To BANS or not to BANS
    I'm looking into branching out beyond my single site that is currently doing decently, but I'm realizing it won't last forever.

That said, I'm debating whether to take the plunge and go with BANS versus Wordpress+PHPBay or Wordpress + Editor Kit.

Are there any risks to going the BANS route versus the others? Which would you consider the quickest way to put out decent quality, optimized sites?

Also, if I do opt to take the BANS plunge, what should I know before I make my first site?

Anybody here use BANS? If so, do you make a decent amount of money off of it? My current site using the EK pulls on average $500/mo right now...

Any advice you guys can lend would be much appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi,

I have a couple of BANS sites up, one of them earns $xxx/month and the other almost nothing. It could be the subjects chosen, but they both seemed popular enough to me. More likely, I spent a bunch more time on the earlier one than the second.

BANS is pretty simple to work with, step by step instructions are available. Some have said that it leaves an easily detectable footprint. While this may be true, you have wide latitude in modifying the templates and there are even custom templates available if you look around. I haven't found this to be a problem.

You will need to make sure that you don't just put up the site and forget about it. Adding new content regularly and getting as many inbound links as possible is no less important here than with any other site.

All in all, I've been happy with it and have no problem recommending it. If you decide to buy, and would like a link, feel free to pm me

Good luck,

Ken

BANS and WP are simply the container and won't produce sales in and of themselves. It's content that will determine the success of your site, not the container.

X

Thanks for the input guys.

Ed, I realize this, I was more just asking about the upside and downside of the different options out there for displaying eBay listings.

Another one my designer is considering using is: http://www.easynichestore.com/index.php

I had concerns about the footprint Wyvern but I haven't heard anything about google killing things based on the footprint or that Google has a dislike of eBay affiliate sites. Have any of you guys heard rumblings of that?

BANS isn't that expensive when you give yourself the "clickbank affiliate discount" so I might just take the plunge...

Ed, what is your primary tool that you use for outputting listings?

MS Visual Interdev which is an application development environment. It's not geared for the beginner. I've used it for ten years.
    Other programs such as BANs and WP are great for less technically inclined folks to get up and online quickly with a nice looking site. Just make sure it doesn't end up looking too cookie cutter. But then, great content covers a multitude of sins in presentation. Look at Craigslist. For that matter, look at ABW. This is the V-Bulletin default format, yet... you know the rest...

X

I have a number of sites using WP and the phpBayPro plugin. I absolutely love it.

But as Ed says, it's really about CONTENT -- and most of my sites need some real work on content.

I get a trickle each month from those eBay sites. I would highly recommend phpBay Pro. They have a good support forum. The creator of the plugin, Wade, is the most responsive support person I've seen anywhere.

I've not used BANS, but I see numerous people on the phpbay Pro forum who claim they would never go back to BANS after using it and phpbaypro.

Personally I've not used BANS, but I really would like to spend more time on my phpBay Pro sites because I'm convinced they would do much better if I put more time into the content.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I have a number of sites using WP and the phpBayPro plugin. I absolutely love it.
    Interesting. In terms of good WP layouts are there any nice free ones that are designed specifically with PHPBay in mind? While I have the technical ability to design a site, I don't really have the time/patience to do so for the number of sites I'd like to build (reusable templates aside). My goal would be to focus on content and quantity.

That's one reason I was leaning more heavily towards BANS...it comes with a ton of pre-configed site layouts versus just the ability to drop listing into an existing layout.

And if you don't mind my asking...the trickle you are getting from your sites...is it in the hundreds/month range? More? Less? Its ok if you don't want to answer that, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Haltingpoint
    Interesting. In terms of good WP layouts are there any nice free ones that are designed specifically with PHPBay in mind? While I have the technical ability to design a site, I don't really have the time/patience to do so for the number of sites I'd like to build (reusable templates aside). My goal would be to focus on content and quantity.

That's one reason I was leaning more heavily towards BANS...it comes with a ton of pre-configed site layouts versus just the ability to drop listing into an existing layout.

And if you don't mind my asking...the trickle you are getting from your sites...is it in the hundreds/month range? More? Less? Its ok if you don't want to answer that, just curious.
    I'm sure someone out there probably has put one together. I simply have a 3-column one that's fairly "plain" looking and I modify the CSS sheet to change colors, column widths, or whatever. I'm pretty much a klutz at CSS and know only a bit about hacking around with WP, but I do pretty well.

There are a couple of WP themes several people doing phpbayPro that I know of tend to favor. The one I use and adapt to a lot of sites as called "Clean Copy Full 3 Column" (once in awhile I use the 2-column version of the same theme) by Cory Miller. The one several other folks I know use and adapt into MANY different looking sites is "Limau Orange," from Bob Oh Bob. (I'm sure you can find both of 'em Googling.)

Oh, yeah, the "trickle" -- nah, it's not in the hundreds yet by a long shot. But I have high hopes and plans to do MUCH more with my sites.
    Last edited by writerguy; November 23rd, 2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added Last Paragraph
    Generate more fake news.

The "container" can be just as important as the content itself. It's best to use scripts that are decent and give you a solid foundation or you will be wasting your time and working too hard.

I would skip on BANS. There are many scripts that do just as good as BANS and cost nothing or lower in cost.

There are multiple reasons for this opinion, and yes I own a BANS script.

Google hates BANS sites. So good ole SEO is gonna suck if you depend on BANS output as your main content.

Lately, it's nearly impossible to be approved for EPN using just plain BANS. Many have stated they need to built other sites first and use those for approval and then use BANS.

Finally, support. BANS support sucks. You rarely will get a response from support itself via e-mail, and the forums you won't get an "official" response and have to depend on the community for support.

To me if you pay $97 for a script it needs to include decent support.

The "container" can be just as important as the content itself.
    No way. Bloated code could hurt you sure, but there's no way it's even remotely close to being as important as content.

Google hates BANS sites.
    Again... no way. Google loves original content. Most people buy BANS because it's an easy way out. They set it up, add a few keywords and walk away, they add no content. So Google doesn't like it. A much more accurate statement would be "Bans sites usually don't rank well", but it's only because most owners aren't webmasters.... that's why they bought BANS in the first place. If you read the very next sentence after what I quoted from you, you even said the same thing. So good ole SEO is gonna suck if you depend on BANS output as your main content.

Lately, it's nearly impossible to be approved for EPN using just plain BANS.
    Right, for the same exact reason I stated above. ePN looks at a basic no content BANS site that a non-webmaster has thrown together, sees that it really doesn't have any end user value and they click the reject button.

BANS does exactly what it supposed to do, display eBay listings. If you treat it as a such, and not an instant website in a box, it's perfectly fine.

Exactly! Well stated...

X

Where did I say BLOATED code? I don't remember stating that you needed to find the worst bloated script out there.

No, I said that the script you build your site on, whether it's Wordpress or some other CMS, is just as important to site building as the content itself. If you can't create and get your original content out there with a good script WHAT good is it? Site creation is more than just original content.

Original content just slapped onto BANS isn't going to do well with Google, and yes, Google hates BANS. BANS forum is filled with people complaining their site was penalized by google.

BANS is promoted and touted by many of it's low earning fans to be a complete CMS and website in a box. In truth, it's nothing but a glorified RSS feeder that allowed for some HTML pages.

If you say so.

It's just my opinion on the matter and I think that is still allowed here.

Though I guess I am not wearing my special pin...

Here's a great blog post about BANS....

http://www.jtpratt.com/why-bans-nich...d-from-google/

The key statement in the whole thing is...

If you remember only ONE thing from this post - let it be this…if you removed all the auctions from your BANS store would there be anything left of value at all?

BANS is just a store script, you still need to build a reason for visitors to come. Create some value around your store and things will be just fine using BANS. Google will not ignore you if you provide value.

Best,

Justin
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by MeeMaw
    I would skip on BANS. There are many scripts that do just as good as BANS and cost nothing or lower in cost.

There are multiple reasons for this opinion, and yes I own a BANS script.
    Care to share what you personally use instead of BANS? I've seen McJiffy mentioned as a free option but no clue how decent it is compared to things like the WPBay or anything of the sort.

I've got to put in my 2 cents for phpBay Pro. I use the API on a number of sites and love it. And Gary the Writer guy is spot on, Wade provides fantastic support and his forum has a very helpful and supportive community.

That being said be ready to write a lot of original content. I've learned this the hard way. I have 4 sites, 3 of which have a lot of content (how to's, installation guides, historical information, etc). The other 1 is probably 95% affiliate links and it got banned by Google. I'm working hard on getting that one up to snuff to hopefully get into their good graces. Google likes the other 3 and as a matter of fact one ranks on page one for a lot of good keywords. Again content is king. One other tip, keep your ratio of content to eBay listings reasonable. Wade advises around 20 listings per page to keep from looking spammy.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread