Holiday "Party" Letter
    ------Bold added by me-----

Dear Parents,

The Holiday Party for Mrs. AM Kindergarten class is Friday, December 19, 2008 at 10:45 a.m. If you wish to bring a treat bag for your child to pass out, please remember only non-food items are allowed (no candy, no cookies or etc) per the school district. Also per the school district, the parents are to provide a snack for their child only.

The PTA is providing the children with pizza and water for the party. We will be making a craft and playing games. The following are a list of items that we will need donated for the party. Please contact me if you are able to donate any of these items ( @comcast.net).

Holiday paper plates
    Prizes
    Photographers
    Game ideas

There are xx children in the class. Also, if you are planning to attend the Holiday Party, please email me so we can add your name to the parent list. If you are unable to attend, but would still like to donate supplies that would also be appreciated. Please keep in mind that school policy prohibits siblings from attending. If you plan to attend, please park in the stadium or high school parking lot and sign in at the cafeteria to receive your visitor's badge.

Please feel free to email any craft or game ideas you have for the party.

Thank you for all that you do to make the class parties successful!

Sincerely,

(xxx)-xxx-xxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy your "party" kids! It doesn't get any better than this. Hey, can I get some bread with that water? I bet some would rather have that than the school provided pizza. Party on, kids!!!

They did the same thing for the Halloween party. The same exact teachers and staff then went home to hand out Halloween candy. Go figure.

These parties happen a few times during the year. Do they really have to be so restricted?

-sfcom

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    My kids' school also prohibits parents to take pictures to protect privacy...

When I was a kid, the parents provided plates of food: sandwiches, brownies, cookies, candy, cakes.. there was Christmas music, and we participated in games (or crafty things supplied by the art classroom). It was really fun.

There was also no time management... the party started when the teachers were ready.

Being a kid was fun back then

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom

These parties happen a few times during the year. Do they really have to be so restricted?

-sfcom
    Unfortunately, those really cool, organizations like the ACLU and, of course, attorneys have caused those restrictions. We used to have Christmas parties all the time, as I'm sure, most people reading here did.

When I was a teacher (Social Studies/Geography) I used to present a unit about "Christmas Around the World." We would research a variety of celebrations, make a bulletin board display about them and even work aspects of those celebrations into our "Christmas" party. Talk about teachable moments, and expanding the recognition of diversity among our youth - couldn't get much better than that. But, alas, those "who know better" say we can't do that any longer. Such a shame.

But, believe me, it isn't the teachers who are doing away with our traditional holidays.

This year, teachers in our city were told by one of the uppity-ups from Central Office at a city-wide meeting that Halloween was a no-no. For as long as anyone around here can remember, Halloween was a time of year when all the elementary schools would have a neighborhood Halloween parade. But...no more.

Ah, so now it's up to the parents to teach about our traditional holidays. Some parents do and some, unfortunately, do not.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

peanuts..... that what started all the food restrictions, then the parents of children with other food allergies spoke up, then the parents who didn't like sugar...toss in a few lawsuits and it went downhill from there. (someone could have touched a peanut... ban all outside food..)

The holidays went the same way...even what many people think of as generic holidays started as some sort of religious event, giving the off center parents the leverage to kill off halloween for everyone.

the scool districts are so afraid of being sued that they just cave in.. unless they get some backbone all classrooms will be grey with nothing on the walls

You know what? I don't have any kids, but I think that is so sad. I used to live for those party days.

What? We can't celebrate Christmas because it is a specific religious holiday, so now we can't celebrate Halloween because it's Pagen??? Geez.

Now for a little side note.....when exactly did everyone become allergic to peanuts? I don't EVER remember hearing about that until maybe 5-8 years ago at least. And I mean NEVER, EVER, EVER. Now suddenly everything has to do with peanut and food allergies. Did everyone just suddenly notice, or what?

Sheri

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sorry guys but you've all missed the point. The reason school districts have become so diligent about not allowing children to bring food to share at school is because some children have life-threatening food allergies. Children have become seriously ill and even died from exposure to some of the worst food allergens like nuts and peanuts. Some people are so severely allergic to peanuts that they can go into anaphylactic shock just from smelling peanuts. The schools are saving children's lives and protecting themselves from lawsuits.

http://www.foodallergy.org/guidelines.html

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    when exactly did everyone become allergic to peanuts? I don't EVER remember hearing about that until maybe 5-8 years ago at least. And I mean NEVER, EVER, EVER. Now suddenly everything has to do with peanut and food allergies. Did everyone just suddenly notice, or what?

Sheri
    I totally agree that peanuts allergy thing suddenly become "popular" several years go. The funny thing is this peanuts allergy thing is not that common in Japan (yet).

Again...I know I sound rude here....but I went to public schools K-12 and then went to college and was in a sorority for 4 years where we held all kinds of events/rush parties, etc.

Never.....not once....was it ever mentioned that we had to be careful because someone in my class or someone that "might" be attending "might" have an allergy. Not once did I witness a medical situation where someone was affected by such a thing.

It just seems odd to me that now it is such a big thing.

Medically speaking can someone explain how something like that would suddenly become so prominent in a society?

Sheri

Sheri, there are several hypotheses as to why the frequency of peanut allergies has increased and why the incidence of allergies in general has increased in adults and children alike. My own allergist believed it was due to the increased consumption of artificial ingredients in foods (preservatives, colorings, etc.) which can negatively impact immune system health, but there are other hypotheses. It very well might be a combination of all these things. Check it out.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rgies+children

I've been in anaphylactic shock as an adult. I can't imagine how terrified parents of children with life-threatening food allergies must be when they send their kids to school or birthday parties, not knowing whether their child might be exposed to a food that could kill them. The school where my husband used to work was scrupulous about making sure that products containing peanuts weren't served in the cafeteria or provided in vending machines on campus.

I'm not thumbing my nose at anaphylactic shock. I know that is a SERIOUS deal as I have seen someone have to deal with a bee sting by giving themselves one of those crazy shots in the thigh. Very scary.

Your explanation makes some sense, just still seems odd to me. But, thanks for taking the time to explain.

Sheri

I don't think the point was missed at all. I think the parents are probably all smart enough to follow directions if a list of the "bad" ingredients was sent home. Only allow pre-packaged products not made in a facility that also processes peanuts then. There are plenty of those available to choose from.

My girl has severe dog allergies and has been to the hospital a couple of times (when we were still trying to figure out what she had the allergy to.) Does that mean that we should ask the others in her class not to play with their dogs in the morning before they come to school?

Really, you gotta draw the line somewhere. Should Wal-mart have to install special peanut holding areas like they have for tobacco? Some people are allergic to chocolate, but they seem to have plenty of candy stocked near the checkouts. Pretty soon everything will be behind a locked panel and an employee will have to get it for you.

Back to the school party issue, I really just can't understand why it can't be accomplished with the pre-packaged items. Seems easy enough to me.

-sfcom

You might be willing to gamble your child's life on the ability of a group of parents to read and follow "simple" instructions but let me tell you, most adults, intelligent well-educated ones to boot, have no idea how to read and understand the list of ingredients on many food products.

My allergist had a patient who died in a restaurant. She asked the waiter to check with the cook if peanuts were in the dish she ordered. Well they weren't but the pan the dish was cooked in had at one point contained peanut oil. It only took her five minutes to die, and that was after self-administering her Epipen.

I really am appalled at how outraged some of you are that a party is being "ruined" because some kid might die. The lack of perspective is nothing short of astonishing to me.

Unfortunately, I'm the room parent coordinator for our school and we send home letters almost just like this. I get so many complaints from parents about 1) the food issue, and 2) the fact that we can't call it a Christmas party. It's a bit of a shock at first for new parents to the school--especially those of us who came from private preschools that had very few rules.

Sadly, what is even more shocking is the number of parents who don't even bother to read the letter, can't be bothered to respond to the letter, and don't care enough to participate at all in the planning or the party. I know everyone is busy, but at our school we get about 10-15% participation from the parents total. It's frustrating and make the whole darn class party planning thing a big pain in the #%@.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I really am appalled at how outraged some of you are that a party is being "ruined" because some kid might die
    I don't even know where to begin with that comment, personally I'm insulted.

I think you missed the point of the discussion.. the party letter was overly structured & unfun.. no siblings, precision timing, and completely regimented. No one is suggesting allergies should be ignored.

And I know what I'm talking about here too, I had a very severe milk & tomato allergies when I was a kid, and wasn't allowed to drink milk. Nor eat party pizza. They didn't stop the milk program or stop ordering pizza. I think today's controls are perfectly acceptable - but it has nothing to do with this party letter.

No one would EVER make light of a child, or anyone else, dying.

Please don't infer that anyone here wishes for anyone to die. That couldn't be further from the truth. You know that.

I don't think anyone here would "gamble their child's life" either. That is really over-simplifying the scenario. I sent my kid out trick or treating this year with my wife and son while I stayed home and handed out candy. When she got back, there must have been 10 packs of peanut butter cups in there and also a few packages of Lance and other crackers...some peanut butter. The people in my neighborhood didn't want anyone to die, I'm sure...but it is just how it goes. Until they stop selling peanut butter and peanut facility processed items, then people will continue to give them out for Halloween. You simply cannot control everything for your child, regardless of the potential hazards to their health.

I originally posted this thread because I had just got done reading an email from my child's teacher and was thinking of how different things are today vs when I was a kid in school just xx years ago. No ill intent was meant toward anyone here or any of their kids. I realize all of us have different situations and I would never ask that a child be put in harm's way. I'm sure my child and others around the country will have a good time this holiday season, regardless of what treats they have for their parties. But, you surely realize that some parents were looking forward to making treats for their kids, just like their parents did when they were little. I guess now that focus goes from making food treats to making fun games or something else.

I am not mad or upset about anything. On my scale of important things in life, it really is a 1/10 that they can't have sweet treats for their holiday party. It doesn't mean that I shouldn't post 1/10 things. Sometimes people like talking socially about things like this. Just like I imagine "Beachy" Bill knows how much I admire the long list of what teachers do for our children, I would hope that Rhea (and others) would know that I don't wish to have anything bad happen to anyone's child.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Also per the school district, the parents are to provide a snack for their child only.
    That could inspire jealousy

I distinctly remember one kid having a cupcake party in Kindergarten. The Mother of the birthday boy bought enough Hostess chocolate cupcakes to provide one per student.

I was stupid enough to exclaim: "Yay! My Mother never lets me eat those"
    Since I was stupid enough to say that loud enough for the teachers to hear, the teachers wouldn't let me have one because they thought the prohibition was due to health factors. I had to watch the others eat the cupcakes.

The actual reason why my Mother never let me ate those is because she thought Hostess cupcakes had too many crumbs and were too messy

I learned a lesson that day
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

No Rhia7 your mom just kept all the cupcakes for herself. Trust me, I am a mother and I know these things.

This is why I am home schooling my daughter, we will have kick butt holiday parties, with Christmas singing, cookies with peanuts, no restrictions, just a great time. I have signed her up at Zion Academy
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    This is why I am home schooling my daughter, we will have kick butt holiday parties, with Christmas singing, cookies with peanuts, no restrictions, just a great time. I have signed her up at Zion Academy
    Who else will be at the party?

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to home schooling. One disadvantage is that the child is not introduced to many other kids ... it's good to have kids play with a variety of other kids -- too bad the school parties are limited to pizza/bread and water
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Other children who are also home schooled. Some misconceptions of home schooling are things like no socializing, did you know that home schooled kids can actually go to school for subjects like PE, and can do more social activities than those kids who are in school. Like my daughter is 2 she won't start home schooling until next year, she is in dance class, gymnastics and goes to little kids social gatherings. She has a busier schedule than I do. When she gets older I know it will get alot harder
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

The problem is that society (and business) is being forced to bare the responsibility of protecting the individual rather than the individual being responsible for protecting themselves...

X

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    The problem is that society (and business) is being forced to bare the responsibility of protecting the individual rather than the individual being responsible for protecting themselves...
    Exactly. It's like the tail wagging the dog.

When my younger daughter was in preschool, the staff tried to ban peanut butter sandwiches or any other food product containing peanuts in the kid's home packed lunches because one kid was allergic. I came unglued. Absolutely no one wanted to put this child in harm's way but c'mon - To enforce rules on all the kids to protect one is idiotic. If my kid was that allergic to something, I'd never expect the entire freaking school to compromise for her. It's irrational.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I'd ask where do you draw the line re food allergies, but there is no line - pick a food item, and someone is allergic to it.

My daughter has a deadly food allergy - similar to the effects of the peanut allergy - to a food that is never thought of as being an allergen, that is present in untold food items, many of which do not label it as being present. A trace amount can make, and has made, her deathly ill: .

Should be a banned substance? I think not. But she is vigilant about avoiding any possibility of ingesting it, not those around her.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread