CJ forum because I only know for sure it's happening there - it's easier to measure EPC on CJ because the number is right there when you login.)
    The merchant I'm referring to is not on CJ. I am sure this a tendency.

Geno

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    I see something similar. Lots of small ticket items being purchased, and not so many big ticket items.
    You never know.
    Saw that in CJ a few minutes ago:
    Sale Amount (USD) $2,099.00 Commission: $314.85 and it's a leisure item.

Understandable. That appears to be a single case. No trend is absolute but overall, people are making "wiser" spending decisions. That translates into further from impulse and closer to need. I hope it continues, quite frankly. We need some practicality in the markets, period.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekForeal
    Understandable. That appears to be a single case. No trend is absolute but overall, people are making "wiser" spending decisions. That translates into further from impulse and closer to need. I hope it continues, quite frankly. We need some practicality in the markets, period.
    DerekForReal, I think you are signature marketing(spamming). I read your posts, they seem a bit random and forced. I went to your site also and realized that you are after free traffic from signature marketing.

Be careful here.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park
    DerekForReal, I think you are signature marketing(spamming). I read your posts, they seem a bit random and forced. I went to your site also and realized that you are after free traffic from signature marketing.

Be careful here.
    First of all, sam_park as far as I know on ABestWeb, signatures are not allowed. So, if that is the case, I am TRULY lost.

Secondly, you have been a member just a little over or under 2 months more than me. Now granted, there is a discrepancy in post count but I am a member of a handful of affiliate marketing communities and over a dozen that are of my own personal interest.

So, being on here for two years and NEVER having anyone confront me about spamming appears a bit odd. This is probably the most savviest affiliate community I know off on the web. I don't even come here for traffic. I am ALWAYS the student and I absolutely have no problem with that.

I am trying to figure out what I have posted that gives that impression. I am just as much a member as anyone else here. I have asked for advice via email, since I don't have enough posts to pm, and they have NEVER said I was posting inappropriately. The members of this forum are not falling for a signature.

What gives?

I have a signature? I live for my signature!
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I just noticed this announcement when logging in - so your EPC dropping might be an effect of this:

Improved EPC!
    Commission Junction now removes clicks generated by search bots and spiders, improving the overall accuracy of EPC (average earnings per one hundred clicks) in the CJ Marketplace. For more information, please contact Client Support.

TrishaLyn, I think the "Improved EPC" would actually do the contrary: raise the EPC.

I'm also noticing an EPC drop. The 7 day EPC is about 75% of my 3 month EPC.

My ruff guess is that current spending level is about 50% of 2007 (could be due to the fact that thanksgiving 08 is nearly a week later then 2007).

The drop in our EPC is not an optical illusion of any sort - we're seeing a proportionate drop in commissions...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Same trend here. I am glad I didn't quit my day job.

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    The drop in our EPC is not an optical illusion of any sort - we're seeing a proportionate drop in commissions...

Our's actually increased over the last month or so.

Holiday spending in full force, and the program is starting to mature now.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    TrishaLyn, I think the "Improved EPC" would actually do the contrary: raise the EPC.
    Generally speaking, but sometimes wonky things happen.

Out of curiosity, how much stock do you guys put into EPC anyway? I've heard a range of answers, from not caring at all to watching it like a hawk and obsessing, so I'm curious to get a broader opinion base?

on a scale from 1 - 5, i'd say epc would be a 3.

not the most relevant number that i care, rather, im more concerned about the actual sales figures and commission paid out. however, it is important to know because so affiliates use that measure to determine where your product links are placed. the higher epc, the better the placement.

jodyq, then my apologies.

TrishaLyn, EPC is not very important. It's just one more metric to use to pilot your operations.

Basically your "relative EPC" can tell you, if people are taking more clicks to buy or if they are buying smaller ticket items. Both pretty much thing we have been expecting (given the economy) to see since a few months now. Nothing dramatic yet... I'm still expecting a major boost starting 11/28....

This is more or less a universal slide but it could turn around. If gas could go from over 4.00 a gallon to 1.80 a gallon in a couple of months and the stock market rollercoasters around on a daily basis,things are very volatile. Once things stabilize and people aren't holding their collective breaths then sales should resume. Not necessarily as strong as before the market collapse but enough so that those offering great products and services at competitive rates should do well.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Generally speaking, but sometimes wonky things happen.

Out of curiosity, how much stock do you guys put into EPC anyway? I've heard a range of answers, from not caring at all to watching it like a hawk and obsessing, so I'm curious to get a broader opinion base?
    epc is one of my best friends. I use it to compare my performance to others. I'll keep pushing a program if my own epc is way above the merchant average epc. It means I'm doing fine. If my own epc is under, I'm wasting my time with this merchant. I can either try to improve my performance or quit the program. Finding the best way to promote a merchant is important and challenging.
    If I can't find a solution to rise above the average, quite likely something is wrong with the merchant, bad affiliates, TM bidding... or I don't understand the market, and it's better to do something else.
    For this to work, you need to have a significant volume of sales and have many competing affiliates. If you're the main affiliate, the average epc will be yours.
    I'm not obsessed by my average epc. The one you can see at CJ or GAN by example. (All merchants) It's changing all the time. It can give you an idea of the day in the week or the season. A calendar can do the same.
    I'm sure you can find other ways to use epc. It's just my own experience. If you're using networks epc, just to decide to promote a merchant or not, you're missing a few metrics.

Maybe I got the discussion onto the wrong track by focusing on just EPC. It's not the EPC per se that concerns me most. Our commissions are down by the same amount. The reason I mentioned EPC was to clarify that clicks (traffic) don't seem to be down at all. EPC and commissions are.

In other words, consumers seem to be (1) window-shopping instead of actual shopping, as well as (2) going for lower priced items when a sale is actually made.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriFalcone
    This is more or less a universal slide but it could turn around. If gas could go from over 4.00 a gallon to 1.80 a gallon in a couple of months and the stock market rollercoasters around on a daily basis,things are very volatile. Once things stabilize and people aren't holding their collective breaths then sales should resume. Not necessarily as strong as before the market collapse but enough so that those offering great products and services at competitive rates should do well.
    Agreed TerriFalcone, this is what I'm hoping for. In the best case, we could see this turn around start mid-2009 ( I think Cramer from MSNBC was also saying that a few weeks ago..not sure what his position is now...).

My average order size has been increasing over the last couple of months.

My EPC is at an all time high as well as sales. I am not seeing any decline but massive improvement over last year.

sales and EPC has seriously picked-up since BF...hopefully it stays this way till Santa comes to town...although according to some polls many more shoppers (50% versus 13% ?) are officially done shopping this Christmas versus the same time last year....time will tell.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread