Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I bet none of us knew this about Sears!
    This is NOT in any way intended as a political thread, but rather as my personal "thank you - job well done" to Sears...

I received this from a friend and I was sincerely touched. I am very proud of Sears for their unselfish contributions to humanitarian endeavors, but I was not aware of their policy toward employees called up to serve our country. They do not advertise this, which they easily could do, so that gives it all the more meaning to me. Here it is...

I know I appreciated this reminder since Sears isn't always my first choice when shopping. Amazing when you think of how long the war has lasted and they haven't withdrawn from their commitment.

How does Sears treat its employees who are called up for military duty?

By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up.

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.

I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution. I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reiinforcement it well deserves.

Decided to check this out for accuracy before I sent it forward, so I sent
    the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:

I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your company. If this indeed is true, I know I will go out of my way to buy products from Sears for a like item, even if it's a little cheaper at another store.

This is their answer to my e-mail:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sears.The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback.

Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.

Bill Thorn
    Sears Customer Care
    webcenter@sears.com
    1-800-349-4358

Please feel free to pass this on to all your friends. Sears should be recognized for this outstanding contribution and as Americans we should show them that we do appreciate what they are doing for our military and our country.

I and my family will make a point of buying at Sears when possible to show our support and gratitude for their patriotic and humanitarian actions.

It's also verified By Snopes.com at:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp
    Last edited by loxly; November 18th, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: removed duplicated info in post that is in sig already
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http://www.searsholdings.com/communi...o/military.htm

Many of the exact details are there. It is encouraging to see an employer so directly involved in the lives of its workers. I guess the same benefits apply to Kmart employees also since it is part of SHC.

-sfcom

Yes, Sears is a very decent employer. I too worked for Sears while in college. I still remember my boss's name. He was Greek so his real name was Gennaro Pataka, so for ease of memory, he was called 'Jerry Pataka'. The store was store# 195 in Hicksville, NY (on Long Island for everyone else reading this) where I was a B Mechanic at Sears Automotive.

All kidding aside, Sears has great policies for their employees as well as their consumers. I still buy Craftsman tools today and I always will. Aside from the fact that they are Made in the USA, they also have a lifetime guarantee (not sure if that applies to Craftsman Tractor Lawn Mowers) for all of their tools.

Secondly since I worked in the Automotive Department I can attest that the Die Hard Battery is a quality product. It's perfectly normal for the battery to have a shelf life of six months and keep your car going for 60 to 72 months. The time I worked there Sears utilized a labeling system for its' batteries that determined the month and year in which you purchased the battery in the event that the consumer could not locate the original receipt. This was necessary to honor the Five or Six year warranty that came with the battery.

I have seen where Sears (some of you might remember when they were called Sears & Roebucks) will go the extra mile in order to satisfy a customer: e.g. A customer who had bought Sears RoadHandler tires nine months prior complained about the tires' performance. Management approved having all four tires (approximately $700 total) replaced free of charge. Stuff like that happened every now and again.

Sears is fine by me! That's good customer service.
    [B][FONT=Verdana]Ian McKenzie | Affiliate Manager[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]212-777-7729[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][URL=http://www.tarsusmedia.com]Tarsus Media Network[/URL] [/FONT][/B]

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Agree Sears has always been the best in customer service and no surprise in their care of employees. One of my first jobs was at Sears and moved up from three different depts before I left after 2 years to follow computer career, otherwise would have gladly stayed there longer. Management and work ethics was always the best towards me and others back then too, glad they still are the same way today.

Yeap, they have always been the best in service for tires, craftsman tools, die hard batteries and more.

Alan, when you get a chance could you please put that sig on a diet?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

It is so nice to see a large corporation behaving in this manner. It reminds me of a company that I worked for that not only gave employees full pay while on jury duty, they also let the employee keep whatever pittance the government was giving to those on jury duty. Rare to find that type of civic mindedness in companies these days.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Alan, when you get a chance could you please put that sig on a diet?
    Oops - I've been out the past couple hours so did not notice that I must have duplicated sig info?? Looks like Loxly took care of it, so thanks.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks for passing this along, Alan. I have posted it on my site now as well. It's nice to hear positive stories about companies when it seems all we ever hear are the negative.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    YAY Sears! Makes me feel good about promoting them.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I hear there is speculation that Sears, like many other big retailers, is in financial trouble and that this anticipated dismal holiday shopping season may send them running for bankruptcy protection.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I hear there is speculation that Sears, like many other big retailers, is in financial trouble and that this anticipated dismal holiday shopping season may send them running for bankruptcy protection.
    Did I just hear Debbie Downer? LOL. I have not read anything like that about Sears but I'd be interested in where the speculation came from. Did I miss a business report somewhere? My mom always used to say: "they say it's going to be a hot summer" and I would always ask: who are "they"? so don't mind my curiosity, it's my nature I just hit up the fed for a measely 1.2 billion bailout request, so I'm lookin good!!!!!!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    The "they" would be the Chicago Tribune, who follows Sears pretty closely.

Here you go Alan...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1753604.story

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know they did that.

I was shopping for tires this week. Now I'm going to Sears to buy them, and let the manager know why. While I'm waiting I'll grab a bunch of gift certificates and knock out most of my Christmas shopping. When I give them out, I'll let them know why this is what they got.

An assertion
    I think it's a disservice to our own economy as Americans to have to watch longstanding retail stores (Woolworth's, B Altman's, Bamberger's, Macy's, May's, Gimbel's) completely disappear because larger conglomerates (Cargill, DuPont, Monsanto, etc.) have decided that the American worker is not as valuable as the American consumer when in reality we are one in the same. I think to an extent what the auto manufacturer's did where they offered the price of vehicles at employee discounts was a step in the right direction. I sure do hope that this new administration will somehow impact our economy in a positive way.
    [B][FONT=Verdana]Ian McKenzie | Affiliate Manager[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]212-777-7729[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][URL=http://www.tarsusmedia.com]Tarsus Media Network[/URL] [/FONT][/B]

Outsourced Program Manager Ronald Marva - SEOP's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing. This kind of corporate dedication to employees is rare especially in times economic difficulties. Sears deserve all the commendations for having this kind of commitment for corporate citizenry.

Lets pass the word for this great service....and, grab a couple of gift certificates for giveaway this Christmas as well as a token of appreciation.

I think it's a disservice to our own economy as Americans to have to watch longstanding retail stores (Woolworth's, B Altman's, Bamberger's, Macy's, May's, Gimbel's) completely disappear because larger conglomerates (Cargill, DuPont, Monsanto, etc.) have decided that the American worker is not as valuable as the American consumer when in reality we are one in the same. I think to an extent what the auto manufacturer's did where they offered the price of vehicles at employee discounts was a step in the right direction. I sure do hope that this new administration will somehow impact our economy in a positive way.
    I'm not tracking your message, but since economics and politics are often linked, i'll keep my opinion to myself.

Yep, buying at Sears is a good way to show our appreciation for their employee policies. And hey Grey, don't worry, if they do file for bankruptcy, they won't be going away - just reorganizing and moving ahead. Thanks for the read too Seymour.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread