Content Management System
    Just wondering if anyone use a content management system to build & maintain their sites? If you do what are you using and is it easy to use? I help out a local school with their site and I am thinking a content management system may be an easyer solution for all.

kse, I use Joomla for a couple of sites and even though I love it, it has it's challenges. The learning curve is pretty steep but there are plenty of plug-ins and modules to make life easier and help you create a custom look and feel for your site.

One of the advantages of a school using Joomla is it's ability to have multiple administrators, authors and contributors each with their own permissions and restrictions.

Take a look at Joomla.org, there are tons of templates and extensions there as well as a live back-end demo so that you really get a feel for it.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I use Wordpress. With all of the plugins you can make it do just about anything whereas before that wasn't the case.

I like Joomla but I don't like how prone to hacking it is. Also there is a steep learning curve. But I still like it for some things.

I've launched a pretty successful Joomla site, but you can't release it, then leave it.. My site had 2 attempted hacking attempts (I had to upgrade to new releases both times), but I recall someone here had the same happen with wordpress.

No open source CMS app is immune - you will just have to stay on top of updates/patches/security fixes.

I don't install Joomla sites for others for this reason (I don't have the time to handle their version control!). But for me personally, it's been great..

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I use Wordpress. With all of the plugins you can make it do just about anything whereas before that wasn't the case.
    Is not Wordpress just for Blogs??

Is not Wordpress just for Blogs??
    no. Wordpress can be turned into a content site without a blog at all. Once you jump in, it's easy to use. The book Wordpress for Dummies has an entire chapter on content management.

Wordpress is a great blogging platform. I used it to create posts and pages one of my blogs and have enjoyed it (yes the abundance of plugins helps a lot). It has worked for me as a CMS for small sites, as it can create both posts and pages.

However when my requirements become more complex, and i needed my pages to have lots of extra functionality i started to feel the pain. I had to start hacking around a lot in PHP - and i didnt want to do that.

One other thing that wordpress misses is integration. On my site, I used wordpress for blog, vbulletin for forum, and a java wiki. As you can guess, integration (e.g single sign on for all users), was not an easy task. Not to talk of implementing the same look-and-feel across the whole site.

I guess I would have liked to have one solution that allowed me do all the above, instead of trying to string together 3 different systems.

I've used joomla a long time ago (I think it was called mambo then) but cant comment much on it.

I am currently using Drupal on one of my sites, and it is looking good so far. Its a CMS with blogging, pages (giving you the ability to customize multiple front pages), customizable menus, and forums all provided with the default installation. And it has loads of plugins and a vibrant community as well.

Leaving all these php-based CMSes, if you are comfortable with working in a .NET environment, take a look at
    DotNetNuke. It won the best open source cms award
    http://www.packtpub.com/article/over...nal-dotnetnuke

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I use WordPress and a bunch of custom scripts to do product display.

Wordpress

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    The book Wordpress for Dummies has an entire chapter on content management.
    Hmm, I've been a proponent of using WordPress as a CMS but didn't realize there was a whole chapter on it. I may have to pick that book up afterall. Thanks!

http and a telephoto
    I wouldn't use anything with "nuke" in it after I got hacked with every version of phpnuke and postnuke out there.

WordPress developers stay on top of security issues and have a program that upgrades gracefully, many of the other CMS systems are a BIG hassle upgrade and secure.

WordPress FTW (for the win)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    i vote wordpress, too. hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I wouldn't use anything with "nuke" in it after I got hacked with every version of phpnuke and postnuke out there.

WordPress developers stay on top of security issues and have a program that upgrades gracefully, many of the other CMS systems are a BIG hassle upgrade and secure.

WordPress FTW (for the win)

Word

Thanks all I think I will have a look at DotNetNuke first and then I will have a closer look at WordPress as well to see what will be the best option for them.

Thanks
    Last edited by kse; November 22nd, 2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Another vote for WordPress here. Learning curve is easy, very reliable and plenty of help available should you run into a snag or two.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Wordpress MU (Multi-User) was specifically designed for group collaboration in an education situation. The original project is shown at Wordpress.org to explain all the whats and hows. I would think that would be perfect for this application.

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Thank you all
    I use WP as though it were a CMS on several sites. Not too hard to modify.

BUT -- If I really wanted a simple to use, easy to learn, easy to set up CMS, I've never seen anything better than Website Baker. You really should consider this one if you want something that'll do just about anything you want from a CMS, and has a number of good templates available -- and isn't NEARLY as hard to learn as Joomla, Drupal, and all those heavyweight CMS.

In fact, I might play around with Website Baker some more this weekend now that I remembered it ...
    Generate more fake news.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread