Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Domain Hosting for Affilates?
    Hello,

I am just getting back into designing websites again and I was wondering what are some of the good domain hosting sites today?

I used to use Netfirms a for my websites back in high school, which was over 5 years ago. I have heard of GoDaddy and a few others.

I am going to make a automotive website that will have some affiliate advertising on it and I just need some good suggestions of what people are using out there and what they like the best for domain hosts as an affiliate.

Thanks a bunch,
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    Hostgator

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    Definitely Hostgator. They have an awesome 24hr support/online chat help and I love using them.

Cool, I just visited Hostgator's site and it looks like they have some great plans!

However, I noticed all of their web hosting plans are listed under "Linux Web Hosting". What does that mean to us who want to buy a domain? Surely you wouldn't have to be using Linux to work with the domains, right? I am going to be using Microsoft Expression to create my website on my Windows XP computer.

Thanks,
    Jason

15 years and counting
    What do you mean by buying a domain and not being able to host on Linux? Both actions are not related. You can buy and administrate your domain names without even hosting them, Linux has nothing to do with that.
    You can host a web site built with Microsoft Expression on a Linux server. You don't need Windows hosting even if you have a Windows XP computer. If you use ASP, it may be different.

Hostgator is a good place to start. I use them for a part of my server space.

BTW - a large majority of the world's Web sites are hosted on Linux machines (or a variety thereof).

You can buy a domain from many sources (Moniker, GoDaddy, Dotster, Enom, etc., etc.). But it is never a good idea to let your host buy it for you. You need to keep totally independent control - in case you ever want to change hosts. Just my 2-cents (and accumulated change since 1987 - I have made ALL the mistakes along the way ).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I will definate 2nd that on keepping them seperate.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

ABW Ambassador
    If you do get a free domain with your hosting, make sure you have full control over the domain.
    Hosting companies are not created equal. Some are great, some are terrible.

Your domain could be your livelihood. Your host is just that, a host

Ok, sorry for my ignorance, but how do you keep your domain separate from your host? I kind of thought they were just done together. I don't remember having to have anything separate like that back when I did websites several years ago on Netfirms. Maybe I did and just don't remember?

Thanks,
    Jason

Register your domain through a domain Registrar - such as Moniker, GoDaddy, etc.

Then when you set up a hosting account - your new host will give you instructions on how to "point" your domain either to their name servers or to your server space.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    When you sign up for hosting, and get a free domain, you should be able to access the control panel for the hosting, and for the domain.
    When I used ipowerweb, they registered the domain through tucows.

So you just log in over at tucows and you have access to your domain. You go through ipowerweb to access your hosting.

You can then transfer your domain to a different registrar if you choose to (after 6 months for new domains)

15 years and counting
    Many companies are specialized in domain names like Godaddy, Register, 000domains, Dotster... It's confusing because some of these companies also offer hosting. Don't fall for free domain registration with a host. Learn how to keep domain names and hosting separate.
    You can start reading here about DNS:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system

ABW Ambassador
    You save a few dollars with those free domain with hosting offers.

It is NOT worth saving those few dollars. Register your domain, and then get your hosting. A good hosting company (like Hostgator) will help you with the set up.

15 years and counting
    I did the mistake a long time ago to host with Earthlink in Atlanta with a free domain offer (After MindSpring sold them their business) . A few years later I had the surprise to discover the domain name was registered in their name. I tried to get it. To negociate with them. No way. The name was not critical for my business so I gave up. I'm not sure they can still do that. It was more than 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    You save a few dollars with those free domain with hosting offers.

It is NOT worth saving those few dollars.
    I registered domains and have hosting with 1 & 1.

I haven't encountered any problems with the domain registrations.

I think some other hosts might offer better hosting with more bells & whistles but overall 1 & 1 has been fine for the price I paid/pay.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I register my domains with GoDaddy and host them at HostGator.

You'll be sorry someday Rhia7 if you ever change host.

I have lost some domain names in the past by letting my host register them.

They registered them in their name - NOT mine - and when I changed host they kept my domain names.

Don't ever let your host register your domain name for you!

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I understand better now the difference between a host and domain.

I will look into it more seriously after I get my site built.

Thanks,
    Jason

There is nothing wrong with registering domains at the same company as your hosting as long as you have the control people mentioned. It is almost better if you can swing it because it makes troubleshooting and customization alot easier. When people host with me I ensure they have complete control over their domains. That domain hostage crap is for the birds.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Hostgator will stomp your site out like a cigarette butt and force a dedicated server down your throat if you start getting steady traffic.

lunarpages and inmotionhosting are solid as a rock
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Jason, we manage the Register affiliate program and are offering life time value commission on hosting. Affiliates are welcome to use their own affiliate links to earn the commission on their own purchases. Annual hosting includes a domain: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=397

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Hostgator will stomp your site out like a cigarette butt and force a dedicated server down your throat if you start getting steady traffic.

lunarpages and inmotionhosting are solid as a rock

Anyone else have problems like this with HostGator? I am going to be purchasing a host and domain soon, was thinking GoDaddy and HostGator, and I want to make sure I get good, flexible, and long lasting ones.

Thanks,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Gamester
    Anyone else have problems like this with HostGator? I am going to be purchasing a host and domain soon, was thinking GoDaddy and HostGator, and I want to make sure I get good, flexible, and long lasting ones.

Thanks,
    Jason
    I have hosted with HostGator for a long time now.

I have never had any problems with them.

All of my site run from 5,000 to 40,000 pages and I have never had a problem with them about too much traffic.

I also run all different kinds of scripts on their servers and have never had any problems.

I changed to them because I always had problems with all of the other host I tried before them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Wow, that is impressive! My site won't have nearly that many pages. Guess I should be ok with the GoDaddy and HostGator combo then.

Thanks,
    Jason

Avoid 1and1 at any cost!! I've had very bad and costly experiences with them!

If you want a windows based server I highly recommend crystaltech.com. They have probably the best customer service i've ever experienced and they even LOWERED their prices once and automatically adjusted our pricing. They are around 24x7, located in arizona (so not so impervious to natural disasters like california). If you register your domain thru them you can get some good pricing and you have total ownership of it.

Like another poster mentioned, I like lunarpages.com. I moved to them from crystaltech when I had to go to an apache server for my joomla based site. They have pretty good support but it's not as readiy available as crystaltech. Their dedicated and vps server support is 24x7 though if you are upgrading .

Just remember that you get what you pay for! There's nothing worse that your site being down and you can't get a hold of someone to help. That's where the true value of your host comes into play. .

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast