Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Anybody know what this means. I was checking my transactions and i got a sale with SID NOTPASSED in the SID field.

Sales are everywhere, Sales are mine.

I think it means that the advertiser does not support SID tracking. You should use ask a question to find out for sure.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Errr, how do we know if a merchant does not support SID tracking? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ABW Ambassador
    What exactly is SID tracking. Using ask a question takes forever. Todd is there any way you can find out. Isn't this something you should know? You said "i think it means"

I'm relatively new here, i don't know what it means when your're a special liasion. Thanks for any help.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1 on November 20, 2002 at 02:16 PM.]

quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    What exactly is SID tracking. Using ask a question takes forever. Todd is there any way you can find out. Isn't this something you should know? You said "i think it means"

I'm relatively new here, i don't know what it means when your're a special liasion. Thanks for any help.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1 on November 20, 2002 at 02:16 PM.]

I might be able to help a little here, Trust.The SID is the three digit code that was added on the back of Visa cards as an added protection against card theft and fraud. Some merchant gateway companies allow you to check this card ID also in your transactions...but since it is a fairly new process, many have not come on board yet.

I think that message means that the customers SID check did not pass the security search.

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

SID = Shopper ID

If you are a charity, or a company that offers rebates (money back) to your customers, you would use this feature to track each of your customers, and assign each transaction (sale or lead) to individual customers. The SID should be added to each link you use.

CJ def:

SID: Shopper ID that enable publishers to track the origin of their referred sales and leads.

quote:
    Originally posted by webmistress:
    Errr, how do we know if a merchant does not support SID tracking? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Very good question and I would also like to know about this. I have stayed away from using the SID as I was worried it would screw up my tracking (AND SALES!). But I would really like to use it so I can find out what is working on my sites and what is not.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

About 99% of merchants support SID. If in doubt, contact the merchant, they should know. I think that one of the few merchants not to support SID is FirstUSA.

Merchants that batch transactions usually don't support SID.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the help, i emailed the merchant for clarification. It's a merchant that batches so maybe thats why.

ABW Ambassador
    SID is very simple to use. It's just a way for you to track who is buying what.

For example, if you have a email list you send, you can embed the person's email as a SID:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-123-321?SID=<email-address>

So when that person clicks on that link, their email address would be recorded as the SID.

On your website you can use the sid in many other ways. If you assign a user name to your visitors, you can do the same thing.

Or perhaps you want to track when they came to your site compared to when you actually made the same. If you use SSI , you can do this:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-123-321?SID=<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL"-->

(don't forget to set your date format in your html)

You can use the query string:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-123-321?SID=< !--#echo var="QUERY_STRING" -->

You can just use a constant if you like:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-123-321?SID=mysite

If you are using a Ppc engine you can do:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-123-321?SID=search_Term

for your url.

A SID has nothing to do with credit card verifiction.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

AffJus is right on the many uses of the SID field. If you use the SID field it has no effect on tracking, even if the advertiser doesn't support it.

Do not use personally identifiable information (eg. email addresses) in the SID fields. CJ does not want this type of data passed to us and if you read the publisher service agreement, it forbids publishers from doing this.

See below:
    5.2 Collection and Use of Transaction Data. CJ does not collect information about a Visitor's Transactions, other than what it receives through the installed tracking code. CJ reserves the right to be able to utilize this data, which may include information about Your performance statistics, to analyze Network Service trends, monitor Network Service efficiencies, maintain the integrity of the tracking code, promote Network Service capabilities and efficiencies, and promote You and Your Web site or subscription e-mail performance to Advertisers. CJ may also disclose data regarding a Visitor's Transactions to You, if You referred the Visitor to the Advertiser, for the performance of this Agreement and to the Advertiser for the performance of the Advertiser's Advertiser Service Agreement, and for Your use for rewards programs that the Visitor is a member of (on the condition that the Visitor has authorized release of such information to You).

5.3 Collection and Confidentiality of Visitors' Personal Data. CJ promises not to disclose publicly, other than under compulsion of law, including subpoena, any personal or business information that can be linked specifically to any Visitors to Your Web site that result directly from Links on Your Web sites and/or subscription e-mail mailings without the Visitor's express permission (which may be through the Visitor's membership to Your subscription e-mail or Web site program), to the extent CJ collects any such information, including, but not limited to, the Visitor's name, e-mail address, phone number, or any other personal information.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

AffJus,

Thanks for the VERY helpful information. Now I have so many choices (lol), but I'm thrilled to see we have that many options.

A darn shame we can't use their email address, as Todd posted later. That would have been a real asset.

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

7-days,

Create IDs for your email addresses and use the IDs in the SID fields (instead of the email addresses). Most publishers send us customer IDs in the SID fields - this way only they know who their customers are and they aren't sending us any personally identifiable information. The SID field supports up to 64 alpha-numeric characters.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I'll give it a try on one of my sties. Thanks Todd!

Hope your England trip, if you are now back, was more than just business and you got to enjoy a little bit of the area for pleasure.

I'm in London all week. 50 degrees and rainy - not much to enjoy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] No offense to any Londoners out there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

It's called weather Todd, I guess you don't have it in Santa Barbara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This is all very useful to know. I'm going to have to go away and think about this now!

Меня зовут Динаму

We have weather in Santa Barbara - it's called 72 and sunny! I get to ride a motorcycle year-round. That is my kind of weather. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Here in the Midwest (Nebraska) we have both hot and cold weather. Unfortunately, we can have both within a 24 hour period. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Just read about SID method, I noticed it before, but though it was for special publishers, where is the help or explanation on SID in CJ? Same happened to me with feeds, may be I'm missing a lot of juicy info, all of this stuff is explained in the publisher manual ????

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:

Do not use personally identifiable information (eg. email addresses) in the SID fields. CJ does not want this type of data passed to us and if you read the publisher service agreement, it forbids publishers from doing this.

Opps. I'm sorry about that. I don't use it personally... but I never knew it was prohibited either. I tried to remove that part from the post, but it won't let me. Maybe Haiko can do it for me. Thanks and sorry about that.

Does anyone know if SID works with advanced linking? I mean, if I have a link like this, where do I put the SID?

http://www.qksrv.net/click-123-321?u...om%2Fpage.html

Hi Ron;

Try this:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-123-321?S...om%2Fpage.html

It's worked for me. I love SID's

- Ed

Thanks Ed! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, that will work in the URL, but DOUBLE CHECK the url. I've been having fits all week with URLs not working.

As you know we are supposed to use the codes for the special characters like :/, . ' etc.

But using the SID= and URL= together with the special codes, sometimes does not work. I'm pulling my hair out over it.

BUT, the good news is that just cutting and pasting the URL from the merchants websites IS working just fine.

So, double check your links to be sure they are going to the merchant page you expect and if not, try cutting and pasting the url directly from the merchant's page.

I wish they'd get rid of the codes altogether.

Well, I tried using the SID and the URL and I don't think it works. I went and clicked on those links yestarday and when I looked at my reports today I could not see anything different (meaning my special SID codes were not there).

I redirect nearly all my visitor links to a specific page at my merchants so I need to be able to use the SID and URL combo. Guess I'll send a specific link to CJ customer support and see what they say about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast