Promotional Dates / Expired
    An Affiliate is sending out Promo emails, with links to Banners that are noted in the CJ interface as follows:

20-Oct-2008 - 16-Nov-2008
    *** This promotion has ended. ***

Are these links still usuable?

Do I still get credit if a user clicks on banners / links noted as expired in the CJ Interface?

ABW Ambassador
    The promotion might have ended, but it still is a valid affiliate link. The user may not the get the offer that was being promoted, but if the user makes a purchase, you will still get the commission.

This is unless, the vendor has clearly communicated that these links should not be used any more.

I got my first introduction to the ebb and flow of affiliate marketing. I got a message from CJ today about a merchant that had been deactivated.

Mind you, I just built a relationship with this merchant last week. No one knew anything then? I just found that to be very odd. Not bad, but odd.

Companies get deactivated and then reactivated, read through the forum and there is a thread where we state deactivated and reactivated try to stay away from those. and post yours there, can anyone put the thread up, I have a url phobia.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    Companies get deactivated and then reactivated, read through the forum and there is a thread where we state deactivated and reactivated try to stay away from those. and post yours there, can anyone put the thread up, I have a url phobia.
    This is really off topic, but I think you mean this thread

Magi - At first I was confused by your post. When you say "An Affiliate is sending out Promo emails" you are, I now presume, referring to a merchant. You are the affiliate. As to your question, unfortunately many expired links will go to an error page, rather than to a merchant page where customers could still end up making a purchase. Most expired links, however, seem to go to a page where the customer then sees what they want at a higher price than advertised, or without the 10% off or free shipping they thought they were getting, and can become rather upset. Bottom line - if you see an expiration date that has passed, don't use the links.

DerekForeal - As jodyq said, most merchants that are deactivated are reactivated within a couple of days. If they remain deactivated for a week or so, then their eventual reactivation becomes more unlikely.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by DerekForeal
    I got my first introduction to the ebb and flow of affiliate marketing. I got a message from CJ today about a merchant that had been deactivated.

Mind you, I just built a relationship with this merchant last week. No one knew anything then? I just found that to be very odd. Not bad, but odd.
    I was responding to this post, read then snap and thank you for posting it.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It was DerekForeal's post raising a different issue that was off topic.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    This is really off topic, but I think you mean this thread

Magi - At first I was confused by your post. When you say "An Affiliate is sending out Promo emails" you are, I now presume, referring to a merchant. You are the affiliate. As to your question, unfortunately many expired links will go to an error page, rather than to a merchant page where customers could still end up making a purchase. Most expired links, however, seem to go to a page where the customer then sees what they want at a higher price than advertised, or without the 10% off or free shipping they thought they were getting, and can become rather upset. Bottom line - if you see an expiration date that has passed, don't use the links.
    First off .. ME + Merchant or Merchant + Me = Affiliate / Affiliates

But since you were confused, I'll use ur merchant lingo instead...

A Merchant is sending Out Email Newsletters with links that if u check in the CJ interface are expired ...

My Question was in regards to this ... are the links still trackable for sales / leads ... ?

some1 answered yes .. so im all set!

Quote Originally Posted by Magi
    First off .. ME + Merchant or Merchant + Me = Affiliate / Affiliates

But since you were confused, I'll use ur merchant lingo instead...

A Merchant is sending Out email Newsletters with links that if u check in the CJ interface are expired ...

My Question was in regards to this ... are the links still trackable for sales / leads ... ?

some1 answered yes .. so im all set!
    Magi, someone also mentioned the reaction your customers may have when they click on a promotional link only to find that the promotion has ended. They may feel that you were being deceitful and you could lose those visitors forever.

My advice would be find new links or e-mail the merchant to let them know that the links they sent were expired and request new links. I can't imagine that they intentionally sent out expired links.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread