Yang Steps Down As Yahoo's CEO - Breaking News
    Yahoo said Monday that cofounder Jerry Yang will step down as CEO and return to his former role as Chief Yahoo upon the appointment of his successor. Yahoo Board of Directors has initiated a search for a replacement.
    Yang, 40, assumed the CEO role at the Board's request in June 2007. He has led Yahoo through a strategic repositioning and transformation of its platform.
    Source - http://www.mediapost.com/publication...49486&p=178803
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    wow.. that is a big change for him n yahoo. I guess it is for the better since the microsoft failed takeover / missed opportunity.

When times are tough heads do roll. Maybe with a new CEO they feel they can bring Microsoft around again. I doubt it.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

What Is Yahoo
    CNBC had a great discussion about Yahoo yesterday. They believe the big problem is that no one, not even Yahoo, knows what type of company they are. Are they a search engine, news organization, media/entertainment company? Sort of applicable to all businesses, including AM. You must define yourself.

Yea, but...
    Who's to say that Yahoo desires to be defined. There are loads of companies that make different products in different markets. Hyundai is an extremely large shipping company as well as an automobile company. Yamaha has been making motorcycles and keyboards for decades. Yang probably wanted the freedom to restructure his life as well as the company.

Granted Microsoft would definitely make a difference but since Google owns Yahoo, wouldn't that make all three (Google, Yahoo, MSN) one in the same and thereby giving the same "service" with a different name. Don't know about everyone else here but there was a time when I couldn't get enough of Netscape but when AOL got their hands on it I hated installing the browser.

The duality of what I'm suggesting is that a company's directives and initiatives can often taint what was once a good product.
    Last edited by TarsusIan; November 18th, 2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    [B][FONT=Verdana]Ian McKenzie | Affiliate Manager[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]212-777-7729[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][URL=http://www.tarsusmedia.com]Tarsus Media Network[/URL] [/FONT][/B]

I think what CNBC was trying to get at is that of the many different things Yahoo does, they are not the best at any of them. CNBC is looking at it from an investor standpoint. If I were to invest in them, what type of company am I investing in? Also, what is Yahoos plan to BECOME the best?

I don't have much of a personal opinion of Yahoo, because I rarely use them.

http and a telephoto
    Google owns Yahoo? Did I miss something?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Earlier this year Microsoft was trying to acquire Yahoo, but it didn't happen. then just recently google was trying to form an advertising partnership with Yahoo, but rumor has it that MS used it's influence to nix that deal as well.

It's all very confusing, but I believe all three are still seperate companies.

With Yang stepping down many believe this will reignite the acquisition battle.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Google owns Yahoo? Did I miss something?
    Yep Deb, you did. Yahoo is owned by Yahoo right now, but I would not be surprised to see Y bought up by another player other than Microsoft in the not too distant future and at a much reduced price from what Microsoft offered. Yang was naive if not totally wet not to accept the offer from Microsoft a few months back. Hopefully the good news of his resignation will spark others to re-examine a possible buyout.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I'm not surprised; many have been speculating that this was coming for awhile since they can't seem to decide who they want to be associated with over there.

It's seemed from the beginning that Yang was making rookie mistakes with playing offers against each other and inadvertently sabotaging the deals entirely.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    I'm not surprised; many have been speculating that this was coming for awhile since they can't seem to decide who they want to be associated with over there.

It's seemed from the beginning that Yang was making rookie mistakes with playing offers against each other and inadvertently sabotaging the deals entirely.

Hehehe, he was a step up from his predecessor though - who did not know how to send or retrieve email!! So hey, maybe Yahoo is making progress in small steps?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Hehehe, he was a step up from his predecessor though - who did not know how to send or retrieve email!! So hey, maybe Yahoo is making progress in small steps?
    LOL that I didn't know - hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Yep Deb, you did. Yahoo is owned by Yahoo right now, but I would not be surprised to see Y bought up by another player other than Microsoft in the not too distant future and at a much reduced price from what Microsoft offered. Yang was naive if not totally wet not to accept the offer from Microsoft a few months back. Hopefully the good news of his resignation will spark others to re-examine a possible buyout.
    Theres no way google will buy them out... not after the trouble they got into just to share search with yahoo

http and a telephoto
    Right, I knew Google was looking into a search deal and then backed out. So I was surprised by the statement above that Google owned Yahoo.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread