Thread: New Overstock Jeweler Re-Launch & Program Restrictions

Outsourced Program Manager Allen - AMWSO's Avatar
    New Overstock Jeweler Re-Launch & Program Restrictions
    Dear Overstock Jeweler Affiliates,

We are pleased to welcome ABW members and Overstock Jeweler affiliates to join our re-launched affiliate program on the ShareAsale network.

Please kindly read our program restrictions below and remain aware of our affiliate guidelines.

From all of us at AMWSO and Overstock Jeweler, we would like to graciously thank ABW members and all Shareasale partners, for their continued support, partnership and co-operation. Let's have a great Thanksgiving/Christmas shopping season!

Cheers,

Allen

Program Restrictions:

All Overstock Jeweler affiliates are required to describe our products in page titles, written content and all forms of text and/or creative as "Inspired by Designer" or "Celebrity Style" jewelry.

All Overstock Jeweler affiliate partners are expressly prohibited to use the following descriptive keywords to describe our products in page titles, written content, or in any form whatsoever on a website, email marketing or in Pay-Per-Click campaigns in search engines;

"replica" , "reproduction", "copy", "faux", "fake", "imitation", "look-a-like", "made in the likeness of", "-esque", and "knock off", as well as derivatives or synonyms thereof.

All Overstock Jeweler affiliate partners are expressly prohibited to use following brand name and collection name keywords to describe our products in page titles, written content, or in any form whatsoever on a website, email marketing or in Pay-Per-Click campaigns in search engines;

"David Yurman", "Cartier", "Van Cleef & Arpels", "Bulgari", "Bvlgari", "Gucci", "Cable Collection", "Thoroughbred", "Silver Ice", "Albion", "Love Bracelet", "Trinity", "Panthere", "Lanieres", "Agrafe", "Tank", "Pasha", "Tankissime", "Alhambra", "B.Zerol", "Parentesi"

All Overstock Jeweler affiliates that use our product data feed to display products on their website or online media, available either through the ShareAsale network, or through 3rd party providers such as PopShops or other online datafeed providers; are expressly required to update their the product data feed at least once per week, to remain in compliance with our program restrictions.

Should any Overstock Jeweler affiliate not abide by any of the program restrictions stated above, such actions will be deemed in violation of our program agreement whereby their affiliate status will be immediately de-activated and may be subject to permanent removal.
    [SIZE=1][B]Allen Miller. Affiliate Manager, EZvacuum.com / UnitedShades.com[/B]
    [/SIZE]

Not sure if any others are gonna have questions or it'll just be me but am not sure I'm understanding the terms correctly. Guess it would be easier to just get if over with and ask here in case any others might have the same or similar type questions. Wanna be clear on things so as to not be violating any terms. Thoroughly confused as to what's goin on but that's beside the point. Guess I figured they'd just be goin to another network and any individual product images, banners or text links would show up as invalid links or the status of the program would be showing as closed at SAS when that happened. Then it would be up to us to decide on going to another netowork and replacing all those links or just removing all the dead links once the program was officially closed at SAS. Didn't expect it to re-launch at SAS.

First, I'm guessing that any links that are anywhere now that were at anywhere prior to signing up to this re-launched program will be dead links either now or very soon and that all of these links everywhere will have to be changed over to this re-launched program's links. Since they're gonna have to be updated at least once a week guess there aren't gonna be nearly as many links as there were before. (that's just referring to me since I add the links manually by choosing which products I wanna feature, not others who use datafeeds)

Guess this is the main thing I'm not understanding:
    "All Overstock Jeweler affiliates are required to describe our products in page titles, written content and all forms of text and/or creative as "Inspired by Designer" or "Celebrity Style" jewelry"

Does this mean as an example if we currently have a page title that says:
    "Sterling silver cz blue topaz rings" as the title and on that page we have various merchants products featured (which would include OJ but also other merchants, too) are you saying that we have to change those titles of our pages to say
    "Inspired by Designer" or "Celebrity Style" jewelry" instead of what we have now which is "Sterling silver cz blue topaz rings" or are you saying that the title being "Sterling silver cz blue topaz rings" (or other titles for pages that may be similar in nature) has to be changed to say "Inspired by Designer" or "Celebrity Style"?

Am not sure if you're saying my example of
    "Sterling silver cz blue topaz rings" or something similar is ok?? ....we just can't make any mention of any of these words in any titles:

"replica", "reproduction", "copy", "faux", "fake", "imitation", "look-a-like", "made in the likeness of", "-esque", and "knock off", "David Yurman", "Cartier", "Van Cleef & Arpels", "Bulgari", "Bvlgari", "Gucci", "Cable Collection", "Thoroughbred", "Silver Ice", "Albion", "Love Bracelet", "Trinity", "Panthere", "Lanieres", "Agrafe", "Tank", "Pasha", "Tankissime", "Alhambra", "B.Zerol", "Parentesi" as well as derivatives or synonyms thereof.

Getting back to this part: "All Overstock Jeweler affiliates that use our product data feed to display products on their website or online media, available either through the ShareAsale network, or through 3rd party providers such as PopShops or other online datafeed providers; are expressly required to update their the product data feed at least once per week, to remain in compliance with our program restrictions"

I'm assuming in regards to this that it includes any links that are made by the "Make a Page or Get Specific Product Linking Code at SAS"?? I don't use any datafeeds from SAS, just those mentioned tools but have a feeling SAS or OJ gets them thru the datafeed even tho I'm not personally using the datafeed??

Guess those are the only questions I have for now til I figure out what exactly I'm gonna do.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Kathy

I've asked Allen to take a look at the above as I need his eyeball to go over it and give the correct answers

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hi Kathy,

Yes we had to de-activate all the links from our previous ShareAsale account, all affiliates were informed by email and posts here on ABW. I'm sorry for the inconvenience of having to change your links.

Regarding page titles, if you would like to make a product page, such as "sterling silver blue topaz rings", it is OK to do so. The program restrictions are in place to advise our affiliates the best way to describe our products which would be a page title that says "Inspired by Designer Sterling Silver Blue Topaz Rings" or "Celebrity Style Sterling Silver Blue Topaz Rings".

Regarding your (edited out) , the new program restrictions means unfortunately, that you would not be able to market Overstock Jeweler products on that particular web property in the new program. However, it's certainly alright to promote us either of your sites which by the way, is a fantastic example of your creativity for Overstock Jeweler products.

Yes if you use the Make-A-Page tool, through ShareAsale, you should try your best to keep it up to date, by refreshing it at least once per week and checking your custom links once per week or so. We do apologize if this is a difficult request because you code manually. Honestly, Overstock Jeweler is adding and changing products daily on their site, and it's important for affiliate success in conversions, especially data feed affiliates, to have visitors land on a product page that is precisely relevant to the product image clicked. This bit of maintenance is intended to keep our affiliates' sites fresh with the latest products, and keep their conversions high.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Best,

Allen
    Last edited by Trust; November 24th, 2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: removed mention of site
    [/SIZE]

Arrow
    I don't know, but I wonder if Kathy is ok with having two of her sites listed above, for everyone to see.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I don't know, but I wonder if Kathy is ok with having two of her sites listed above, for everyone to see.
    Thanks Sal, edited.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen - AMWSO
    All Overstock Jeweler affiliate partners are expressly prohibited to use the following descriptive keywords to describe our products in page titles, written content, or in any form whatsoever on a website, email marketing or in Pay-Per-Click campaigns in search engines;

"replica" , "reproduction", "copy", "faux", "fake", "imitation", "look-a-like", "made in the likeness of", "-esque", and "knock off", as well as derivatives or synonyms thereof.
    What's wrong with the words "reproduction," "imitation," and "faux"? Those words are very general descriptors and do not violate trademarked trade names.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What's wrong with the words "reproduction," "imitation," and "faux"? Those words are very general descriptors and do not violate trademarked trade names.
    Check this thread, Post #1, and click on the injunction link, then check paragraph 4, page 6 of the injunction: Prohibited terms for anyone associated with Overstock Jewelers.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks AffiliateHound.
    [/SIZE]

First, thank you very much Mr. Sal for lookin out for me. and Thanks Chris, too for editing it.

Ok, ummm I don't know if I'm the only one not understanding this or not? Have a feelin maybe I am. Will post here in case I'm not, tho. Unless there's some sorta boo boo at SAS I don't have a clue what is goin on. Will try to explain without making it too confusing sounding, hopefully.

When I attempt to get individual product links using the Make a Page tool there is one OverstockJeweler.com listed under my merchants for the customized merchants and also the Primary search criteria option. When I look at the code for them, it includes the OJ merchant id from the old program (least according to my product links on my site) Keep in mind I hadn't removed my links since I had assumed they would go to bein dead links once the old program moved to where it was going or just ended at SAS. Figured I'd know exactly when that was since they'd show as bein invalid links and then I'd remove all of em at once since I do em manually.

Had assumed I wouldn't be able to place individual product links on my sites (and squidoos) anymore at that time since I only use AvantLink datafeeds (and very sparingly at that). So, that explains why I have links still up. They're not showing as invalid links, tho? So, don't understand that.

Ok, so I now signed up for the new re-launched program. Umm, not sure if there's a SAS boo boo and just not showing anywhere for me or not but I can't find any individual product links with the new program's merchant id on em. Only ones I see are the old program's (which if I'm understanding all this would mean I'm in violation of the terms.)

If I just go to get banner or text links (technically any links I guess is the correct term...except it only has the option of text or banner links. It doesn't list any product links there) it has links for the new merchant id for OJ. It also lists both the new and the old OJ programs for me in the search programs option. But, if I click the new one it takes me to get the links.

So, I guess what I'm asking is.....for any of my banners or text links (except text links attached to my individual product links) I should be changing all of those links to the new links that have the new merchant id shown for them. Correct?

Regarding all of my individual product links. Am I supposed to replace all of them using the Make a Page tool at SAS even tho they list the old merchant id in the links but they will be showing the current product's links?

Or, is there just a delay in the individual product links bein available so that I can't replace them and by bein that way, I'm not gonna be in any violation of terms or am I?

In regards to: "We do apologize if this is a difficult request because you code manually."

Guess, I just wanna make clear to anybody who may be reading or has already read this. Am not in any way whatsoever complaining about having to change any links. Am aware that's completely my fault since I do things manually and don't use the datafeeds option which most affiliates probably use. So, am not blaming anybody or complaining or anything. That's completely my fault they'd have to be changed.

Ok, hopefully I haven't made this sound too confusing, if so guess I'll try to give it another shot.

Hi Kathy,

The old program has been de-activated however it is SAS policy that a merchant account is not completely deleted until 30 days, so that is why you are seeing it come up in primary search.

Regarding the new program, we have had some issues with the automated data feed upload, and its affecting the IPL. I've manually updated the data feed today and the individual product links should be fixed within 24 hours.

Yes you'll have to change all your links, banners, text, IPL and Make-A-Page links. You might have to wait a day or so for the Make-A-Page tool links. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Allen
    [/SIZE]

Sorry I hadn't gotten back to replying to this til now. Am sorry you ended up having to manually update the datafeed. Yeap, the Make a page now has the links in it.

"Sorry for the inconvenience."
    No apology necessary. I don't blame you or think it's your fault. It's my own fault for bein a computer dummy. If I wasn't I wouldn't have to be doin all this stuff by hand. Nobody's fault but my own. Am in the process of changing all the links and they'll be done soon. Thank you for answering my questions.

It's certainly alright to promote us either of your sites which by the way, is a fantastic example of your creativity for Overstock Jeweler products.
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; January 12th, 2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Link Dropping

14. Newsletter Signup