Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Temp. employee trampled to death on "Black Friday"
    Jdimytai Damour of Queens was trampled to death today at a Wal-Mart store located in Valley Stream on Long Island (New York) at 5 AM and would be pronounced dead at 6AM.

The story as told in the article, Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down is quite shocking especially when one weighs the worth of a life against the popular items on sale:
    Items on sale at the store included a Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV for $798, a Bissel Compact Upright Vacuum for $28, a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs such as "The Incredible Hulk" for $9.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    Four other people were injured including a 28 year-old pregnant woman.
    "He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."
    Wal-Mart worker trampled to death
    Shoppers have been turned into mobs of savages by advertising and the push to shop as early as 5 AM.
    Shoppers stepped over the man on the ground and streamed into the store. When told to leave, they complained that they had been in line since Thursday morning.
    [snip]
    "This crowd was out of control," said Nassau police spokesman Lt. Michael Fleming. He described the scene as "utter chaos," and said the store didn't have enough security.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    I really feel sorry for the temporary worker who was killed in this brutal manner.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It was tragic. If you've ever been at the front of a mob, there's nothing you can do. You can't stop the push from behind.

The thing about the media..... I can imagine this exact same scene took place in thousands of stores across the country without incident. That didn't make the headlines...

I totally understand that it was an accident. But how in the world could people think that it was okay to take the doors of the Walmart off the hinges and break in???
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    It was tragic. If you've ever been at the front of a mob, there's nothing you can do. You can't stop the push from behind.

The thing about the media..... I can imagine this exact same scene took place in thousands of stores across the country without incident. That didn't make the headlines...
    Of course the other scenes didn't make the headlines -- at least not yet. Because no one died.

Who knew we'd reach such a state of frenzy for material goodies that we'd need to keep a national "XX dead, XX injured" tally for Black Friday.

Good Lord, I really do think it's worse than it used to be. I don't recall (it's been awhile and I may just have forgotten) any deaths and/or serious injuries during the shopping mania in the 1980s for Cabbage Patch dolls.
    Generate more fake news.

Helpingmoms, I have that question too.

It turns my stomach when people were asked to leave some of them protested that they had been standing in line since Thursday.

I understand that the 5 AM push is so such a participating store will make money and I understand that shoppers want to save money on items but the limited amount of "prized inventory" turns holiday shopping into a savage competition.
    I also feel sorry for employees who might have to wake up at 3:30 AM after Thanksgiving in order to arrive at work by 5 AM.

Frankly it would be better if the 5 AM sale was switched to the Internet. Stores could assign X amount of the inventory of digital cameras or whatever to Internet sales and encourage people to shop online at 5 AM -- that would be good.

I understand that some people actually enjoy the 5 AM sales: they arrive with their friends, shop, and then eat breakfast at a diner or something and make a day of it.

I'm all for shopping the day after Thanksgiving, I just wish something could be done so it doesn't turn into a violent mob competition. Maybe stores should be barricaded? Why can't people wait nicely for the doors to open?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Good Lord, I really do think it's worse than it used to be. I don't recall (it's been awhile and I may just have forgotten) any deaths and/or serious injuries during the shopping mania in the 1980s for Cabbage Patch dolls.
    I used to lament the violence of mobs at British Football events as summarized here:
    http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough...disasters.shtm

Our shopping frenzy is turning out to be violent, and like the [British Football] stadiums our shopping meccas seem to have "inadequate safety procedures and policing."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I totally understand that it was an accident.
    An accident?

Knocking the guy down may have been an accident, but tramping over the guy on the floor just for a bargain at the store, can't be called just an accident.

If this news is repeated again on Christmas Day on TV, maybe some of those that trampled the guy to death, can watch what they did on their new cheaper Plasma-TV.

This is just sickening. "Things" aren't worth trampling someone to death over. And the fact that the police and paramedics trying to help the poor guy were jostled and pushed to the ground as well is almost as bad.

This is why I never go out the day after Thanksgiving if I can avoid it. I can't stand crowds, especially as savage as those.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

This is extremely tragic.
    The man who was killed sounds like a sweet, eady going guy who was trying to earn extra money during the holiday season.
    Friends: Wal-Mart victim was easygoing, helpful

This is how The New York Times describes the scene leading to his death:
    By 4:55, with no police officers in sight, the crowd of more than 2,000 had become a rabble, and could be held back no longer. Fists banged and shoulders pressed on the sliding-glass double doors, which bowed in with the weight of the assault. Six to 10 workers inside tried to push back, but it was hopeless.

Suddenly, witnesses and the police said, the doors shattered, and the shrieking mob surged through in a blind rush for holiday bargains. One worker, Jdimytai Damour, 34, was thrown back onto the black linoleum tiles and trampled in the stampede that streamed over and around him. Others who had stood alongside Mr. Damour trying to hold the doors were also hurled back and run over, witnesses said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/bu...t.html?_r=2&hp
    Here's a photo-slide collection of the ugly mob photos entitled: Death at Wal-Mart
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

So far no one have mentioned the store security videos.

But probably the proper authorities are reviewing those tapes by now, in order to see if they can charge a few people with... (something)

There have been comparisons between current events (particularly bank closings) and "The Great Depression."
    People might complain about the bailouts but [it's good that] we haven't witnessed in current times "bank runs" where people run to the bank in desperate attempts to withdraw money.

This incident at Wal-Mart reminds me of ugly bank runs.
    An article from Newsday.com gives an interesting account by psychologists who say that greed for bargains was not the main factor in the consumer stampede but fear. Some people are afraid that they will not be able to buy gifts this season. Read this very interesting article from psychological and sociological perspectives [the article mentions mob behavior at Rock concerts -- there's a video too]:
    A fear of being unable to afford gifts - given today's economic woes - may drive many consumers to shop competitively for bargains at dawn, say local psychologists and sociologists.
    [snip]
    "Judgement, intelligence, different kinds of value, compassion - these things go out the window," Knafo said. "Fear and passion take over."
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny...,3819330.story
    The ability to get gifts at significant discounts provided a motivation propelled by fear as if [i.e. during "The Great Depression"] people were mobbing banks and trying to withdraw as much money as possible.
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 29th, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    But probably the proper authorities are reviewing those tapes by now, in order to see if they can charge a few people with... (something)
    One article said it was very difficult to pin-point individuals because there were so many at the door -- which unfortunately was a sliding glass door [or sliding door of some sort].

The sad thing is that the family will probably be limited to workman's compensation
    http://www.workmanscompensationlawye..._benefits.html
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador

I think they know who they should charge. The first name is sam...

Walmart setup this disaster to happen, cheaped out on not having security and have had this sort of thing happen before - just not ending in death.

A fear of being unable to afford gifts
    How about the fear of receiving a gift from a friend or relative, and later find out that the gift was acquired through an event, that caused someone to die?

One article said it was very difficult to pin-point individuals because there were so many at the door -- which unfortunately was a sliding glass door.
    Supposedly, all those mayor stores will have at least one camera pointing at the entrance/exit doors, so it might be difficult, but not impossible, to find what they need to find. (Unless they didn't had a real and working camera, at that moment.)

How about the fear of receiving a gift from a friend or relative, and later find out that the gift was acquired through an event, that caused someone to die?
    If you read the newsday article you'll see how "individual judgment can melt away as people react to being jostled in a crowd."

Some people might have reacted in an abnormal way because of the crowded circumstances and the overwhelming feeling of being in the crowd.

But you are right, Mr. Sal, I doubt anyone really wants a plasma tv dripping with blood.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf

Walmart setup this disaster to happen, cheaped out on not having security and have had this sort of thing happen before - just not ending in death.
    Bingo - not having security in place after this same type of stampede happened last year is negligible. And yes, it should have been in place at every single WalMart store across the country.

Not that the stupid f***ing people who stampeded like animals aren't to blame - they are, but if this could have been avoided it should have been and with proper security in place, it would never have happened.

If enough people get killed while trying to shop among animalistic crowds, we'll all be making money as people shop online to avoid putting themselves in harm's way. I don't see where bargain shopping is *smart* ... it's becoming a liability.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    ... we'll all be making money as people shop online to avoid putting themselves in harm's way. I don't see where bargain shopping is *smart* ... it's becoming a liability.
    It would be great if more people turned to online shopping.

If Wal-mart or another store wanted to play the "limited inventory game" they could create a banner/graphic that says "click here to see if you were lucky enough to buy [item] at [price]" -- it would be a little like gambling.

One article said that Wal-mart had a limited number of televisions [or some type of item] at a great price but then the rest of the same items were sold at a more expensive price. The Wal-mart devils just want to hook customers in and they don't care if they run out of the desired item[s] at the desired price[s] -- it's a trick.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    If enough people get killed while trying to shop among animalistic crowds, we'll all be making money as people shop online to avoid putting themselves in harm's way. I don't see where bargain shopping is *smart* ... it's becoming a liability.
    Don't be too sure about that...

Because just the way it's now, the parasites are the ones making the big money...

Btw, the death at Walmart, was not the only one they mention on TV, I heard about two guys that killed eachother on another store, yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    One article said that Wal-mart had a limited number of televisions [or some type of item] at a great price but then the rest of the same items were sold at a more expensive price. The Wal-mart devils just want to hook customers in and they don't care if they run out of the desired item[s] at the desired price[s] -- it's a trick.
    That's not a trick!

That's what is called a loose-leader. (or something like that, I forgot how to spell it.)

Don't be too sure about that...
    Because just the way it's now, the parasites are the ones making the big money...
    Yeah, and some networks almost seem to want things to stay that way -- facilitating parasite sales
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

NY Daily News article & more photos:

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

Damour, a temporary maintenance worker from Jamaica, Queens, was gasping for air as shoppers continued to surge into the store after its 5 a.m. opening, witnesses said.

Even officers who arrived to perform CPR on the trampled worker were stepped on by wild-eyed shoppers streaming inside, a cop at the scene said.

"They pushed him down and walked all over him," Damour's sobbing sister, Danielle, 41, said. "How could these people do that?
    [snip]
    Chanting "push the doors in," the crowd pressed against the glass as the clock ticked down to the 5 a.m. opening.

Sensing catastrophe, nervous employees formed a human chain inside the entrance to slow down the mass of shoppers.

It didn't work.

The mob barreled in and overwhelmed workers.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...art_after.html
    http://www.nydailynews.com/money/gal..._pictures.html
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I really can't blame a company for the behavior of people. There is no reason other than a total lack of concern for human life that could have caused this sick behavior. People have become selfish, narcissist-like barbarians...which is one reason I love working from home. I worked in retail long enough to see similar madness. One of the biggest shoplifting holidays was Easter. People wanted to look good for Easter Sunday. The fact that their clothing was stolen was a moot point. Now it's murder in exchange for a $100 savings...or less. My guess is most of those savages were bombarding the doors to browse.

Its kind of like can a gun pull the trigger?

People scare the hell out of me.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

someone mentioned the paramedics being jostled too. My son is a paramedic in London. He has to wear a stab vest to work because of attacks. People are selfish and dont give a monkeys if you are there to help them or not.

ad yes, you can bame a company for the peoples behaviour. They know how people get, we see it every year, people have been hurt before, it was only a matter of time til someone was killed. The stores know the risks and they push the advertising frenzy coz it makes money... yes I blame the stores too...

I'll reword it - I choose not to blame the company. I blame the people who did it.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I'll reword it - I choose not to blame the company. I blame the people who did it.
    Well the company facilitated the barbaric actions by goading a crowd of people into a position to become cut-throat competitive for a limited supply of desired discounted goods without consideration of public safety.

Wal-mart provided the venue of blood.

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500, the state of New York's largest grocery worker's union, believes the massacre could have been avoided:
    "This incident was avoidable," said Bruce Both, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500, the state of New York's largest grocery worker's union. "Where were the safety barriers? Where was security? How did store management not see dangerous numbers of customers barreling down on the store in such an unsafe manner?

"This is not just tragic; it rises to a level of blatant irresponsibility by Wal-Mart," he said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/29/bla...ef=mpstoryview
    The supervisor from the temp. agency seems to blame Wal-mart for engaging him in a job function he wasn't hired to do:
    Damour's supervisor at the temp service where he worked complained that Wal-Mart wasn't using him for the intended job.

"He wasn't supposed to be working security on the door," she quoted him as saying. She seemed to be blaming the store for creating the situation that lead to the man's death.
    http://cbs4denver.com/business/Jdimy....2.876389.html
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 29th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast