ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone know what pop-up blockers block the html code to open a link in a new window (_blank)? I have noticed that Yahoo now has a pop-up blocker in it's companion software.

It would be nice to know this and/or which pop-up blockers are friendly to this.

ABW Ambassador
    IMHO, I do not think Yahoo will block _blank because they use it in directory to open links in new windows.

Affiliate Manager
    I have yet to see a pop blocker that blocks new window links. Is there any ones verified to do so yet? I thought I seen a thread about this before.

Sometimes.. rarely.. the Google Toolbar has a bit of a fit and stops _blank links working. However, popups usually rely on javascript so it's a different launch mechanism.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Several days ago I noticed Google search results opening in a new window. Anyone else seing this?

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by erninator:
    Several days ago I noticed Google search results opening in a new window. Anyone else seing this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You might have a stuck shift key. It happens to my alt key all the time.

------------------------------
    "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

Alexa blocks target ="blank"

Is the assumption that if you have
    target="new" it does NOT block it? It does block "blank"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by erninator:
    Several days ago I noticed Google search results opening in a new window. Anyone else seing this?

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to the Google home page and click on the little preferences link. The last option on the page is whether to open search results in a new page or not.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Affiliate Manager
    I have tried the following and they all let new windows open just fine.

Google Toolbar
    Yahoo Companion
    Alexa

Didn't see any new (blank) windows being blocked whatsoever.

Do you have the *newest* alexa toobar? Mine blocks ALL target = blank.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Affiliate Manager
    I downloaded it today so it is probably the newest. It seems to be letting all new windows open up just fine.

That is odd . I will redownload and see what happens, maybe they fixed the blocker.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Google toolbar and Alexa both block new windows for me intermittently. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's like they are testing or something. Sometimes even links here that open new are blocked and sometimes even newsletter sign-ups or other regular nav links on a site that open in new window are blocked. Drives me nuts! But I SWEAR it happens VERY often, you just have to keep your eyes open.

Here is a review of blockers and whether they block new windows. Can't verify how up to date or correct the info is, but I have posted this several times before.

http://www.popup-killer-review.com/i...popup-stop.htm

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    FYI for those that just do occasional testing, I don't think you will get the full story.
    I have been using the G&A toolbars constantly for several months.

I visit alot of forums besides this one and almost all open links in new windows. The Gbar has been blocking off & on for a long time for me. But it's very subtle. Sometimes I don't even notice it's blocking. I've just gotten in the habit, if a link does not work I press control enter and then it does.

The Alexa blocker is much more obvious. It pops up a window that asks if you want to allow the popup, so you can't miss it. For me, it has just recently started blocking new windows. Never did before. And I have not downloaded a new version. It just recently started blocking new windows, but is doing so inconsistantly.

Right now, I just clicked both the links in my sig and they opened fine. Earlier today I was getting some blocks with either G or A occasionally. No rhyme or reason that I can see.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No rhyme or reason that I can see.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Now on my computer at home it allows it to open in new browsers and sometimes it doesn't. Very weird...

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread