ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    D'OH
    Or do they just want the free traffic in case they aren't changed in time.
    What a BRAINSTORM

Dear WBShop.com Affiliates,
    We are moving WBShop.com to a new e-commerce platform on Monday November 25 at 11p.m. Eastern Time. We will take care of switching over all banner and text link urls on Monday in CJ and the changes will automatically take effect on your site. Unfortunately, Product Links are manual. We will be uploading an entire new product catalog on Monday and we''ll be deleting all old products from the system. Since Product Link changes aren''t updated dynamically in the CJ system, if you have WBShop.com Product Links on your site you will need to pull them ALL down on Monday night or first thing Tuesday morning and replace them with the new Product Links which will be live in CJ Monday after 6pm. Eastern Time.

Please bear with us on Monday during this change. We are moving to a new e-commerce platform in an effort to improve performance of our site, which should in turn result in higher conversion and more commissions for you.

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Didn't you know that the best time to change to a new e-commerce platform is three business days before the biggest shopping day of the year?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

btw, New Line Studio shop is, of course, doing the same thing.

[This message was edited by abagoo on November 23, 2002 at 08:58 PM.]

I swan. Merchants will pull any dirty trick to get out of paying commissions, or so it would appear.

Shame on them.

At least, they had the b*lls to let you know they planned on scr*wing a lot of affiliates over.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

quote:
    Originally posted by abagoo:
    Didn't you know that the best time to change to a new e-commerce platform is three business days before the biggest shopping day of the year?

Well... of course! OTOH, It's a big outfit, they probably had overwhelmed servers last Christmas and maybe it took till now for the approval for new ones to wend through the levels of management? At least they're not moving away from CJ and leaving countless inactive links for the season.

I got the same darned letters ... It really is stupid of them. In fact, it shows that they do not care about their affiliates at all. What is that, 3 days warning?

quote:
    At least they're not moving away from CJ and leaving countless inactive links for the season.

They are leaving over 1100 inactive links! All their products are not going to track!

quote:
    Originally posted by Witness:
    They are leaving over 1100 inactive links! All their products are not going to track!

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not very good timing whatsoever, what I meant was "inactive" as in still working but not paying commissions because the merchant decided to drop an in-house program for a network (for instance).

But theirs sound like they'll be dead in the water, so whatever percentage of their affiliates that aren't all that active are extremely unlikely to change them in the near future. Active ones, like yourself, will be hard pressed to do the change in the short time-frame. I just have a couple of pages of products for each of them so it won't be a big job, but all along they've had very active dropping of product links in comparison to others.

ABW Ambassador
    WW ...

Good to see ya healthy and posting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dave

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    Good to see ya healthy and posting
    Thanks Dave

Not sure about healthy......was home day and a half, went to get stitches removed and they kept me in for 48 hrs instead. First time I ever heard a doc say we may have let you leave too soon.
    Back home again...for now at least.

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

ABW Ambassador
    well, i am a bit annnoyed, i make 10 sales a day at least from the wb shop and i now have to change about 50 product links tomorrow, but i don't know when to do it, because i am in the uk, and not sure of the timing, so i will probably lose a few $ tomorrow.

ABW Ambassador
    Tamalyn - just a suggestion - take out all the product links that are set to croak, replace them with a banner for the time being (these will remain active), put your head between your knees and pray real hard that googlebot does not visit before the new product links can be added.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

quote:
    Originally posted by Crankin'_Deelz:
    take out all the product links that are set to croak, replace them with a banner for the time being

I was thinking that, and also an opening paragraph for NewLine where the Lord of the Rings merchandise was: "I told you you should have pre-ordered, all of the product links have fallen into the Crack of Doom, as soon as Frodo retrieves them we'll repopulate this page, in the meantime browse the main shop. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    i like that lord of the rings one, very cute, and yes i will make them all main store links.

more work!

Why can't they give you the new links ahead of time atleast, atleast give us a shot of changing the pages before they have to be changed, I just started making sales with them too.

They just sent this email in the CJ system:

Dear Publishers,
    I should have stated in the original email that all old WBShop.com product links will not be dead but will redirect to our home page during this transition. The new product links will be available in CJ at about 4pm PST today, so you can start building the new pages at this time. These links will not work however until about midnight tonight. But as mentioned above, your old product links will be redirected to our home page so you won''t lose sales, it will just be a bit more work for the customer to find the product on our site once they get there.

The new product link file will overwrite the old file, so Product ID''s will remain the same, except for new products (which I will call out in an email to you around 4pm PST today once the new file is at CJ) so you will be able to do a "replace" function to just replace the linking url for all WBShop.com product you currently have on your site.

Thanks,
    Lisa

quote:
    so you will be able to do a "replace" function

How do you do that?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

quote:
    How do you do that?

They're changing image servers and leaving the product id alone. So the images in your existing code are pointing at new-line/nlc/ etc. (for example) and the new code is pointing at new-line/new etc. You would do a "find" for the old "nlc," replace with "new."

In other words the image itself should be the same so you want to replace the old path prior to the actual image.jpg/gif with the new.

That said, about half of my product links are 404ing, the other half working fine and it doesn't appear that the code at CJ is different yet as of 9PM EST or 6PM PST - a couple hours past the indicated time.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread