Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Article: Effect of Personalization on SERPS
    Article by Bruce Clay from his presentation at PubCon, about the effects of Personalization on the future of searches, including his opinions that
    • "Ranking is Dead";
    • That the importance of linking will diminish;
    • "We're going to see a lot of "Google Dances" early in the year."
    SEO About to Get Turned On Its Ear?

I can't help but think that a lot of the personalization data is derived from info Google obtains through Google Checkout, and apart from the effects on affiliate marketing, this whole thing is an additional massive intrusion on the privacy rights (heh) of everyone doing searches, and making online purchases.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Interesting read AH - thank you for posting!

Get your tap shoes ready!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I submit that Google does more than watch your IP. Do you use G-Mail? Do you think G-Mail is free? Think again. Google has been very cleaver in hooking people up with their many different offerings and features that give them enough information about YOU to develop their search and shopping strategies.
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; November 19th, 2008 at 05:21 PM.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    Do you think G-Mail is free? Think again. Google has been very cleaver in hooking people up with their many different offerings and features that give them enough information about YOU to develop their search and shopping strategies.
    I think I must confuse Google
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

meh

I love people who say "Ranking is dead" Ranking is basically all a SE does as far as a product.

They talk about separating 'java' the drink, location, & programming language. So what, if I sell 'java' the drink, I still want to rank better than others doing the same.

Geo-targeting: If I sell 'java' in seattle, I still want to rank better than others doing the same., etc.

And then they say sites without videos won't be able to compete? If I'm looking for a coupon, or want to know the age of a celebrity, or the capital of nepal, do I really need a video?
    I already know where to go to get a video.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    And then they say sites without videos won't be able to compete? If I'm looking for a coupon, or want to know the age of a celebrity, or the capital of nepal, do I really need a video?
    I already know where to go to get a video.
    Exactly. I fail to see the value of videos as far as serious customers are concerned - they primarily want the product they are looking for, at a good price, with cheap, fast, and reliable shipping - not to sit for 4 minutes being entertained. They also know where to go for that. And, if they are looking for information about similar products, through video or otherwise, they may look at the video, but still shop at the site that offers the best deal, video or not.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    I submit that Google does more than watch your IP. Do you use G-Mail? Do you think G-Mail is free? Think again. Google has been very cleaver in hooking people up with their many different offerings and features that give them enough information about YOU to develop their search and shopping strategies.
    I know what you mean. In my day job I sell equipment, it's a small specific market, maybe 8 to 12 companies selling this type of equipment. After I started using Gmail I started getting ads on my Gmail page from my competitors and ads pertaining to this specific industry. Google has to be scanning my emails for keywords to target me with these ads. It was kinda spooky at first and I do feel it's an invasion of my privacy.

There you go! I doubt that G is actually looking at email content though. But, when you are logged in to gmail and using your browser, they DO monitor your browsing habits. They put that together with your email account, and voila[!], contextual ad serving.

X

Ed

Thanks -"I doubt that G is actually looking at email content"

I just figured it out. They are looking at the subject line. One type of my machines has a vacuum system to remove dust and debris. I just checked several old emails and that was the first one - it had vacuum in the subject line and the ads are all for home type vacuum cleaners. Another had - invoice - most of the ads targeted software for invoicing. Another had - sales - and leads and sales management were targeted. Well at least I don't think they're scanning my email content directly. So now I only feel a little violated. Is that kinda like being a little bit pregnant?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread