Removing TopSellers from homepage ??
    I'm working with the new AE search engine and configuring pages for a website. So for, so good, except for my homepage.

I've created a default.html template from my original homepage and then inserted {results} to display search content. I uploaded this template and it's working fine. By default it displays the topsellers for books .

I then inserted a script to show a grid of top five bestsellers for the product that I'm interested in promoting, in this case Country Music (16). That also works fine.
    /cgi-bin/ae.pl?script&type=bestsellers&mode=16&grid=c:5,r:1,n,m"

I've created links that will take visitors to subgroups, like Bluegrass (63690)
    The page links for both bestseller and browse modes generated pages look fine.
    /cgi-bin/ae.pl?type=browse&mode=63690
    /cgi-bin/ae.pl?type=best&mode=63690

My problem is that I can't get rid of the listing of bestseller books from the homepage. I thought that inserting a search script would take priority over that default list appearing, but it keeps showing up.

I' feel like I'm missing something obvious, but can't yet put my finger on it. I've looked in ae-ini.txt, but cannot identify what to turn "off" or "on."

What do I prevent the TopSellers from appearing on my homepage?

Thanks,
    FRANK

Quote Originally Posted by Baertracks

My problem is that I can't get rid of the listing of bestseller books from the homepage. I thought that inserting a search script would take priority over that default list appearing, but it keeps showing up.
    AE scripts do not overwrite or take priority over each other, so you can have as many search scripts on a page as you want. If the listing you do not want on each page is on a template then you must remove it from there.

Jill

Quote Originally Posted by Babrees
    If the listing you do not want on each page is on a template then you must remove it from there.
    Jill
    Thanks for the reply.

Maybe my problem is not understanding the {results} command, and using it correctly. When I insert {results} into the HMTL code on my homepage it automatically brings up "TopSellers" by defaut. That's understandable.

However, when I insert another search script (or link) on the same page I expected it to "replace" the default TopSellers. Instead, both the results from the second script and the Topsellers are showing up. This is only a problem for the homepage, not for subsequent pages.

If I delete {results} to keep TopSellers from appearing, then the other search results also disappear.

I know this sounds confusing (and I am certainly confused myself). I think that I missed something along the way in setting up my home page, but I can't (yet) put my finger on it. You can see my problem if you visit countrycreativity.com.

FRANK
    BeMoreCreative.com

I'm having the same issue. I'm customizing the individual store template files inside the store directory. What template would I remove top sellers from?

Sorry my mistake I misunderstood you - I thought that you had inserted a script into the template as well as the {results}

To remove the top sellers grid from the top of browse node index pages, edit ae-ini.txt:

change:
    browse.grid xgridB

to:
    browse.grid ""

By setting browse.grid to empty (two double-quotation marks), the top sellers above the browse node indexes will not be shown.

If you are using AE as your home page, then you may want to set the search.default so that some search results other than books are shown. For example to have your home page default to Comedy DVD's, you would use:

search.default "type=browse&mode=163357"

Browse node 163357 is Comedy DVD's (see FAQ: "How do I determine the browse number to use in type=browse&mode=NUMBER ?").

If you are using store templates, you can edit the store files and edit/remove the top sellers <script> tag. For example, edit ae-template/store/dvd.html (the DVD template) and search for the word best and you'll see a <table> with a <script> tag inside it; remove the entire table if you don't wany any top sellers, or edit the <script> tag's SRC attribute (it references AE and has AE parameters, such as type=best&mode=dvd. If you want all DVD pages to show top selling Comedy DVD's, you would edit the <script>'s SRC and change mode=dvd to mode=163357 (163357 is Comedy DVD's as indicated above).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Quote Originally Posted by cusimano
    To remove the top sellers grid from the top of browse node index pages, edit ae-ini.txt:
    change:
    browse.grid xgridB
    to:
    browse.grid ""
    By setting browse.grid to empty (two double-quotation marks), the top sellers above the browse node indexes will not be shown.
    David;

Thanks, but... that was actually one of the first things that I tried. It didn't seem to do the trick. I'll give it another try.

FRANK
    Baertracks

Try it. If it doesn't work, then use the Support Form ( http://www.c3scripts.com/support ) and tell me a URL so I can see what your website is showing. Thanks.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread