Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Gotta Love Science :-)
    Marijuana, contrary to the conventional wisdom, may help ward off Alzheimer's and keep recall sharp: Source

I also heard that avid readers do not get Alzheimer's, either.

It's comforting to know my brain's pretty safe from dementia.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I tried gingko biloba for a while.
    Now I know I was taking it from the wrong end. lol
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

My mom had Alzheimer's but I doubt this news would have helped. I just can't picture her tokin a doobie, legal or not
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Reading the information on the back of your rolling paper box doesn't count, Rexanne....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Rexanne, I believe this post was in jest, but...

The researchers ducked the obvious question of whether it might be simpler, faster and cheaper to simply light up a joint. “Could people smoke marijuana to prevent Alzheimer’s disease if the disease is in their family?" Wenk said in a statement. "We’re not saying that, but it might actually work.”
    Dangerous assumption. A what age would one begin to light up? What about the multitude of bad side effects? A life time of pot smoking will provide one with a much higher risk (significantly higher than cigarettes) of dying from lung cancer. No need to worry about Alzheimer’s if you've already croaked from something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    Dangerous assumption. A what age would one begin to light up? What about the multitude of bad side effects? A life time of pot smoking will provide one with a much higher risk (significantly higher than cigarettes) of dying from lung cancer.
    I don't think that's true at all. Recent studies have shown that the carcinogenic effects of toxins in the smoke are actually outweighed by the anti cancer properties of THC

However even if these guys were recommending people smoke, which they aren't, you can simply eat brownies or use a vapouriser instead of smoking and avoid all the smoking related health risks.
    [B]Kier Marston[/B] - Account Manager
    Email/AIM/MSN: Kier@webgains.com
    [URL=http://us.webgains.com/affiliates.html]Join Webgains[/URL] , Read [URL=http://usablog.webgains.com/]our blog[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Are we discussing the ways (illegal) drugs can be taken on this forum now?

Come on guys.

Sorry I didn't realise that was against the rules.
    [URL=http://us.webgains.com/affiliates.html]Join Webgains[/URL] , Read [URL=http://usablog.webgains.com/]our blog[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Are we discussing the ways (illegal) drugs can be taken on this forum now?
    not me, but I could see marijuana becoming legal in my lifetime, and I'm actually not opposed to the idea.

ABW Ambassador
    Well it is legal in some countries and some places here in the U.S. Some of those places straight up, some with a ion. And it was an Ohio State University scientists study and "The research suggests that the development of a legal drug that contains certain properties similar to those in marijuana might help prevent or delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease."

If anything out there can help prevent or delay, I think it should be looked at.

I think I got the science behind it, it is not really science though if you could just imagine it. You have a grandmother who is lets say 84 has alz. if you were to convince her to smoke a joint or take a hit off of a bong/hookah then you know she definitely has alz. So she takes a hit, coughs for about a hour, and then for the next 3 hours she is laughing and has the major case of the munchies and is very talkative because it is a DRUG. When the effects have worn off she wants more because what is better laughing eating and talking, and since she is having a hard time to do that without it she will remember. But now because she wants more you have now made your grandma a drug addict, pot is a drug, it is illegal, unless you have a medical mari. pass from your doctor and your state. I think feeding it to our older generation is a horrible idea all the way around.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Hi Jodyq,

If you check the article you'll see they aren't actually suggesting getting grandma high and breaking out the cheetos:

"The team suggested that a drug could be formulated that would resemble tetrahydroannibol, or THC, the psychoactive ingredient in pot sans making the user high. But the research may ultimately drive those who fear impending dementia to roll their own solution to the problem.

Study co-author Gary Wenk, a professor of psychology, had already devised a preliminary version of a THC-like synthetic drug that improves memory in lab animals. His team at the meeting said that it works by activating at least three receptors in the brain targeted by THC—proteins on the surface of nerve cells that then trigger cellular processes resulting in reduced inflammation and production of new brain cells that can boost recall."

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    I think I got the science behind it, it is not really science though if you could just imagine it. You have a grandmother who is lets say 84 has alz. if you were to convince her to smoke a joint or take a hit off of a bong/hookah then you know she definitely has alz. So she takes a hit, coughs for about a hour, and then for the next 3 hours she is laughing and has the major case of the munchies and is very talkative because it is a DRUG. When the effects have worn off she wants more because what is better laughing eating and talking, and since she is having a hard time to do that without it she will remember. But now because she wants more you have now made your grandma a drug addict, pot is a drug, it is illegal, unless you have a medical mari. pass from your doctor and your state. I think feeding it to our older generation is a horrible idea all the way around.
    I don't think you got the science behind it, because I didn't see it in your post. You can read some here - http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-sah111408.php

I didn't read the link, I am opposed to marijuana as any kind of a cure. Thats just me, ask my husband he will have a different view. Just the idea crossed my head of my grandma who does have alz. lighting up a joint it made me giggle and then I had the thought of granny becoming addicted and it made me sick. Science changes every day that is the beauty of it, if they could take the agent out of pot that does the curing and do a long term double blind study and it passes then hit me up. When it comes to this I don't know if they could look at long term effects of alz patients because uh well the majority are really old and probably have more health related issues.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

You don't have to smoke it. There are vaporizers and various other ways to administer it.

Uh... not that I would know anything about that type of thing... no... not me...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Pot is legal in some states and the Feds are trying to overturn that PLUS coddling pharma companies who are trying like mad to get THC into a "legal" drug so they can reap the financial rewards of this "horrible drug."

The reason it's legal for "medical" use is because it works for many ailments. The way I see it, I'd rather smoke a J than ingest a nasty drug that'll give me way more side effects than an occasional hit off a bong or whatever.

Also please note that in my original post, I mentioned that "avid readers" don't seem to develop Alzheimer's either. So, fire it up or read like your brain depends on it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread