Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    quitsmoking.com Leaks
    I just want to inform you about dishonesty of ShareASale's Excluse Merchant "quitsmoking.com"
    All webmasters that have joined to "quitsmoking.com" affiliate program, work only on "quitsmoking.com" benefit.
    Let imagine that customer who searching for "nicotine gum" for example, click on "quitsmoking.com" link from my website. The customer would be redirected to "quitsmoking.com", of course. Customer now has cookie which tell that he/she comes from my website...
    Than the customer clicks on the link "nicotine gum" (left hand menu on quitsomking.com) in order to buy it from "quitsmoking.com", but instead of "nicotine gum" page, the customer would be redirected again! Moreover, the customer would be redirected to website "nicotinegum.com". So, where is my coockies now? There is more...
    If the customer want to buy "nicotine gum" there is a link which would redirect him/her again, but to Drugstore.com (affiliate link from LinkShare). So, Sharesale's Excluse Merchant "quitsmoking.com" has joined to affiliate program of Drugstor.com on LinkShare, and they earn money from all my visitors!
    As their affiliate, I am sending them my visitors, but they redirect visitors to other affiliate program... I do not want to use any hard word, but it is nothing more than CHEAT!
    The same trick you can find under their links: Nicotine Lozenges, and Nicotine Patches.

ABW Ambassador
    Another reason why you should always check your merchants out before promoting them

These are called "Leaks" and you need to research a site before you sign up. There is more than one site on SAS that are affiliates of another network, or that lead your visitors to other sites. The network puts up offers and it's up to us to pick through them very carefully.
    It helps a lot when you find one to post about it so others don't make the same mistake, but there isn't much that can/will be done about the problem. Sorry to hear about your experience, it is a rude awakening.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    That might explain how he earns a six-figure income.

http://www.internet-business-success...FredKelley.htm

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    zikam,

I'll check it out - thanks.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Let me point out this page that gives details about our affiliate program:

http://www.quitsmoking.com/affiliate...tedetails2.htm

Look under the heading "Important Program Information"

The very first bullet specifically states that we use an affiliate program for nicotine gum and nicotine patches: "nicotine gum and nicotine patches are sold through other sites and are not commissionable."

Why?

Because these products are available in almost every conceivable store, from convenience stores to grocery stores. The bottom line is that its not our focus. And the affiliate commissions we receive from those products is usually less than $100/month. Yes, you read that right, less than $100/month!

Our focus is on products that are not readily available in stores. That's where you will earn commissions.

Fred Kelley
    QuitSmoking.com

Since the commission from the leaks is "less than $100/month", how about dropping them in favor of your affiliates?

X

http and a telephoto
    Fred, so why are those links even ON your site? You can make a heck of a lot more than that $100 a month in increased revenue from affiliates that *will not* promote your site now.

You are sending *your* traffic away from your site, why would you do that?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ed,

That's not a bad idea. Those product categories have really been there because site visitors have asked for them in the past.

If there was a simple way that I could somehow encode the outbound links with our affiliates' affiliate links, I'd be happy to do that.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

Fred Kelley
    QuitSmoking.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuitSmoking.com
    Ed,

That's not a bad idea. Those product categories have really been there because site visitors have asked for them in the past.

If there was a simple way that I could somehow encode the outbound links with our affiliates' affiliate links, I'd be happy to do that.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

Fred Kelley
    QuitSmoking.com
    That would probably violate the TOS of the merchants. And the network.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Since you're a merchant, how about finding a distributor or wholesale source for those products and sell them yourselves?

X

Ed,

The last time I checked into selling these products directly, the minimum purchase required was way out of proportion to what I believe we can sell in a reasonable period of time.

And again, I prefer to sell products that are not (or rarely) sold in stores. Competing against Walmart or Costco or INSERT YOUR LOCAL GROCERY STORE HERE on patches, gum and lozenges is a losing battle.

Fred Kelley
    QuitSmoking.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuitSmoking.com
    Competing against Walmart or Costco or INSERT YOUR LOCAL GROCERY STORE HERE on patches, gum and lozenges is a losing battle.
    Then you should eliminate those products and use the space - and energy - to promote your own products (maybe something new).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Yes, the quantities might be an issue, but If you're making a hundred bucks in commissions, you're probably driving 2k to 5k (or more?) in sales. As a merchant your margins would be much higher than as an affiliate and you'd likely make 1k to 2.5k at those quantities. To my thinking, these items are a convenience or impulse sale item that would enhance the sale of your core products. If people are already asking, despite the fact that they're available locally, that many more will probably buy along with your other products, particularly if you promote them. Otherwise, if that's not worth it, I'd say that it's all the more not worth alienating your affiliates.

X

Outsourced Program Manager
    from an AM;

Drop all leaks and your affiliates will be happy which will make you more money.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

quitsmoking.... i have used and i am using your products. do you know why it is homeopathic and it works having the other remedies only shows that you lack confidence in your products, remove them and promote your products which are kick azz products, if I wanted nicorette or commit i would seriously go to rite aid and bought them. I also use the ez quit as a habit breaker. More people want homeopathic than the nic. replacement therepy.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Fred, I understand the temptation when you see a buyer, but you should decide would you be merchant or affiliate? If you want to be both, it is OK, but than you should make a new website for affiliate purposes only... That would be fair!

But, what I do not understand is ShareASale premiss. How can merchant like this have the title "Premium Merchant"? When I see notification "Premium Merchant" I though that it is double checked merchant whom I can trust, and who certainly is not "Leaks"
    Last edited by zikam; November 27th, 2008 at 03:01 AM.

zikam i understand how you feel being ripped from your commissions is shnitty, but I can see that maybe quitsmoking.com is not trying to be a unscrupulous merchant, in fact I see that they are a newbie with only 3 posts ever and they all started here, give them a moment to read and remove the links and then they have to decide what goes in the space that those others are at. It is not just pull them and poof, the design of the website is a art and when you remove something you have to be just as picky as to what goes as a replacement that can be profitable. you should know that if you change one little tiny thing in a website it can change your income dramatically, I once changed my site because I though it looked cool, it ended up only bringing me .50 so be patient with them but not too patient, i do think they are going to be easy to work with.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Given the TOS that quitsmoking.com pointed out and their candid responses, the title of this thread seems very unfair.

I agree with jrb6915, the title of this thread is unfair. As I see it they were very upfront in the "Important Program Information" section, it was there for everyone to read who cared to read it.

My site had a similar consern, there are products that I'd like to sell or 'try out' but if just gets too expensive to stock these things until sales volumes reach a workable level. For me I had all the affilate links in a "Related Products" block, after about 30 hours of research into an undocumented section of my cart I was able to use the carts affliate cookie flag (not tied to the SAS cookie) to turn that section off and on as needed. As it stands now as long as the affiliate uses the links in SAS (or follows the instuctions I put in the T&C) the affilates leads will never see those leaks in the normal store (though they could search for them or go through a 5 page site map) .

if a mod gives an ok i'll post some sample links (or people can email me) for them.

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by jrb16915
    Given the TOS that quitsmoking.com pointed out and their candid responses, the title of this thread seems very unfair.
    It may be unfair, but it caught my attention. With leaks such as those described, I know I won't even consider this merchant, which will save me considerable time. So, my thanks to the OP.

To QS.com - that hundred bucks a month will eventually cost far more in the loss of serious affiliates. Sorry, but that brings to mind an old adage about being, "Penny wise and Pound foolish."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thread title... that better?

X

Quote Originally Posted by CCBerries
    For me I had all the affilate links in a "Related Products" block, after about 30 hours of research into an undocumented section of my cart I was able to use the carts affliate cookie flag (not tied to the SAS cookie) to turn that section off and on as needed. As it stands now as long as the affiliate uses the links in SAS (or follows the instuctions I put in the T&C) the affilates leads will never see those leaks in the normal store (though they could search for them or go through a 5 page site map) .

Skip
    Skip,
    Interesting solution. Often a merchant can create a flag like this and hide parts of the site based on the cookie. I think CSN just did this with some adsense ads. If you don't mind and without posting a link, what cart are you using? It could be helpful to point out to others who use the same cart or are looking for a new cart.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I'm using a cart called viart (same domain name), it has tons of features but the documentation is way out of date. (an issue they are aware of, they spent too much time adding features and the documentation got behind).

It allows you to run php code in custom blocks so once the correct variable was found it was pretty easy to turn off the block (now I just have to find something to fill the gap). Most customizations don't need this level of coding, even the integration to SAS only took one line of html in the area ment for display to the customer when a payment was sucessful. Both of the changes (and every change I've made so far) are done in areas that don't get wiped out with software upgrades.

The one thing I would not recommend with them is thier hosting, even though it's with rackspace there have been too many outages in the past month. You don't have to get thier hosting, it will run on other systems....
    (thier hosting is down as i write this)
    Last edited by CCBerries; November 27th, 2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: little more info

SAS should be our "trusted" third party. I invite SAS to do something with merchants like this (I have trusted them, but this really rocks the confidence I had in SAS)... I think it is the main theme of this thread. If third party programs tolerate cheats, than they loose their purpose. What is third party program purpose anyway?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast