Brick & Mortar and the G-Phone
    This post
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_moxy
    Gotcha...let me pose another question to you. What if I walk into Barnes and Noble and browse around for a couple hours, read some books in the cafe, and then find a book I want to purchase. Rather than purchase it there, I fire up my iPhone and buy it via Amazon.com. Have I just "stolen" money from Barnes and Noble? Certainly it doesn't seem 100% ethical but I'm not sure how BN could prevent it.
    reminded me of something my son Matthew showed me a couple days ago. He has a G-Phone and likes to install apps on it. He was talking about one that reads barcodes. So I pulled a container of salt from the pantry and held it up to him. He slung the screen around a little (G-Phone/I-Phone people know what I mean), ran the program and scanned the salt's barcode. Whoah! An image of the salt appeared as well as links where it can be purchased online (or off), and prices. Talk about a revolution in shopping!

X

Ed last week the Wall Street Journal did an article about standing in a target at the mall and using that software. Basically the guy scanned something and went next door to Wal-Mart and bout it $3 cheaper. It is an app that will change shopping in stores, not that I know anyone that still does that
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Just wanted to add that I am buying a Blackberry Storm tomorrow or the next day. I am forced to use Verizon as it is the only service that works in my neighborhood.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I do love that setup on my G1... Especially when I'm in WalMart and it tells me to go next door to Sam's Club.

I showed it to the manager at WalMart and watched his blood pressure rise.

I have about 10 different ideas for a website based around scanned in barcodes. But, I've never been able to find any type of database that contains all those barcodes...

eventually, when people are able to find and buy more and more things using phone apps, a lot of websites may become irrelevant?

I would imagine that it is using data from Google Base. Scanning the barcode would give the SKU and voila!

I was thinking about this earlier and came up with the same thought about Google Base. GB now emphasizes including the UPC with your listed products, so this will have to be a priority for me.

This is a new up and coming channel that I believe we'll have to exploit in order to be competitive. It will be much easier for a merchant than an affiliate, particularly if GB is the data source. That in itself leaves affiliates out in the cold not being allowed to submit to GB.

So what this means is that eventually most people will have immediate access to virtually all product data to make quick buying decisions. This opens up impulse online buying as well. I don't believe this will marginalize online buying anytime soon though because B&M can't compete price-wise with eCommerce.

X

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    They need something like this for my BlackBerry curve, I'd use it all the time!

The G-1 has a barcode scanner built in? Or is this an accessory? Never heard of this...

It's a barcode image recognition thing, detecting gradation shifts as you move along the barcode, and not a laser thing like at your b&m checkout.

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

ah ok, so its basically reading the barcode through the camera... they have a similar technology in japan... the camera in phones can read these symbols they put on everything from mcdonalds wrappers to movie posters. If you scan the image with your camera it brings up the company website or a special offer or a contact email in your phone...pretty cool stuff

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread