Blackholing "Black Friday" Emails
    Okay, I know it's a big time for e-commerce retailers, but I'm being absolutely flooded with emails referring to "Black Friday" specials, deals, etc. from my merchants. Most are written for affiliates, but some are just the regular emails sent to customers.

Since I don't run a "deals and specials" web site, and since I'm not doing anything special this season, I have decided that I simply need to "blackhole" all emails that refer to "Black Friday" in the subject line.

I've just set up a filter in my email program, and from now on I simply won't see any more of these emails that refer to "Black Friday" in the subject line.

http and a telephoto
    Mark, merchants can't please everyone and Black Friday deals are huge. Even if you don't do specials and deals, that is what the consumers are looking for, especially this year. Some businesses live or die on the next 4 weeks sales.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I'm open holing them.

I was just about to come here and post that merchants should STOP sending me survey requests 3 days before Black Friday!! I don't have time for your lame survey during the BUSIEST WEEK OF THE YEAR!!

Also, merchants, STOP sending me emails that tell me about a great offer you have, but don't include any links to the deal! Instead you tell me that I (and all of your other affiliates) can log into the network and grab the links.

Do me a favor, YOU grab the link and put it into the email so that your 1000+ affiliates don't have to do it..

P.s I didn't log into the network to grab the link, I just skipped your hot deal..

ABW Ambassador
    How can you not include any Black Friday deals? Almost every merchant has something going on this week.

Almost every type of website can benefit from the extra traffic. Why would you ignore that?

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, putting links in the with the emails is handy. Also, one of my biggest pet peeves, expiration dates. It's annoying when they send out a deal or coupon with no expiration date. Get it together. As far as the Black Friday stuff, that's what merchants are supposed to be doing. Keep affiliates or consumers aware of any deals, Black Friday promotions etc.

Julian wrote: > "How can you not include any Black Friday deals? Almost every merchant has something going on this week. // Almost every type of website can benefit from the extra traffic. Why would you ignore that?" <

Extra traffic doesn't come to my sites because I post Black Friday deals -- it comes because more people are searching for the stuff I write about. They find my content based on the words that the search engines indexed several months ago. I have no way to manage thousands of Black-Friday special deals and integrate that into my niche-and-product-specific web pages (other than through datafeeds).

Yes, many affiliates appreciate many of these merchant emails (especially if they include accurate and complete linking information) -- but even affiliates who actively seek out and post "Black Friday" specials on their sites will probably find it impossible to manage offers sent by hundreds of emails from merchants in the last few days before these one-day specials occur. (The better solution was offered by merchants several weeks or months ago, for the few merchants who created special widgets or dynamic banners to promote "Black Friday" specials, which affiliates could insert at their leisure instead of waiting for specific deal info in the final days before Black Friday.)

I'm sure that many other affiliates are also ignoring (or perhaps trying but failing to keep up with) the flood of "Black Friday" emails from merchants, so I thought I'd share my perspective and advise merchants that their messages might be "less likely than usual" to be read thoroughly by affiliates.

Finally, I know there have been many complaints about this in past years, but let me renew them: why do we keep calling this "Black Friday" when it's actually more like "Green Friday" (for sales) or "Peak Traffic Friday" (for in-store visits)?

ABW Ambassador
    It is what it is. For those affiliates that post those deals, they like those emails. There is a lot of them and I've been working all day long with them. For those that don't like them, hit the delete button. Just takes a second. What's the alternative? They either send them or they don't. So they're going to send them.

"Finally, I know there have been many complaints about this in past years, but let me renew them: why do we keep calling this "Black Friday" when it's actually more like "Green Friday" (for sales) or "Peak Traffic Friday" (for in-store visits)?"

That's not going to change. That term for shopping on that day goes as far back as the 1960's. And not sure what you mean by many complaints. Never noticed those complaints. I've seen some attempts and some merchants using different terms but none of that stuck.

I'll share my wee bit of knowledge..

It was called "Black Friday" because as the busiest shopping day of the year, sales would put stores "in the black", which meant they were "out of the red".

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, put stores Back In Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

Some good info on it's history at the good ole wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yep, put stores Back In Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

Some good info on it's history at the good ole wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)
    Thank you!! I guess I never stopped to think about it. I'll definitely be sharing this with my members as a little bit of trivia this week.

And I agree with the others that if you are going to send a Black Friday email and actually want someone to use it, you should include the link in it because we are getting hundreds of these emails a day this week.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

I thought Black Friday was for brick and mortar shops and that Cyber Monday was more for e-commerce. I don't believe we are offering any deals for black Monday although I will suggest it.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by FDC
    I thought Black Friday was for brick and mortar shops and that Cyber Monday was more for e-commerce. I don't believe we are offering any deals for black Monday although I will suggest it.
    Mainstream media coined both terms, and it is actually Cyber Tuesday in some online businesses that I have been involved in. Mainstream media likes to label things, when the truth is, starting Friday people are going to SHOP. They don't care about the economy, they don't care if it's online or offline, but they start shopping.

Smart people take advantage of that.

Mark, I sent an email today that you will blackhole. And that's just fine because other folks won't and they are the affiliates I am targeting. The affiliates that *want* extra deals to promote this week. Whether we like it or not, *shoppers* LIKE short, special sales.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    If you have any content from datafeeds, then you have pages promoting merchants that have Black Friday deals. Almost every merchant that offers a datafeed must offer specials and deals.

It makes no sense to have datafeed pages without including the current deals from the merchants selling those items. Your visitors are just going to go to your site, find no deals and then find a different site that has the deals that they are looking for.

Mark, I just don't get your business decision. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I'll share my wee bit of knowledge..

It was called "Black Friday" because as the busiest shopping day of the year, sales would put stores "in the black", which meant they were "out of the red".
    This is true, but I would say that if you have to rely on the day after thanksgiving to turn a profit for the year then your business model is

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    This is true, but I would say that if you have to rely on the day after thanksgiving to turn a profit for the year then your business model is
    Not really, some retail businesses rely on gift giving season, or specialize in gift products and this is their only "season". There are retail businesses that literally could close up shop from January to October (some do) and just exist off of Holiday shopping sales. Look at the Halloween retail business. Most stores and online stores just recently started running year round. They make 90% of their yearly income in 4 weeks.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Not really, some retail businesses rely on gift giving season, or specialize in gift products and this is their only "season". There are retail businesses that literally could close up shop from January to October (some do) and just exist off of Holiday shopping sales. Look at the Halloween retail business. Most stores and online stores just recently started running year round. They make 90% of their yearly income in 4 weeks.
    you are correct, there are holiday specialty stores. I was referring more to general merchandise stores like Sears or Kmart that rely on the holidays to get over the hump. Walmart turns a profit every month, which is why they are kicking their competitors butt.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread