ABW Ambassador
    DNS Issue With My ISP - Is That The Correct Terminology?
    Wanted to make sure I have it right, the guy at my cable company was arguing with me and hung up.

Told him the problem was on their end.

The problem is I could get to every site just fine yesterday. Today I can't get to Overstock.com or Amazon Associates or Hubpages or Facebook etc. I can get to other sites just fine. I tried different browsers so it isn't a browser issue. If I go thru a proxy like http://www.hidemyass.com I can get to those sites just fine. So the problem is what exactly? DNS with my cable company?

http and a telephoto
    Yes, I used to have that problem in Rochester. I would have to call and argue with them, then they would eventually get to the part of the script where they can reset the connection from their end and it would clear their cache and reset the DNS paths.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Alright called up again and said what you posted and got someone who knew what they were doing and said the problem is on their end and to wait a couple of hours.

First, ping those sites in a DOS window and check the IP addresses that come up, if any.
    Check your hosts file for corrupt/malicious entries. If there are none, and you still can't reach those sites, find out what the IP addresses should be and manually enter them in the hosts file. Visit each site in your browser. If you go back into your hosts file and remove the entries you made, and visit the sites again, they will likely work, as your computer will retrieve fresh info from the DNS server.

Another solution is to point your computer to a different known good DNS server, at least temporarily.

X

ABW Ambassador
    Don't even know how to do any of that. Have to remember, I am one of the most tech challenged people on this board. Don't know what a dos window is or how to ping.

With my last call to my cable company they told me to:

Open up control panel - network and sharing - manage network connections, right click on LAN - pick diagnose and it said your modem or router is not available. Guy said he had the same problem with the last guy that called, having some of those problems in my state. That it was a problem on their end and to give it a couple of hours.

I think the problems are getting fixed. Some of the sites I couldn't get to are working for me now, still can't get to some others.

http and a telephoto
    I love when the person that figured it out for me the first time explained it and when I called back and told the next they were like "huh? how did you know that???" and they were skeptical and pleasantly surprised when it worked.

They have to deal with lots of problems and with lots of clueless people, so when they get someone that has a clue and helps them solve problems for a general issue, they actually are relieved
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I am one of the most tech challenged people on this board. Don't know what a dos window is or how to ping.
    Ok... Sounds like none of that would have done any good anyway.

X

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    They have to deal with lots of problems and with lots of clueless people, so when they get someone that has a clue and helps them solve problems for a general issue, they actually are relieved
    My experience is that tech support usually knows less than I about how to troubleshoot it. I can't stand it when they begin with the plug...

X

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    My experience is that tech support usually knows less than I about how to troubleshoot it. I can't stand it when they begin with the plug...
    I tell them to skip to page 10, or read the script quietly to themselves while I tell them what I already did and what they need to do next, lol.
    Deborah Carney

Exactly. When I resort to calling tech support, I've already eliminated everything on my end...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    LOL I've done that job and it's a difficult situation for all parties. You really do have to cover the basics, though - it's possible to go a long way down the line before finding out something isn't plugged in.

Hi Trust,

Just change the DNS servers settings on your computer (it's in one of those network settings you'd clicked through this morning) to:

Might not even need to do a reboot. These are the two OpenDNS servers.

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

Yup, I agree TLE.. switch to OpenDNS. If you sign up, you can get more features too, so you can block malware and/or adult sites. It is a very fast service, and often more secure than your ISP.

I was a bit doubtful about OpenDNS at first because I couldn't figure out how it supported itself.. after all, running those servers costs real money. It turns out that if you mis-type a URL, then instead of an error screen you get an OpenDNS page with suggestions to the URL you are looking for, at this may carry some advertising. I think that's a pretty fair deal.. no spyware or nasties or anything like that, just some ads that you will see once in a while.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread