W3C validation and off-page SEO
    Can the errors and warnings in W3C validation impede off-page SEO efforts?
    For example I will do some link building for my web-page that has hundreds of warnings and few errors. Does that mean my link building campaign is not going to be productive?

15 years and counting
    http://validator.w3.org/
    for Google.com 62 Errors, 8 warning(s)
    for Yahoo.com 34 Errors, 8 warning(s)

What do you think? They are not going to penalize others if they can't validate their own site. I don't care myself, as long as my sites look good and are functional in the main browsers.

i try to fix the errors where possible, but am less concerned about the warnings. look at the errors how many are just in link urls? fix what you can is my gutt instinct ;-)

Google does not penalize sites for technical or html errors, but it can hinder the bots crawling the pages. The biggest hindrance to SEO is building pages with mixed rules such as a doctype that doesn't match the coding or a missing or incomplete doctype declaration. Mixing in XHTML only elements on a page with HTML 3.0 coding can prevent a spider from completely crawling the page, sometimes they never get past the <head>.
    Validation errors are important to correct, warnings are telling you that it is not right but most bots can get through it.
    The best part about coding correctly is that your pages look the same on all (modern) browsers.

Excellent response, 2busy. I was just reading up on this this weekend, and had made notes that match your response almost letter for letter.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

thanks, a lot a lot! What I also heard is :W3C validation almost not important at all. It doesn't take into account any on-page SEO at all. W3C validation shows the same number of errors like I have for 99,999% of sites in the internet.

W3C validation almost not important at all. It doesn't take into account any on-page SEO at all.
    W3C validates structure and ignores content. Google validates content but can be hampered by structure. Errors only matter if they are preventing bots from reading your content or preventing visitors from seeing it. There are many articles that help you learn what matters, especially at various google sites.
    For Google's concern a page full of junk phrases works very well although visitors would run away if they saw it.

I've learned to clean the code as I create blog pages and posts. This way it makes it easy to keep it clean.

It can also be confusing if you get errors on a particular page or post, then eventually realize the bad code is in the sidebar pages instead of the actual page.

Anyway, keep it clean as you go and it's a cinch to be error free.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread