ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone know how to get marks off concrete? I play ball with my dog in a communal driveway and my neighbor had a conniption fit b/c the marks made from the tennis ball aren't washing off.

I went out there with a cleaner with bleach and a scrub brush but not all the marks are coming off. My neighbor said that was b/c the dog slobber from the ball was eating into the concrete. I've never heard of that and it seems quite far fetched to me (forget those sledgehammers, just put some dog slobber on that concrete! ) but I have absolutely no handyman abilities so I have no idea whether he's full of it or not.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to get the marks off? These are small round marks from a tennis ball.

Many thanks!
    Kip

I know Coca Cola takes oil stains out of concrete......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kip:
    Does anyone know how to get marks off concrete? I play ball with my dog in a communal driveway and my neighbor had a conniption fit b/c the marks made from the tennis ball aren't washing off.

I went out there with a cleaner with bleach and a scrub brush but not all the marks are coming off. My neighbor said that was b/c the dog slobber from the ball was eating into the concrete. I've never heard of that and it seems quite far fetched to me (forget those sledgehammers, just put some dog slobber on that concrete! ) but I have absolutely no handyman abilities so I have no idea whether he's full of it or not.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to get the marks off? These are small round marks from a tennis ball.

Many thanks!
    Kip<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOur neighbor is all full of dog slobber... I have 30+ years experience as a remodeling contractor... living in "gated communities" is the pits... because this is where the all the fuss pots live...

there isn't much that can be done with your problem.. short of pouring acid on the marks and etching the surface... this will remove the marks but lightten the surface... not to mention that working with acids is very dangerious...

If it were me I'd blow off the moron!

on a side note: do you know how to use datafeeds?? if so PM me ...

Joe

net-aholic at work.... too busy to smell the roses....

Animal Lover
    Kip, Kip,

the only active ingredients in dog's saliva (or ours for that matter) is an enzyme called ptyalin. It's a digestive enzyme that starts the breakdown of starch in the mouth. I can't imagine it being so harsh that it would eat into the concrete...if so, then you really wouldn't want your dog to lick you would you? Tell your neighbour that your vet says it's not the case...

Oscar

Animal Lover
    Having said that, I think concrete is porous(?) (unless it's sealed) so it will absorb all sorts of stuff.

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Sounds like you have an idiot neighbour like we do here
    Tell him to clean it himself if he is so worried about an outside driveway having marks on it.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    Kip,

Your neighbor doesn't know what he's talking about. Dog drool doesn't do anything other than make marks that can be washed away with water.

As for the marks on the concrete, pour straight bleach on them. You may want to use a spray bottle to make it easier, but throw the bottle away when you're finished. Best time to do it is late morning when it's sunny. Make sure it's good and wet although not soaking. Combination of the bleach and sun should take the marks out.

The reason your scrubbing with bleach didn't work is that it takes time for bleach to work. The sun will make it work faster.

Also in the spirit of Thanksgiving, give your neighbor the bird. He must be a joy to live around.

Your neighbor is a jerk go kick his ass.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replies. I will try out the suggestions.

Yes, he's quite an unhappy individual and anything that disrupts "his" little corner of the world he has a hissy fit about. Most of the time I feel sorry for him, but when he has a tantrum over something stupid like this it drives me nuts.

I spend 20 minutes twice a day playing fetch with my dog and we are really quiet but I know just the fact we are out there ticks him off. ... So, of course, after I get the marks off I plan on being out there a whole lot more.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
    Kip

PS to Joe - sorry, I'm not into datafeeds so can't help you out. Check out the datafeeds section though. It's got some good information.

Kip try OXY Clean and mixed it with dishwashing detergent and brush round clock, it usually work.

Sorry about having a pita neighbor!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Have your dog take a dump on the spots. That'll clear them up and maybe your neighbor will step in it.

Get a large drill with a masonary bit and drill out all the spots. That'll show that sob not to mess with someone that knows Heyder.

What you need to do is change the oil in your car over the general area of the spots. As you are draining your oil, “accidentally” spill it all over the concrete. It won’t get your dog drool up, but I guarantee you that your neighbor will stop ing about the little spots.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

I have an idea that might just work, but it all depends on the texture and coarseness of the concrete.

First what you need to do is buy 3 bottles of Jones turkey and gravy flavored soda, this can be purchased on Ebay, if you need a link I will send you my affiliate link, that nickel will come in handy for xmas.

Feed your dog all 3 bottles of turkey and gravy flavored soda, bring him for a 10 minute walk, it'll take this long for the soda to kick into action. After 10 minutes bring the dog back to the communal driveway and let him crap in every corner. When your slap-head of a neighbor comes out and sees dog crap trickling down the driveway, he'll completely forget about the tennis ball marks

ABW Ambassador
    You guys crack me up!

What's so annoying about this is that his car DOES leave oil spots. There are tons of them where he parks it. Guess oil spots aren't nearly as bad as dog slobber. Who knew? You would think those who live in glass houses wouldn't cast stones, but no, they are the ones that just keep firing away.

Sounds like a Judge Judy episode.

Remember to kick some butt and curse a lot, call the police, then I can see you on TV!

SandraR<FONT face=Arial size=2>

</FONT>

ABW Ambassador
    Damn!!! Tell this guy he can clean up the scuff marks while he's cleaning up the oil marks!! What an idiot this guy must be!!!

I don't quite understand -

Tennis balls are yellow (maybe green?)

Dog slobber is almost colorless.

What color could these marks be that is so obvious to a person that can overlook oil stains in his own little paved corner of the world?

Worst comes to worst, check out the bylaws of the community association. I would be dollars to donuts that there is a provision against doing any kind of automotive work, including changing oil.
    Then post it on his door and tell him you'll look the other way if he will. Push comes to shove, any Homeowner's Association will throw the book at him and thank you for giving them a good reason to do so.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Tell this guy he can clean up the scuff marks while he's cleaning up the oil marks!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, definitely. Never humor an idiot like that, you'll just get worse of the same type treatment for all your efforts!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by etlt:
    Have your dog take a dump on the spots. That'll clear them up and maybe your neighbor will step in it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Better yet -
    dump; paper bag; porch; match; doorbell

Rent a pressure washer for the day and clean the whole driveway..it will look so much better your neighbor will not worry.

Bill

ABW Ambassador
    The marks were a light gray. They were caused by the slightly wet tennis balls hitting the pavement. It turns out that the stuff I did last night ended up taking away a lot of it and I sprayed bleach this morning and it's taking the rest of it away.

If he says anything else to me about it, I'm going to tell him to stuff it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Look4:
    I don't quite understand -

Tennis balls are yellow (maybe green?)

Dog slobber is almost colorless.

What color could these marks be that is so obvious to a person that can overlook oil stains in his own little paved corner of the world?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I about 2 weeks from retirement from the army, my husband of course had to find us a place to live. So he found a lovely house and took a few pieces of furniture to tide him over until the big move.

While he was all by himself he decided that throwing a tennis ball against the wall for his dog to catch was a grand thing to do.

Finally I arrive at our new home to see BLACK MARKES all over the wall. THEN AND ONLY THEN did it hit him that tossing a ball against the wall making marks was not a good idea.

You would be surprised at what a tennis ball and dog slobber will do. As I love this man to no end, I simply asked him to drive to Wal-Mart and pick up some paint.

SandraR<FONT face=Arial size=2>

</FONT>

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread