Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    GiveClicks
    I'm not sure where the best place to post this is. In my research on the Onecause toolbar I ran across some other similar types of software. In particular this one -

URL Removed.

This doesn't seem to be a toolbar but rather some Windows software that you download. Once you download it, it's invisible, and only activates when you visit a merchant site...

What is the industry attitude towards this type of software?

You posted this in that other thread and I deleted it. Now here. You're gone...

X

It always happens --- once we catch one parasite others come out the wood work to expose others so that we all ignore the major thieves -- I've seen it many times in the past seven years.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Admin Note: Per the Rules:

Board Moderation
    Board moderators' decisions (including, but not limited to: editing, moving, deleting of single posts or entire threads) are final. You will accept this. Also, you will not re-edit a message that has already been edited by a moderator or the administrator out of defiance of the original edit. Starting discussing such a decision on the board, will get you either a ban-warning or banned (in our sole discretion). If you feel that you have be treated wrongly, please contact us via this form and we will look into it and review the situation and any/all circumstances. During the review period we may disable your access to the board and/or close the appropriate thread. Any creation of new aliases on the board by an offender / suspended or banned will immediately result in full denial of review and a full IP ban.

Sorry Ed - I didn't mean to post inappropriately. I saw you delete my other post but it said you deleted it because it was off topic for that specific thread (which in hindsight I see). I tried to send you a PM and ask where to post but it said I didn't have enough posts to do that yet.

I think I understand the stakes are higher w/ Onecause because they are connected to one of the affiliate networks directly. But what is the attitude toward other types of software (toolbar, downloadable, BHO, whatever) that is out there? What types of actions are taken to fight them when there is no Linkshare to go after? I haven't been able to find much on it...where should I look?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_moxy2
    Sorry Ed - I didn't mean to post inappropriately. I saw you delete my other post but it said you deleted it because it was off topic for that specific thread (which in hindsight I see). I tried to send you a PM and ask where to post but it said I didn't have enough posts to do that yet.

I think I understand the stakes are higher w/ Onecause because they are connected to one of the affiliate networks directly. But what is the attitude toward other types of software (toolbar, downloadable, BHO, whatever) that is out there? What types of actions are taken to fight them when there is no Linkshare to go after? I haven't been able to find much on it...where should I look?

Are you looking for info for a thesis for college?

As I said, board moderation rule - pretty stubborn "college student" - shoot with all this rule breaking you must be either a network rep or a toolbar.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    Methinks there was an IP block to remove the misses....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    a bit too much moxy

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    As I said, board moderation rule - pretty stubborn "college student" - shoot with all this rule breaking you must be either a network rep or a toolbar.
    Was thinking a toolbar affiliate too. Too many strawmen to be ignored.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    And another thing, it's spelled m-o-x-i-e.

I do not know the original poster; however, I am familiar with the program she was asking about, have done extensive research on it and so have several major 3rd party affiliate networks which we all know and they have approved the plug-in and while at first glance it may appear to be similar to the toolbar style plug-ins it is quite a different animal so I just wanted to make a comment here to suggest that people should not classify an apple as being an orange without investigating a situation first.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    --HERBERT SPENCER

Dude, you're a tad suspect yourself.

You registered on 12/27/07, made a bunch of lightweight posts, and disappeared for 11 months. Now you show up supporting some toolbar that's been spammed on the forum. Do you think your opinion has any credibility at ABW?

See my quote above Rhea and ask any number of people who I am and about my integrity.

Here is a good place to start should you care to dig a bit deeper before "troll hunting".

Wishing everyone a prosperous Cyber Monday!

Nah, you're not a troll. I'd have called you one if I thought you were. But you are the owner of the giveclicks toolbar. You should have mentioned that in the glowing review of it you posted below.

Hey All,

Just for the record, "Dude" has been my friend on Facebook for some time now and he seems to be a solid person. I'm not sure what this argument is about or have time to get involved right now; just wanted to send my support and vouch for someone I think is a decent human being.

Depending on how well you know me or not, you can judge my opinion accordingly.

Good wishes to ALL!
    Annie
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

I am not the owner of GiveClicks...I wish I was quite honestly because it's a piece of IT genius! I do not even have a signed contractural agreement with GiveClicks and have no fiduciary relationship with them whatsoever that I neglected to disclose as per your contention Rhea. I created a wordpress blog for GiveClicks and did not charge them a penny and I may have a future channel partner relationship with them but at this time I do not have any interest or reason for my posting here other than to caution people from jumping the gun too quickly and lumping it in with the other plug-ins prior to investigating their program further.

I am simply someone, like you and all the rest in this thread who was at first very skeptical of their plug-in who investigated it further and intitially was unable to see the difference between it and the toolbar plug-ins that Scott Jangro discussed in yesterday's ReveNews posting that has finally been able to wrap my brain around it and can honestly tell you that it is not the same animal and I'd be happy to to explain it in here if you wish but that is not my purpose in posting here and I don't believe that this is the place to do it.

http and a telephoto
    Reminder software that pops on a link is not any better or worse than a toolbar. That said, I haven't looked at this particular piece of software. If it behaves the same as the One Cause toolbar, then it is also a parasite. If it stands down on other affiliate links or direct type in traffic, then it's fine. If not, it's not.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It is the latter Loxly

ABW Ambassador
    Come on Dude, you have done some work for them in the past, and may do so again in the future.

Your opinion about this toolbar means nothing!

Whatever you say Julian, I am not looking to engage in any flame war here and will not be baited by you or anyone else into one. I have stated my opinion after extensive investigation, stated the fact that I have no current vested interest in doing so, disclosed a "potential" future interest and am simply requesting that you and anyone else do the legwork, investigate the program for yourself before lumping this program in with all the rest...this isn't even a toolbar as the inititiator of this thread stated in her first post!!!

Carry on if you wish but please do so from an educated position.

Why do you think we would be interested in this app/toolbar/BHO/parasite/"reminder software" or whatever it really is? Why are you taking up the case and trying to convince us that it's ok? How about posting elsewhere here and offering some value to the community?

X

Unhappy
    Ed, with all due respect (sincerely) I contribute to the affiliate marketing community in my own way and at my own locations and the close minded, lynch mob mentality that has been exhibited in this thread is precisely why I choose not to participate here. Please show me where I have done anything but attempt to edify your membership about them drawing the wrong conclusion about this application without even bothering to do a minimal amount of investigation!

I saw this thread at the time it was originally posted and hesitated to post, I sent a private email to the owner of this forum just last night to ask his permission to post here, have since discussed the application in great detail with the company's IT Chief and am quite simply posting here to tell you and everybody else who has rushed to judgment without doing likewise that you are wrong about this application.

This is much akin to the witch burning scene in "Monty Python's Holy Grail"!

"It looks like a duck and a duck floats so it must be a witch...burn it!"

or

"We don't know what it is and we're not going to bother to investigate it to find out what it is yet since it sounds like it could, maybe, be an apple we're just going to proclaim it to be an apple and anyone who doesn't have 2,000 posts here must be a spamming troll."

Ok, I'll rephrase. Why do you care what others think about this specific affiliate?

X

Thumbs up
    Because of yesterday's blog post by Scott Jangro which appeared in ReveNews that I read and know many others read regarding the charity "toolbars" which this is not. My reading that yesterday reminded me of this thread which I read at the time of the posting and which likewise led me to the the wrong conclusion about the application just like everybody else here.

I am merely and as politely as I can attempting to share information with you all that I likewise jumped to the wrong conclusion based upon what I read in this very thread which I have since taken the time and effort to research for myself that has proven to be inaccurate.

Surely, the members of ABW are not interested in contributing to misinformation about a new application that just may be something that can benefit the entire industry and a lot of charities along the way??

Thank you for rephrasing your question Ed, I do appreciate it greatly!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast