More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Clicks but no sales...
    After finally getting some traffic to a specialty item site I have worked on for a long time, I am not seeing many sales. And generally, I was getting a sale with very few clicks and it was not even a big gift-giving season. But these are higher priced items so I am wondering if the current economic letdown is the culprit.

How are your sales, as compared to other years at this date?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The good news is that my sales are about the same as a year ago. The bad news is that now I have about 12,000 more links out there than I had a year ago just to keep that pace..

Tell the truth and shame the devil. The economy has not begun to stabilize and while people fear for their jobs and their homes they tend to buy only what they absolutely need to buy. To make money you need to work smarter and harder than ever before but it is still possible.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

I can't compare from last year as I was starting to ramp up AM one year ago. However I can say I am disappointed where I am right now, I was hoping to make bigger gains. In the beginning of the year I see sales and larger amounts. These days I do see sales more often but seems like the amount spent per sale has dropped considerably. People are not splurging as much.

Can't compare to previous years, but I can say that I'm at about the same level as the past several months. Which is not good, since sales should start trending upward with early-bird Christmas shoppers in early November. Not to mention the fact that I increased my number of pages throughout Sept & Oct, which should have translated into a sales boost.

Timid shoppers are not surprising given the drumbeat of bad economic news, but I hope people will loosen up a bit after Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    The good news is that my sales are about the same as a year ago. The bad news is that now I have about 12,000 more links out there than I had a year ago just to keep that pace..
    Similar experience for me. Updated sites, new sites, new blogs, new links, videos, etc. Same income.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My traffic is way up from last year, but my sales are running about 80% this month compared to November of last year. The first half of the year I was running at about 150% of last year's sales.

I'm not so much worried about my sales from holiday shoppers as I am what will happen to sales after the holiday season, should the economy not improve or get worse, which I expect it will.

Cheesehead, who is the target audience? Everybody's spending patterns are changing right now, but some a lot more than others. Some people are watching their 401Ks take a nose dive, while others are blissfully spending their paychecks on text messages. One demographic could mean a bigger drop in sales over economic concerns. Of course it could also mean a stronger resurgence in sales when things improve again...

I did a blog post last month about affiliate marketing in a recession if anyone's interested. It wasn't earth shattering or anything really new, but writing it got me thinking a lot about what people buy when they're concerned about money.

Vehicle maintenance is an obvious one. People aren't buying new cars. Instead they're spending more money than ever to maintain the cars they have. The same logic should be able to be applied to affiliate marketing. I mean, say I had a site related to printer ink or home office supplies, should I apply the same maintenance logic and shift away from pushing brand new OEM inkjet cartridges over to marketing the refill kits instead...? Seems like there should be quite a few parallels like that between what's in the news and what's sold online.

Are more people doing their own home improvements over hiring out (tools and how to books)? Are vacations more likely to involve road trips over flying (travel games, guidebooks, in seat dvd players and camping gear)? Are products that promise savings elsewhere a smart bet (weather stripping, fuel additives, solar gizmos)?

Anyway, just food for thought really. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and a brilliant Cyber Monday!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

My overall revenue has improved - BUT - only after a VERY dismal summer. I used that time to rethink my overall strategy, and spent hundreds of hours on new sites, pages, etc etc

I try to cover both ends of the spectrum now.. those who continue to spend will find new ideas, those who feel the pinch find suggestions on how to make do with very little spending. This is similar to what Eathan is talking about.. totally agree with him on that point.

Also.. and this is very important... I'm not assuming there is growth in my niche. Instead, my focus is on increasing my SHARE of the niche...

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Cheesehead, who is the target audience? Everybody's spending patterns are changing right now, but some a lot more than others.
    My market on my shopping site is for somewhat pricier gifts in a particular niche. They are selling, but not as good as usual for the number of clicks. And purchases are lower as well.

The rest of what I do is content-based with some content-driven product links.

I am doing fine. I am doing the same when I started back 11 years ago. 1998-2000 was my best year. I blame it on the way the game has change. I am talking about seo. I have not kept up with the current seo strategies and found new and better way as I once did.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Instead, my focus is on increasing my SHARE of the niche...
    Exactly. Our retail sales are roughly twice what they were last November, not because sales in our niche are booming, but because we've worked hard to increase our share of the available sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    My market on my shopping site is for somewhat pricier gifts in a particular niche. They are selling, but not as good as usual for the number of clicks. And purchases are lower as well.
    I was asking more about who buys the gifts, for whom and why. I imagine that the extremity of any changes in buying habits would have a lot to do with that relationship.

For example: parents may spend a little less on birthdays this year, but they'll still do their best, while corporate spending on employee Christmas gifts will likely plummet drastically (that's just a hunch).

Is there any way you might be able to identify a group within your overall market that is still spending, and target your marketing accordingly?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I keep reading this thread title as, "Chicks but no sales." My bad. Carry on.

Like the chap above my sales are not very much higher than this time last year although my sites are ranking better and I have tons more links
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread